Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to stop Coprophagia

katty5256
November 19th, 2007, 08:56 PM
When I added my second rescue to the house she taught my 1st dog to eat their own feces. I have tried multiple products and still have not been able to kick the habit. I am aware that it is a behaviour issue and although I would like to be standing beside them and picking it up everytime they go it is not possible. I have other people living in my house that will let the dogs out while I am not at home as I work various schedules so this allows for inconsistencies in the physical training aspect of it. I was hoping that someone would have had a success in the past with a certain product or natural remedy that I can try. Any thoughts?

katty5256
November 19th, 2007, 09:01 PM
One more thing that I forgot to add is that on of my girls has gatroenteritis and some food allergies so adding anything like pineapple which is acidic would cause a bad reaction for her so I have to be careful what goes into her body. Thanks

Kristin7
November 21st, 2007, 11:35 AM
What kind of food are you feeding your dog? Mine was doing this but stopped when I switched to a better brand.

hazelrunpack
November 21st, 2007, 01:06 PM
We switched ours to a better brand it got worse. :shrug: Sigh. Go figure.

If anyone comes up with anything, I have 3 poop-eaters here that can be test cases. :frustrated:

We keep the yard as clean as we can, but at 4 in the morning, with 8 to run after, it's pretty hard to keep up with the Pack and prevent sh-nacking... :eeew:

:o

clm
November 21st, 2007, 01:09 PM
I've only had one dog that did this. Our first dog never did and our new dogs don't, but Yogi, it was a constant battle with him. All we could do was keep the yard as clean as we could and keep after him if we saw him doing it, but he was never broken of the habit.

Cindy

katty5256
November 21st, 2007, 07:37 PM
They are on Medical Hypoallergenic right now but they have been on many kinds when we were trying to find one that worked for the allergies and it didn't change anything. There's got to be something we can do? My vet is not very helpful, they ran out of options for me so I was hoping someone here would have a success story to share.