Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

infection after eye removal in cat

ruby227
November 21st, 2007, 10:38 AM
Hi everyone. I'm really worried about my 12 year old cat Percy. At the vet's recommendation he had 4 teeth removed just over a month ago. He was fine for 2 days after the op but within a week he had developed a nasty ear and eye infection which got so bad that he had his eye removed. I was very angry and upset about this and ended up changing vets but things have gone from bad to worse. Last weekend his empty eye socket swelled up. I took him back to the vet on monday who said it was either blood or an infection in the socket. Antibiotics were prescribed. Last night, the swelling was HUGE and pus started seeping out. My partner and I were up all night wiping pus and blood from the wound. I rang the vet again this morning and was surprised that he didnt want to see Percy and said just to keep giving him the antiibiotics until our pre-arranged appointment on Saturday. Has anyone else had an eye removed from a cat and had problems or, indeed, had such a bad infection set in after dental work?

Love4himies
November 21st, 2007, 10:52 AM
Sorry to hear about your cat, poor kitty:sad:. I haven't had your experience as my cats were prescribed antibiotics to take for a week afterwards when they have gone in for dental work.

ruby227
November 21st, 2007, 10:57 AM
thanks.....the thing is he has been on antibiotics more or less constantly since the dental work was done. He's a housecat and he's been tested for FIV, leukaemia etc but all the tests were negative. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed he's going to be ok now.

badger
November 21st, 2007, 11:16 AM
Poor Percy, sounds like a nasty bug. It's always hard to say where animals catch these infections but more than likely it was brewing even before the operation. I do find your ex-vet a little bit negligent, leading to a pretty damn radical outcome.

I would take him back in and ask for a culture. If the infection is not responding to treatment, the vet needs to find a more effective medication.

When you are cleaning out the socket, add a tiny pinch of salt to the warm water, it helps.

ruby227
November 21st, 2007, 11:32 AM
Thank you for the advice - I appreciate it.

After Percy had the dental work done, the vet told me that his gums had been very badly infected and full of pus, which they drained. My opinion is that they should have treated that particular infection BEFORE the surgery rather than just going ahead regardless. I really do think that would have avoided the other infection(s) kicking in while he was in a weakened state.

bendyfoot
November 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM
Sometimes bad abcesses in the mouth (caused by dental disease):sad:, like the one your describing, can actually work their way though other tissues in the face and head, coming through and becoming evident on the cheeks and near the eyes. Its possible that the eye infection had been there already, and this would have happened regardless :sad:...something that bad often needs surgical intervention and no amount of medication can help.

ruby227
November 22nd, 2007, 04:38 AM
Percy's eye still has pus coming out of it all the time but its obviously a good thing as the swelling is definitely going down :) Its a pain to have to keep wiping and washing all the time but it'll be worth it in the end.

Love4himies
November 22nd, 2007, 08:30 AM
Thank you for the advice - I appreciate it.

After Percy had the dental work done, the vet told me that his gums had been very badly infected and full of pus, which they drained. My opinion is that they should have treated that particular infection BEFORE the surgery rather than just going ahead regardless. I really do think that would have avoided the other infection(s) kicking in while he was in a weakened state.

I had a bad abcess in one of my molars and the dentist had to pull the tooth before starting antibiotics. Maybe this is the same type of case your poor Percy had?

I am glad to hear the swelling has gone down.:thumbs up

chico2
November 22nd, 2007, 08:53 AM
IMO.for all it's worth,the eye-problem was very likely related to the gum-infection.
Bad teeth and gums can cause all kind of serious problems in a cat.
I had something similar happen to one of my cats a long time ago,his eye was not removed,intensive antibiotic treatment eventually cleared up his problem.
I am glad to hear Percy is doing better and hoping for complete recovery.:fingerscr
One thing I learned from my Sammys experience,I now check my cats teeth regularly,to nip any problem in the bud,before it becomes a dangerous infection.

growler~GateKeeper
November 23rd, 2007, 12:49 AM
Glad the swelling is going down :highfive: keep doing what you're doing :thumbs up