Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

House training problem

PenniLess
November 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Hi.

I have a mixed yellow lab/collie/who knows what. I got him from the SPCA 4 weeks ago. He came to me with kennel cough and serious diarreha. I was also warned that he might have been exposed to parvovirus. After three weeks of illness, he is now healthy. Because of the sickness, we got off to a bad start with training. He will happily go outside to void but is quite happy doing it inside as well. I have an ex-pen set up downstairs using only four panels and a vari-kennel upstairs. He has pooped in both and started eating both times. He has peed in the ex-pen as well. These things happened when he was still sick.

The issue at hand now is that he will void, both urine and feces, in the living room where he spends most of his time. He has a specific spot that he uses most of the time. I use a pet stain and odour neutralizer each and every time. I don't scold him either. This evening, it finally surfaced as a major problem for me as I had taken him outside to "the spot" and he only wanted to play. Within 5 minutes of coming back inside, he had both peed and pooped. He immediately started eating the feces. He doesn't seem to be doing this from fear as he is not upset when I catch him. I don't scold him for it except for a firm no.

What am I doing wrong? Suggestions?

Frenchy
November 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM
and he only wanted to play.

I'm no expert but , you have to stay outside with him until he does his business , don't get back inside until he does it. While he's doing it , praise him , a lot !

For the poop eating : is he eating real fast ? Because when they do , some kibbles will be left intacted in their poop and they will eat it because of that. I put Kongs in my dogs food bowls to slow them down.

Don't give up , with time and patience , he will understand.

t.pettet
November 19th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Think you should isolate him in the kitchen or somewhere without carpet as its easier to clean up, take him for a walk to the same spot immediately upon waking up, after eating and before bed. He needs to be in a routine and rewarded (maybe a small treat) when he's done his business outside. No living room visits or wandering the house on his own until he's completely re-trained. Perhaps he forgot his training when he was so ill. Good luck.