Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spay Adventures

Smiley14
November 20th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Miss Belle is already six months old! So she got spayed last Friday! I was so nervous, but she did a good job. This is Belle coming home from her spay. She was shaking so hard, I buried her in blankets and she slept for several hours straight. Poor baby!

Smiley14
November 20th, 2007, 12:44 AM
But then last night, I noticed a suddenly swelling of fluid under her incision, so called the E-vet, who told me to bring her in. I thought it might be a seroma and turns out, I was right. Poor Belle has developed a massive seroma in her belly. :( I took this picture of it last night when it was still pretty small and the E-vet ended up sending us home without doing much of anything. They just felt it, said it didn't feel like a perforation, but pure fluid and told me to go to my regular vet in the morning.
So today we went off to her regular vet again and by then, it was the size of a small baseball! They don't want to drain it unless absolutely necessary though, so for now, they put on a pressure bandage overnight and then I have to apply warm compresses 3 times a day. We'll wait a few more days and see if it goes back down. Poor baby looks so miserable! :( Anyone else have any experience with a seroma??

jiorji
November 20th, 2007, 01:32 AM
awwww poor baby :sad:

get better soon:cloud9:

krdahmer
November 20th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Poor puppy... hope she gets better soon. :pray:

Frenchy
November 20th, 2007, 11:13 AM
My poor baby Belle !!! :sad: Of all the fosters that got spayed , I never had any with seroma. Big hugs to Belle (and you !) speedy recovery. :fingerscr

bendyfoot
November 20th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Ohhhh, seroma.

Sigh, yes, we dealt with this after Jaida's amputation for several weeks. Hers was an unusually drawn-out and sucky case, though.

The pressure bandage is important. It will disperse the fluids and allow the healing tissues to connect and therefore heal. If you start seeing fluids bubbling up on either side of the bandage, I'd go back to the vet and request that they drain it (it's done with a syringe). When do you bring her back for a recheck? My only other concern is that if too much fluid is in there for too long, its basically a nice, warm wet place that bacteria can grow = infection. Not good. So if the fluids haven't been resorbed in a few days, either way I'd ask for some drainage to be safe. It'll help her feel better too...seroma seems to make them kinda weird-feeling and uncomfortable.

I can .... TOTALLY... empathise. She'll be fine (cutie, too!):grouphug:

Smiley14
November 20th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Ohhhh, seroma.

Sigh, yes, we dealt with this after Jaida's amputation for several weeks. Hers was an unusually drawn-out and sucky case, though.

The pressure bandage is important. It will disperse the fluids and allow the healing tissues to connect and therefore heal. If you start seeing fluids bubbling up on either side of the bandage, I'd go back to the vet and request that they drain it (it's done with a syringe). When do you bring her back for a recheck? My only other concern is that if too much fluid is in there for too long, its basically a nice, warm wet place that bacteria can grow = infection. Not good. So if the fluids haven't been resorbed in a few days, either way I'd ask for some drainage to be safe. It'll help her feel better too...seroma seems to make them kinda weird-feeling and uncomfortable.

I can .... TOTALLY... empathise. She'll be fine (cutie, too!):grouphug:

I actually thought of Jaida and her seroma too! Hopefully Belle's won't be as complicated. I looked at it today and it's definitely still there, but looks a tiny bit smaller at least. I have to go back to the vet tomorrow afternoon for another check because they are watching for exactly what you said, infection since one can easily develop in that environment and with there being stitches there, would NOT be good! So far the incision is nice and dry and no leakage anywhere, so I think it's still okay. We're going in on Wed since Thurs is Thanksgiving and they're closed. They talked about putting her on antibiotics just in case, but are holding off for now. I wonder if I should ask for some just to be on the safe side?

They told me to only keep the pressure bandage on for 24 hours for some reason and then remove it and do the warm compresses. Not sure why though! So I did take it off today, but haven't figured out how exactly to do warm compresses yet. Any suggestions on how to do that? I'm not sure what to use and how to apply it, especially with a hyper puppy! She's so far acting completely normal and wants to run, run, run! I haven't been letting her of course. Poor puppy! I really hope it does reabsorb and resolve itself on its own.

chico2
November 20th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Aww poor little baby Belle,I have no experience at all with this,just hope it will all clear up:pray:

growler~GateKeeper
November 21st, 2007, 01:41 AM
awww poor Belle :2huggers: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

For the warm compress - I've always just used a small towel ie face or hand towel soaked in warm (not hot) water folded to a little bigger than the size of the affected area & hold it gently but firmly (to compress slightly) to the body part until the towel goes cool then rewarm it with water & repeat :)

hazelrunpack
November 21st, 2007, 08:39 AM
Aw, little Belle. :grouphug: Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time--but you'll be better soon. You have a very devoted mommy!

ancientgirl
November 21st, 2007, 08:58 AM
Poor sweet girl. I hope she gets better soon and has no more complications.:pray:

bendyfoot
November 21st, 2007, 09:46 AM
Sounds like things are getting better already, yay for you!!!:thumbs up
If it starts getting under control quickly, antibiotics probably wouldn't be necessary...we had those fluids for several weeks, on top of another 2 weeks of surgery-that-didn't-go-quite-right, so she already had a compromised immune system... I'd do exactly what was suggested with the hot compress. To get her comfie while you're doing it since it's on her tummy, I'd get up on the bed with her and "sausage" her between my legs so she's supported and can't wiggle away too easily...
Maybe they don't want the bandage on too long because of it being on her tummy? Jaida's was over her ribcage so there wasn't a "squish" factor involved....:shrug:

bendyfoot
November 23rd, 2007, 03:31 PM
How's the little belly, Smiley?

hazelrunpack
November 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
I was wondering that same thing. How is the little munchkin, Smiley? Better, I hope! And back to pestering Petey? :fingerscr

Smiley14
November 23rd, 2007, 11:54 PM
Unfortunately the seroma is getting worse. It's getting bigger and starting to harden a bit. We go back to the vet again on Monday. We were there today, they don't think it's infected yet, so want to wait a few more days to see if it will still yet go away on its own. I have to keep her very still (yeah right!) and apply lots of hot compresses. She's acting totally fine, her stomach is just ballooned up! :sad:

growler~GateKeeper
November 24th, 2007, 12:01 AM
awww :sad: poor baby Belle :sad:

lots of :goodvibes: :fingerscr & :grouphug: for Belle & everyone in the Smiley14 house :goodvibes:

CearaQC
November 24th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Poor thing... I hope it clears up soon. :pray:

Winston
November 24th, 2007, 07:46 AM
OMG poor Belle! she is so beautiful! I dont know much about this though?? Is thhis a result of her being spayed?

Cindy

chico2
November 24th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Smiley,forgive my ignorance,but why would the vet wait until it"might" get infected?
Would it not be better to take care of her now,especially since it's gotten worse?
Poor little beautiful Belle and you:sad::grouphug:

Frenchy
November 24th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Poor little Belle , I'm so sorry for her (and you) keeping her for playing too much must be hard :sad: speedy recovery Belle :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Chico2 , I think the vet might want to try this instead of giving Belle antibiotics ? :shrug:

onster
November 24th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Sending get well wishes for Belle! :goodvibes:::fingerscr

chico2
November 24th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Frenchy,I have to look up Seroma,I have no idea what it is,thought maybe it was something with fluid and if it got worse the vet could drain it,to give Belle some relief,she's such a cute little thingy.
Like I said,forgive my ignorance:laughing:

Frenchy
November 24th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Like I said,forgive my ignorance:laughing:

:laughing: I was only guessing myself. :D

otter
November 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Oh Belle, lots of :grouphug:'s and :goodvibes:'s to have you getting better real quick. Lets hope things are getting better so you can get back to playing with all your friends and keeping your mommy happy :fingerscr:pray::goodvibes:

Smiley14
November 24th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks guys!!!! :grouphug: I'm anxious to talk to my vet some more on Monday and get more answers. I don't understand really either why she is against draining it. I remember her saying something about wanting to avoid draining it if at all possible to help avoid infection, but I don't really understand it either. I'm afraid that since it's starting to harden, it's going to become harder to remove. I'm wondering if I should take her to another vet for a second opinion. I trust my vet, but this worries me. But the only vet open tomorrow is the same E-Vet I saw last weekend, who basically told me to wait and see my regular vet or the Banfield clinic in Petsmart and from what I've heard about them, I'm not overly impressed. AH, I don't know what to do! I need to ask more questions on Monday so I understand it and the options better.

I do know she said that the reason an infection can develop is because with the fluid build-up just sitting there over recently sutured area, it's warm, wet area and becomes a prime candidate for bacteria to grow. That is why there is a risk of infection with seromas and I think why the infection can be greater if drained, because then you're adding an opening to the mix, which can even more easily get infected. (I think at least, I'm so confused!) :confused:

Smiley14
November 26th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Good news!!!! I woke up this morning to find Belle's seroma had drastically reduced overnight!!! It's still there, but is more of a golf ball size instead of a baseball size now. YAY! So I think the end is finally in sight and it's being reabsorbed into her system like my vet was hoping would happen. We're still going back to the vet on Monday afternoon for a check, but I'm so happy it's finally going down! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
November 26th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Alright!!! :thumbs up Hope it disappears completely as quickly as possible & good news from the vet visit :goodvibes:

chico2
November 26th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Smiley.that's great news,phew!and great relief:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
November 26th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Yay! :highfive: I'm so happy for you and Belle, Smiley! :thumbs up Let us know how her vet appt goes!

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 12:01 PM
ahem , we would need a picture to make sure you're right :rolleyes:

:thumbs up for Belle !

Smiley14
November 26th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I'm at work, so no pictures at the moment, sorry Frenchy! :laughing: But I do have some cute ones to post late tonight. ;)

The vet was very pleased with the latest progress on Belle's seroma! I have to keep watching it as there is still a little bit of fluid still there, the part that had begun to harden, so now she has a bit of a belly pucker or bulge at the moment that will hopefully go away eventually. But everything is looking good. No infection or complications. YAY! :thumbs up And she can resume low activity and short walks now finally! After being confined for over three weeks, she will hardly be able to contain herself! :laughing:

Frenchy
November 26th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I'm at work, so no pictures at the moment, sorry Frenchy! :laughing:

Excuses excuses :laughing: I'll be back later :evil:

hazelrunpack
November 26th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I hope I can stay awake long enough to see them! :eek: :pray:

(Glad to hear she continues to improve! :thumbs up)

rainbow
November 29th, 2007, 02:09 AM
I know I'm a little late here.....that's what I get for going awol for a bit. :o Glad sweet little Belle is okay. :thumbs up Give her a hug from me. :grouphug:

Smiley14
November 29th, 2007, 09:04 PM
I know I'm a little late here.....that's what I get for going awol for a bit. :o Glad sweet little Belle is okay. :thumbs up Give her a hug from me. :grouphug:

Thanks Rainbow!!!! :grouphug: It's good to hear from you!!