Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just saying Hi, from me and Heinlein

kylben
November 18th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Hello everyone. I've been a dog owner for about two months now, and I'm loving it. This forum has been a big help, and I'm still digesting all the great information here. Thanks everyone for all you've done here.

Back in September, one of our best friends decided he needed to give up his boy Heinlein in order to welcome his new boy (the human kind :)) to his family, and asked us if we could adopt him (the dog, that is). I was a little apprehensive, having never owned a dog before, though I've always loved them and gotten along well with most. It's been a great success so far.

We're told he's a lab/shar-pei mix, though I wonder if that's all he's got in him. He's three years old, and built like a tank at 80+ pounds - the doc says he should be about 5-10 lbs lighter, we're working on that. He's got a nice big backyard to run in, and we keep an open door policy, so he can come and go as he pleases (that year-round Arizona sun, ya know!). Which means that the walks are just for fun and exercise.:thumbs up

He's usually the best behaved dog you could ask for. Almost too much, actually, as he's very... um, stoic, and sometimes seems more like a cat than a dog personality wise. Until the lab in him comes out, that is. Then he's like a little tornado tearing through the house for about five minutes or so, then the little shar-pei angel on his other shoulder takes over again, :evil: and he's back sitting at my girlfriend's feet while she works in her office, or he's out patrolling the perimeter.

I've found on the net that shar-pei's were bred to guard Chinese royalty in Confucian times, and he sure seems to fit the part. We tell people that he's our own personal Secret Service agent. If he barks at something outside the fence, and I come out, he looks at me, then goes back inside the house, as if to say "OK, you got this now? I stand relieved." I'm thinking of training him to salute. If one of us is walking from one room to another, he goes on ahead and "secures" the room for us. He won't go to his bed at night until we're both safely under the covers.

Anyway, enough about our boy, I could go on forever. He's the first dog I've ever owned, and at 42 years old (me, not him), I wonder why I waited so long. I really appreciate this forum, so thanks again everyone, and thanks in advance for the future information.

--Kyle

CearaQC
November 18th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Look at that face! And the curly tail! Awwwww....

Seems like quite a character.

kylben
November 18th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Yeah, I usually can't resist hooking it with my fingers when he walks by on his rounds (he's actually worn a path to the far corner of the yard in only two months - not that the grass here in the desert is that thick to begin with).

That's his shar-pei face in the picture. His lab face has this huge grin and wide eyes, with that tail swishing back and forth, still curled just as tight.

--Kyle

Frenchy
November 18th, 2007, 08:11 PM
omg look at those eyes !!! :lovestruck: Welcome to pets.ca Kyle and thank you so much for the pictures (hoping these are not the only ones we're going to get ;))

So Arizona hey ? No snow for you then :D lucky lucky lucky !

hazelrunpack
November 18th, 2007, 08:38 PM
He's gorgeous, Kyle! I gotta swoon over those eyes like everyone else! :cloud9:

Welcome to the board and thank you for that awesome bio! We didn't even have to nudge you to post intro pics....but we're likely going to get very demanding about seeing more! (Yeah, I know...we're a very demanding bunch that way! :o)

kylben
November 18th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Frenchy and Hazel, thanks. When he gets off post tonight, I'll let him know he's a hit with the ladies:flirt: I made an avatar out of those eyes, since you liked them so much. I'll try to get a picture of his lab face, but he's never standing still when he's got it on, so I can't promise anything.

And Frenchy, the no snow is a mixed blessing. We don't brag about it as much in the summertime when it's 110 in the shade :eek:. I'm from Chicago, and I miss it a bit (though only a bit), and I bet Heiny would love it.

-Kyle