Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

taking pets on VIA rail

jiorji
November 17th, 2007, 10:34 PM
anyone have done this?? We;re going with Via Rail at the end of the month. So ...I hope all goes according to plan:fingerscr

Frenchy
November 17th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Did you get some kind of rescue remedy for them or are they going to me ok without ?

jiorji
November 17th, 2007, 11:19 PM
rescue remedy?!:confused:

Frenchy
November 17th, 2007, 11:24 PM
When I went to Vancouver , I took my cats with me and knew they were going to freak out in the plane so my vet prescribed some kind of pills for them , I don't remember the name , but they are like valiums for cats.

jiorji
November 17th, 2007, 11:31 PM
this is only 5 hours...hmm....Twiggy hates being in a cage but she calms down after a while. She only meows.

Peanut will be happy if there's food there :laughing:

SnowDancer
November 18th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Just to clarify, are you cats going to be travelling in the cargo car - assuming there is one? If not, they won't be allowed in the "people" cars. We live in Toronto and my husband visits his family in Ottawa. He has yet to have travelled on a train via the Toronto-Ottawa corridor that has a cargo car - really stupid - how do people manage with other very large items such as bicycles! Amtrak doesn't allow pets either. I noted that you live in Montreal and I do know that some of the trains heading east from Toronto do have cargo cars so perhaps this is your plan. For the life of me I do not understand why Via doesn't set aside a couple of cars for people travelling with pets - in crates etc. My husband would have taken our guy to Ottawa with him had he been allowed to. Would have to have been in the people car though - our guy would flip out in cargo hold. And it will be cold. I really hope you aren't planning on hiding the cats in a bag after being sedated - you might well be found out. They might not put you off the train going but they probably won't let you on for the return - a note would be made on your reservation - happened to someone I know.

CearaQC
November 18th, 2007, 11:47 AM
On their website, they state that while the animal is kept in a cage in another car, you have to go back there during the trip and check on your pet.

http://askvia.ca/results_en.jsp

Pets are not allowed in passenger cars.

Pets must travel in the baggage car and are considered as checked baggage. This means you cannot take your pet with you on trains where there is no checked baggage service. To find out whether this service is available for the entire length of your journey, view the table on the main baggage page.

Service charges for transporting an animal range between $15-50, but will not exceed the cost of a ticket at the adult regular fare.

Only cats, dogs and small rodents are accepted. They must be carried in a cage large enough for them to stand.

Cages for carrying pets

Cages may be purchased at main VIA stations.

VIA Rail employees may refuse to accept a cage supplied by you if the cage appears unsafe or inadequate.

Owners' responsibility

During the journey, it is your responsibility to feed and exercise your animal. Shortly after boarding, ask the Service Manager when you can have access to the baggage car. And don't forget that you must claim your animal when you reach your destination!

Guide dogs and other service animals

Guide dogs for visually impaired passengers and other service animals that help passengers with special needs are welcome aboard the cars. They are not considered pets and travel free with their master.

jiorji
November 18th, 2007, 11:51 AM
yes they'll be going in the cargo car

wdawson
November 18th, 2007, 11:58 AM
jiorji

put on some dark glasses,get a white cane.put the cats on a harness....and voila.....seeing eye kitties:laughing:

jiorji
November 18th, 2007, 12:03 PM
HAHAHAHAHHAHA good one W.

I just hope they don't give me trouble about the cage. But they're good sturdy cages so i should be fine.

wdawson
November 18th, 2007, 12:11 PM
is it cheap for cargo......could you not get someone to put you in a crate too...then you can stay with the kitties....its only 5 hours:laughing:

jiorji
November 18th, 2007, 12:20 PM
between 15 and $50 bucks per cage...I think it'll be around$15 cos they're pretty small.

I just don't know if i'll go visit them. I don't want them getting riled up.
Tsk..pathetic meowing...nobody's skinning you alive hahah Drama queens:rolleyes:

wdawson
November 18th, 2007, 12:23 PM
between 15 and $50 bucks per cage...I think it'll be around$15 cos they're pretty small.

I just don't know if i'll go visit them. I don't want them getting riled up.
Tsk..pathetic meowing...nobody's skinning you alive hahah Drama queens:rolleyes:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

CyberKitten
November 18th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I have taken YY on the train from Moncton to northern NB with me on VIA Ral and they treated her in the style to which she has become accustomed - ie. very well!! :thumbs up

She was in the baggage or cargo car - same thing actually - and I went to see her often. All of the staff fell in love with her so they kept coming to me and saying how cte she was tho one fellow, a Cape Bretoner (like my fiance, lol), said there was some yowling at first but she's OK now. I was allowed to sit in the cat next to the baggage car and did see her about every half hr. Not all VIA Rail trains are equal so I am just explaining my experience. I have heard others were not so happy but most are.

It cost me $50 extra and that was when she was maybe 16 weeks old - I had to visit my folks and could not leave the new baby home. I gave her ciocculine tho Rescue Remedy is also good. Cocculine was recommended by my vet tho. You can buy it at Superstore or a health food store. It did help her sleep most of the way but since the crew and me were checking on her every 15 minutes, she was just fine. The Chief Conductor - also from Cape Breton - is the grandfather of a former patient so Lucked out and he wen the extra mile and let me in there more than I should have been.

Personally, I;d expect to pay $50 - depending on how far you have to travel.

Most VIA Rail staff are great - many have pets themselves. Good luck!! Oh , do ask if there are other animals so you can make sure if you have cats they are not near unknown dogs and so forth. YY was the only pet on board. So many people wanted to see her when I was waiting so be prepared for that too,. Many will be interested in your kitties!

jiorji
November 18th, 2007, 04:19 PM
eepp i hope it's not $50. that would make it $100:eek:

but i hope they enjoy the trip:fingerscr