Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost shar-pei

scott_brazeau
November 19th, 2007, 12:08 PM
We lost our 10 month old, chocolate brown shar-pei on November 15. We saw her on November 18 at dawn, but she is so timis she took off again. She is in the farmers fields/forest north of Donald Couesens drive in Markham ONt, between ninth line and 16 ave.

If you see him, or are able to catch him, please call 416-659-0206

Thank you for your help...we miss him so much.

Chris21711
November 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Can you post a photo of your pet. Animal Control for that area is Pickering Animal Control, have you tried contacting them?

badger
November 19th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Oh no poor pup. If she ran away from you and won't go to strangers (which has its upside), it sounds to me as if you should set a live trap somewhere nearby as soon as possible. I think animal control in your area would have one, they might even give you a hand.
Do you know if anyone is feeding her?
Don't give up! Don't forget to put her information all over the internet, any and all media, and plaster the area where you think she is with posters.
:pray: for a happy ending.

scott_brazeau
November 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM
My wife saw our puppy at 3:30 PM on Nov 19 in Rough Park, which is a conservation area north of Donald Cousens Parkway, East of ninth line.

He still has a lot of energy and was able to out run her. He has been staying in this area for three days, but we can't catch him. I spoke with EVERY aniumal control center and no one will go out and help catch him. I even tried to get a trapper to go out, but no one will go.

If ANYONE is willing to head out to the park and attempt to catch him, you would be our hero. We miss him so much but have no idea what to do.

breeze
November 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM
have you tried to intice him with food?? a treat that he just goes crazy over??
He must be hungry if he has been gone for sooo long....

scott_brazeau
November 19th, 2007, 05:19 PM
We have brought bowls of food out and even wet food. We tried peanut butter, etc. Nothing seems to get him to come to us. I think it will come down to him getting so tired that he can't run - or if we have more people out there to help catch him.

I am so lost as to what to do...I feel so guilty but I am lost as to what to do next.

Dahlene
November 19th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Do you think he would follow another dog? I don't know the area, but what about leaving your car close by with the door open, while you stay out of sight? Whatever you do, don't give up. Just a matter of time.
Barb

mummummum
November 19th, 2007, 08:06 PM
:grouphug:I hope you are able to get him home safely soon. A trick I used to use to get the horses to come in was to put small pebbles in a metal bowl or can and shake them gently ~ it sounds like feed /kibble.

Melinda
November 20th, 2007, 06:18 AM
when you see him, call his name, get his attention and run the opposite way, entice him to play, keep him running and at some point you will both connect or interact and possibly close enough to show him treats and eventually to get your hands on him.

badger
November 20th, 2007, 08:05 AM
I have a crazy suggestion - is it possible for you to stay out there, pitch a tent, in an effort to at least keep him in the area? I know, crazy :crazy:. I can't believe animal control brushed you off, will they at least lend you a trap?

scott_brazeau
November 20th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Thank-you all for your suggestions. My wife and I were out most of the night but could not find him. We sent out updated posters informing eveyrone that he was seen on Nov 19.

I will try to run the other way, if I actually see him again. Does anyone know how long a dog can survive in the wild? It is getting cold at night.

Love4himies
November 20th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I would suggest not to run after him, it is only scaring him, but to stay in a spot, talking calmly and try to entice him with a meaty bone?

I thought it was dog control's job to try to catch stray dogs????

Chris21711
November 20th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Sable has been on the loose since August 2006 and is Shirley is still having sightings of him. From the last sightings a few days ago, he is still looking reasonably good. L4H, animal control will not chase down dogs at large in this area, they will only pick up a stray dog if you have it secured. The only time they might is if the dog is terrorizing the neighbourhood.

CearaQC
November 20th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I vote for the stake-out idea.

Read a story not long ago on another message board, and the lady said she found a stray that always ran away all the time and never let anyone approach it.

So one day she just sat out there, didn't approach the dog and waited for the dog to approach her. It worked and she was able to put a lead on it and take it home. This process took about 4 hours though, so patience is key.

Animals are really good at reading how people are feeling. If you are frantic and panic-y while trying to get the dog back, yeah it will take off.

The theory goes that if you post yourself in a non-threating manner, the dog may get close to you quicker.

Yeah it's getting awful cold at night. Maybe borrow some hunters' gear. Those that do duck/geese hunting usually have some really great outdoor outerwear that keeps them warm.

Hope you get your dog back home quick!

scott_brazeau
November 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
A couple was walking and found our puppy - and even better - the vet cleared him and he is at home with us! He is very timid but has eaten tons and drank a lot of water. He is our miracle dog - thank you all for your help and advise....

cheers!

badger
November 23rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
GREAT NEWS! You must be so happy to have him back.

shirley1011
November 24th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Wow Scott! So happy for you. It is so good to hear happy endings :thumbs up

BusterBoo
November 24th, 2007, 04:34 PM
:pray: thank God you got him back...

the gang
November 24th, 2007, 08:35 PM
HORRAY!!!!! im so happy for you and pup:thumbs up

SIL
November 24th, 2007, 09:12 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm glad everything worked out ok.:thumbs up