Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I Get My Dog Back???

WeAreOne
November 21st, 2007, 03:16 AM
I had the greatest dog and gave him to the people who would take him when I would go out of town. He seemed to be so happy when they came to get him and they seemed to love him so much. They also has another dog and they seemed have such a great time together. My husband was having breathing ploblems and has athsma. I had to make a painful decision to let them keep him permanetly. It was emotionaly hard for me to let him go and I would cry every time I would think about him or talk to them on the phone. When I did feel strong enough to see him without breaking down. they would not return my phone calls. I spoke with some one who said she saw them, and that my dog is extremly obese now. He can hardly walk, even though he was perfectly healthy 8 month ago. She thinks that is why they won't let me see him. I don't know what is the moral or ethical thing to do in this situation. please help!!!!!!

Love4himies
November 21st, 2007, 07:01 AM
Unless you had a contract, the way I see it is you gave up your rights to the dog when you gave him away.

Perhaps the best thing is to contact a lawyer.

CyberKitten
November 22nd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Do you have a written contract? That said, I think you do have to ask what is best for the dog and your husband and not just you though you do have to take your own needs into account. However, for me- looking at it objectively - the question is is the dog is best with you or them?

wdawson
November 22nd, 2007, 09:51 PM
why such concern now?.....you did give your dog away!

jiorji
November 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
maybe they don't want to talk to you because it's hard for the dog to see you . You gave him up.

If i adopted someone else's dog i wouldn't let them come see it. It's not permanent dog sitting.

and you should see if the dog is overweight yourself, not go by what someone else said...even if they're a friend:o

WeAreOne
November 23rd, 2007, 05:09 PM
I did get to see him the day before thanksgiving. He was worse than I ever imagined. He does not even look like the same dog. He is an 50 pound dog that know doubt weighs well over 100 pounds. his legs are bowed and he can't get up without help from a sitting position. I cryed when I saw him. That is no life. He was so full of life. You can see it in his eyes that he still wants to have life an fun. He is in pain.
I Wish I could take him back and fix him, but I know he is not my dog anymore. All though they have been ignorent about what to do for him. I told her that if I could I would take him back in a heart beat, but that I cant, I cant risk my husbands life. But I am going to do every thing I can to help them help him to loose the weight and to get his diet stightened out. Thanks for all the input!!

Janie123
November 23rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
Maybe you could offer to walk him or something every day. Would they be insulted if you offered to feed him everyday? Just trying to be part of his life might help. Have you told them you are worried about his weight? Would they give him back to you if your husband wasn't allergic? If so,maybe you could find a better home for him. :pray:

jiorji
November 23rd, 2007, 07:38 PM
eeep!! is their other dog that obese?!?! do they not take him to the vet? someone should've put him on a diet a long time ago then:frustrated:

mummummum
November 23rd, 2007, 08:48 PM
Do they welcome your advice and help? If so, by all means get involved in his life by helping with exercise and offering advice (gently, constructively and absolutely without criticism).

If they are not welcoming, sadly you will have to resign yourself to having made a mistake in judgement.

WeAreOne
November 23rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
No, there other dog is a perfect weight. very spunky. They do seem to take care of him they say they are taking him to the vet. She said the vet told her he has a thiroid propblem and she has had him on meds for that for quite some time. She also told me he is on a small dose of pregnazone. She told me that that is why he has gained so much weight. I spoke to a pharmacist and he said that it does not make him fat, it makes him hungry. It is there job to not feed him the fattening foods when ever he begs. I was told he could have a 1/2 cup of food 2X a day,and all the carrots a grean beans he could eat. I shared that bit of news with them and they seemed very excited that he liked the veggies so much. They are also going to find an new med other that pregnazone for his arthritis.This is a new begining for him. I am going to be a part of his life and I plan to monitor his weight lose and take him for walks. I am going to try and not look back and just look forward from this moment on. I Pray and ask for all your Prayers in his weight lose success. Thank you and God Bless.

jiorji
November 23rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
good luck!! hope the extra exercise will help, but it won't if they feed him everytime he asks :frustrated:

keep us posted