Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poor little Bentley has a cone on his head

clm
November 19th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Hubby got home from work this afternoon and the boys greeted him at the door, only Bentley had one eye glued shut and the other very red. He was pawing at his eyes. Took him to the vet and his right eye the vet could see an ulcer on it, nothing on the left. Not sure if there's still something in there or not, or what happened to his right eye, so he put a cone on his head to keep him from pawing at his eyes, gave him a sedative and we have some eye drops to give him every 4 - 6 hours. Had to go out and get him some benedryl too, although I'm not wild about giving him that until he starts eating and drinking again.
He's still groggy from the sedative, but he's a tough little nut and it's hard to get him to lie down and sleep. Hubby said when he got him home he ran up to the pond with Baxter and jumped on the ledge, started to get wobbly and sleepy from the sedative....hubby raced up and got him before he fell in.
Hubby just took Baxter out for a walk and Bentley has been sitting up at the door, teetering, he's still so sleepy, he finally just lay down now. I've given him the eye drops once since I got home and his eyes don't look red at all now. Not much tearing either. I wish I knew what happened while we were at work.

Cindy

mummummum
November 19th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Awww....poor little dickens. I imaginbe he'll be groggy and disoriented for awhile. I hope ALL of you can get some rest tonight.:goodvibes:

JanM
November 19th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Poor little guy - hope he gets better real soon!

CearaQC
November 19th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Awww poor Bentley! :sleepy:

I wonder what could have happened?

Frenchy
November 19th, 2007, 10:04 PM
He must had got it while playing with his bro ! Happened to Sam back in the spring. So not even the cone is slowing him down ? :eek:

clm
November 19th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Hubby got home from walking Baxter and Baxter needed a butt bath, it appears he's a little under the weather too. Bentley was sneezing for the last couple of days, I have a feeling this isn't something in his eye at all, but a virus of some sort. Bentley is now frantically trying to get the cone off as he's a little frantic that Baxter has been taken upstairs to the forbidden zone.
Going to be a fun few days to come I think.

Cindy

Frenchy
November 19th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Baxter needed a butt bath

:laughing: :laughing:

clm
November 19th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Butt baths are a fact of life with this breed. I'm sure that's why they're not that popular. :laughing:

Cindy

Frenchy
November 19th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Butt baths are a fact of life with this breed. I'm sure that's why they're not that popular. :laughing:

Cindy

That is why I keep trimming Sam's behind but I think it's nothing to compare with Baxter and Bentley :laughing:

hazelrunpack
November 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Poor Bentley... :sad:

Poor Baxter... :sad:

Poor mom! :eek: :dog: :eek: :dog: :eek: :grouphug:

I hope Bentley is feeling better soon so he and Baxter can be together again! :fingerscr

ancientgirl
November 20th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Poor guys. I'm sure Bently's eye will get better soon.

Hey, I do butt baths sometimes too. With kitties that don't really know how to go poop without leaving a mess its a must.

phoozles
November 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM
If Bentley were a cat, I would say he has FHV - sounds a lot like the symptoms my kitten had - which includes eye ulcers, but of course he's not, and I took a look and it doesn't look like dogs can catch cat flu.

:goodvibes: Hoping Bentley gets through the cone period okay :)

Lukka'sma
November 20th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Hope Bentley is getting better by the second. :goodvibes:

krdahmer
November 20th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Aw... thats too bad, hope your house is back to normal soon! :fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
November 21st, 2007, 02:20 AM
:2huggers: for Bentley - get better soon little guy :goodvibes:
:2huggers: for Baxter - hope it was just a one-off on the walk :goodvibes:

( butt bath http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/lachen/laughing-smiley-015.gif )

clm
November 21st, 2007, 07:14 AM
The little guy is going back to the vet this afternoon. I had to take the cone off him, he was just too frantic with it on, and Baxter was always trying to help him get it off. He wouldn't even try to eat or drink with it on either. Fine if we're home all day to supervise, but we're not. He leaves his eye alone except for when he first wakes up in the morning, it's dry I guess and itchy, and it crusts a little, so he rubs it trying to get some relief. I make sure I give it a warm water bath to get rid of the crusties as soon as he wakes up and give him a childrens allergy benedryl to help with the itching. Give him the eye drops right before I leave for work and that seems to be working until we get home.
Cindy

Frenchy
November 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM
The little guy is going back to the vet this afternoon.

Is it because you were suppose to go back today or because the drops are not working ?

Baxter helping him to take off the cone :p what a duo ! :dog: :dog:

clm
November 21st, 2007, 01:04 PM
The vet wanted to see him again today to be sure his eye is responding to the treatment.

Yes, they're a bad pair together. I caught them both working feverishly to get that cone off. I wonder if they'll put both of them in cones when I get them fixed. I hope not, that won't be fun.

Cindy

Frenchy
November 21st, 2007, 01:05 PM
I wonder if they'll put both of them in cones when I get them fixed. I hope not, that won't be fun.

Cindy

:eek: :eek:

H.P.
November 21st, 2007, 09:58 PM
I hope Bentley is feeling better tonight!

clm
November 21st, 2007, 10:40 PM
The vet was very happy with how his eye looked today. :D Have to keep up with the eye drops and the benedryl for another week.

Cindy

Frenchy
November 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM
The vet was very happy with how his eye looked today. :D Have to keep up with the eye drops and the benedryl for another week.

Cindy

I'm glad Bentley is recovering :thumbs up Does he still need to wear the cone ?

hazelrunpack
November 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM
That's great news! :highfive:

So the little munchkins like to help each other out in a pinch, eh? :dog: :dog: That's what best friends are for! :D

clm
November 21st, 2007, 10:52 PM
No more cone. As long as he leaves his eye alone I'll leave it off. He's much happier not wearing it and I don't have to worry about him and Baxter trying to take it off themselves. :laughing:

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
November 21st, 2007, 11:24 PM
That musta been really cute Baxter helping out http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/lachen/laughing-smiley-015.gif :dog:

When Mischief :rip::cat: had a post lump surgery cone on Cally :rip::dog: would stand over her, following her around like it was a new toy she had on her head :rolleyes:, then when he had one also post lump surgery on he laid around moping :sad: