Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Making Paw Prints?

dogmelissa
November 19th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I had this brain wave to use canola oil mixed with some food colouring to make a "stamp" paw print of each of my pets. I don't want to use ink because then I'll have to wash it off (even if it says non-toxic), and with 4 cats, that's a heck of a fight that I don't want to try. I thought the canola oil (or other cooking oil) would be ok cause it won't hurt them when they lick it off their foot.

This doesn't need to be a permanent "stamp", I just want to scan them into my computer after (I could then print them).

Would this work? Or would it work with *just* food colouring? Would I need to mix a little flour into the oil to make it thick enough so that it wouldn't drip?

Any other suggestions for "homemade", non-toxic (AT ALL) "ink"? Or should I just go buy one of those inky pads they make for babies that their body doesn't actually touch the ink--they're like one of those pin art things?

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

otter
November 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM
You could just use mud :laughing::laughing:, works really well on my clean floors :pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint: Both dog and cat approved :thumbs up

marko
November 20th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I think that's an amazingly sweet idea!:cloud9::lovestruck:

I might try non toxic guache or poster paint for kids...

Try while they are sleeping in an area of the housevthat won't get damaged (Stained)...and then maybe a shallow bucket to wash the paint off real fast....before they really know what is happening.

any better ideas on how to do this?

Melinda
November 20th, 2007, 07:13 AM
I use crayola markers when I do Brina's paw prints on cards etc, very VERY washable, non toxic, I've done the pad in one color and each "toe" pad in another.

ancientgirl
November 20th, 2007, 09:20 AM
That's a great idea. I've been wondering what to use to get their little paws on my Christmas cards this year.

dogmelissa
November 20th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Mmmm, yes, mud is a good one. :P Does tend to be a little messier than I'd envisioned, though.

My plan was to bring each pet into the bathroom, "stamp" their foot, attempt to wipe/wash off any excess and then release them. 2 of my cats & the dog are fairly comfortable getting full baths, a third will barely tolerate it and I've never tried with the 4th, though her tendons were cut on her front paws, so she can't really hurt me if she hates it (much) (Please note I was not responsible for her tendons being cut). The bathroom seems like a safe place because we have a hard flooring so if it gets messy, it's much easier to clean than carpet. However, as all my creatures are long-haired with the exception of one, there's no guarantee the carpet won't get messy!

I think of all the suggestions the markers seem like the easiest choice. How long do I have between colouring and "felt is too dry to stamp"? Realistically, I'm not even sure if they'll tolerate the sensation of having their feet coloured on--the thought of that being done to me makes all my tickle-nerves twitch!

If that doesn't work, I will try the kid-friendly paint, then at least I can dip their feet in it and avoid the tickling as much as possible.

Thanks for all the help guys, and if anyone is interested, I'll post the results (once I get around to doing it--things are so busy right now!).

And in case anyone was wondering, these stamps will be used (eventually) in the design of a custom tattoo.

Thanks again,
Melissa

dogmelissa
March 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Ok, so I finally got around to doing this....

First task, trim the fur off the furry one's feet. That was not fun for a few of them, particularly the polydactyl cat.

Second task, try the paint (since I don't have any marker in the house). Succeeded in getting a "reverse" print, where there's a big blob of paint and the only part there isn't paint is where the pads were. Overall, not successful. (Tried this with the dog as he's much more willing to cooperate)

Third task, try to get them to stand on the scanner so I can scan their feet in and then turn it into a stamp. Not the best idea, as all the kitties were afraid of the scanner noise and it just wasn't that successful. Plus once I had it in the computer, the "turning into a stamp" part was way more complicated and fairly unsuccessful overall.

Fourth task, tried taking photographs of their freshly-trimmed feet. That was easy enough, but same problem once they're in the computer; how to turn them into a stamp??

5th task.... send husband to the dollar store for some cheapo felts. Not sure if this will work. If it doesn't, I'm really at a loss on what to do.

Any suggestions/opinions on any of these?

Melissa