Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What are risks of adopting a former stud dog?

coilerman
November 20th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Hello, my first post on this forum. I grew up around pointer breeds as a child and I'm thinking of adopting a Munsterlander as a family pet. He is a former stud dog, about 3 years old.

I'm wondering, if a male dog has a been bred, are there certain behaviours that I should be wary of? I'm thinking of marking territory (in the house) and, sorry for the lack of a better word, humping.

While I am experienced with dogs, I wouldn't call myself a knowledgeable dog trainer. As well, my kids (14 and 12) have never lived with a dog. That being the case, should we avoid a former stud?

Thanks.

Frenchy
November 20th, 2007, 11:20 AM
We fostered dogs from puppy mill , altough I only had females , I know of another rescue that took in the males and they didn't have any problems. Of course, you get him neutered , the sooner the better. :thumbs up

CearaQC
November 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM
What did the breeder say? Will he/she part with the dog while it's still intact or will it be fixed before you're able to take it home?

Never heard of a Munsterlander, gotta look that one up and see what it looks like! hehe

I learn something new every day on here!