Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Collar or harness

thnord
November 18th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Were getting a new dog. been without a few years.
These last few years I have seen more and more people use something that looks more like harnesses than collars.

My previous dogs have always had collars - I mean dogs are suposed to have a collar - its one of the reasons they have a neck. And harnesses look sort of la-di-da like. And I'm thinking - My dog - Never!!

But then - I also used to think: Training cats - Waste of time. And horse whisperers and barefoot horses - nonsence!! Well wrong wrong wrong there.

So, maybe some people know something I don't (about harnesses). I'm reasearching this elsewhere as well, but would appreciate this comunity's views too.

Tom

CearaQC
November 18th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Get a nice harness and go skijoring! lol Europe has so many nice shopping areas... it would be cute to let a larger dog assist in the shopping and haul a cart! :laughing: The dog would feel so proud being able to do help out.

I don't really like the harness for non-working dogs and somehow feel that if a dog is wearing that, it might put it into pulling mode. :shrug:

Cats - maybe. If they like to go outside and you want them to tag along, well a harness might be the best thing. If something scares a cat it will go bonkers and just a regular cat collar might do harm.

allymack
November 18th, 2007, 02:51 PM
i wouldnt reccomend a harness for your dogs, unless you are getting a breed with a delicate neck( well more so then usual dogs) if you think about it, what were harnesses made for? pulling sleds, wagons/carts, if your dog had a harness, it would make it easier, and more comfortable to pull on the leash, not to say that your dog will definately pull if you get it a harness. i would suggest just using a collar or a head halter. thats just my opinion... i'm sure other pople will have other thoughts to add. hope this helps :)

pitgrrl
November 18th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I've used harnesses for years with my dogs, and in a lot of situations, far prefer them. Currently one dog wears a Ruff Wear harness and the other a Canine Friendly Vest Harness. These are used for our daily walks.

It is true, however, that a harness gives you less physical control over the dog (unless it's a no pull harness), so it's necessary that my dogs know and consistently respond to verbal and hand signal commands. When I'm taking them somewhere very crowded or chaotic, I attach the leash to their buckle collars, which they always wear for id.

My personal opinion is that training a dog to walk on a loose lead, wearing a flat collar, and teaching commands typically used on a walk to the point that they are reliable comes first, then get a harness and allow your dog some added comfort without problems.

It's also worth mentionning, especially if you do any hiking with your dog, that the ability to lift your dog over stuff, or provide them with added stability on really uneven ground, is extremely practical.

thnord
November 18th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I think some people feel that the collar may be inhumane.
Anyway dog will be a Lagotto Romagnolo and she will prolly wear a collar, but I will make a point to check the issue of a delicate neck.

But head halter? I don't like head halters even on horses, even though I always use one when I'm handling one. Do you let them wear it all the time or only when walking and on the leash?

Tom

Luba
November 18th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Did some initial training on martingale collar then switched.
I use a harness now for 4 yrs and no problems with it. Dogs more comfortable, prevents a lot of pulling and less strain on the neck.
I opted for this as opposed to a gentle leader / halti. I've used those as well but find they can cause pinched nerves in the neck. Seen dogs have weakness and paralysis from them.

Tried the harness and it did really help a lot, less pulling. Some dogs just like to pull and mine has a fear of thunder and firecrackers. So, she'll pull to high heaven to get home with the noise.

Def wasn't a latida decision.

allymack
November 18th, 2007, 04:30 PM
But head halter? I don't like head halters even on horses, even though I always use one when I'm handling one. Do you let them wear it all the time or only when walking and on the leash?

If you do choose to go with a head halter, do not leave it on all the time, only when you are walking him or you need more control over him/to calm him down. i use a gentle leader and it works really well, enzo doesnt pull, it is pretty much self correcting. you cant leave the halter all the time because it closes their mouth, and if it gets caught on something and you arent there to unhook it ..whos knows what will happen., also about having a more delicate neck then most dog, i wouldnt worry about that with a Lagotto Romagnolo they look like good strong dogs, so a collar would be fine. :)