Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help needed - recommendations sought

lee2
November 17th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I am traveling at Christmas and am seeking advise and personal experience with kennels/boarding/overnight care in the Ottawa area.

I have a new puppy (small dog) 4 months old and I have never left him. None of my friends have used local resources as they all have family to leave their dog with.

He is a typical puppy and enjoys alot of attention. I am seeking somewhere safe, clean, and loving.

Your help is much appreciated.

luckypenny
November 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the forum Lee2.

Is there any way you could take your puppy with you? I personally don't know of any one place in Ottawa but perhaps you can ask some of your friends' family members to babysit your puppy as well :shrug: ? If that doesn't work out, then maybe some members of local rescues might be able to help or recommend a good sitter for your pup.

mummummum
November 17th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I've been through the puppy stage a couple of times and would strongly recommend that you change your plans. Dogs are for life, they aren't accessories.

SnowDancer
November 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM
I suggest you ask your vet for a reference - or groomer if you pup has one at this point. You may find though that the more popular places are already full - people tend to book several months in advance. Depending on how long you will be away, actually boarding your pup with you vet might be your best option, unless you can find a place "puppy friendly". Not the best solution due to usual lack of walks etc. - but better safe than sorry.

jennlyn
November 18th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I agree with SnowDancer, I would ask your vet. I love my vet office and since I have several animals, they know me very well there. I am a foster parent of a 2yr old boy and 8mo old boy plus have 2 daughters of my own as well as 3 dogs, 2 cats and now 2 guinea pigs, lol. I love big families!! We live atleast an hour and a half from our closest relatives and do sometimes have to depend on another solution for our beloved pets. But I suggest you do get to know your vet and their staff well. I don't trust leaving my daughters with just anyone and I am just as picky with my pets. They are our babies as your puppy is your new baby. Hope everything works out for you.

Jenn

CearaQC
November 18th, 2007, 02:51 PM
There are bonded/licensed professional pet sitters out there too. That way your animals get to stay at home, and a nice person comes by a couple of times a day, or stays at your house.

When I was a teenager, the neighbors always called on me to take care of their pets while they were away. I always enjoyed the money. :laughing:

Once I even got to bottle feed 4 puppies when my parents' friends went out of town. Their mom dog wasn't producing enough milk or something so they dropped off the dog and I had fun taking care of them.