Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Clavamox

Mcpugit
November 18th, 2007, 01:20 PM
My vet recently put my Female Fawn pug on Clavamox, after she became ill from a very long labor,it was the only choice as she had a possible retained placenta
and her fever spiked to 104.8. In my past experiences~ amazingly I had not lost any pups, she had a litter of 7 And I new one would not make it through the night, because it cried a lot,and I was right but since then I have lost 2 more otherwise healthy pups, what is the probability of the clavamox being the cause? I made sure they stayed hydrated because they have diareah, I asked my vet to take my momma off the meds As I though they were harming the pups
(After the 2nd pup passed) And she agreed. Although she (The Vet) was very forth coming about everything she never said I could lose pups from the meds, she also called daily to check on us, which made me suspicious cause A vet Has never done that before.I'm just gathering opinions and info, I'm not a big fan os antibiotics any ways, I aslo suplimented probiotics for mom

mummummum
November 18th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Welcome to pets.ca ~ this is a question your Vet and Breeder-Mentor can best answer.

We are very pro spay and neuter on this board.

Luba
November 18th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Clavamox is a very stong antibiotic which if nursing the pups will also be getting. The vet shouldn't assume anything when caring for a sick mother who is nursing. Find the true cause and treat the problem not 'I think' the antibiotic will help. I'd see another vet.

Seek another vet out and if you're a breeder I'm sure you have other breeders you can consult with that may have better vet options.

I'd like you to rethink your reasons for breeding.

kiara
November 18th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I'm with the others. I really don't know much about vet meds. Are probiotics maybe dangerous? Did you tell the vet that you were giving them to the mum? Anything that you give the mother will pass to the pups through her milk. We are a pro-spay and neuter forum. Maybe you will rethink your decision about breeding. Perhaps your time could be better spent by helping those that are already alive and are on deathrow ????

Mcpugit
November 18th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I thought about it for 10 years what do you think my reasons are? Pro biotics are not dangerous , the vet also suggested it thanks for the feed back