Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kids walking dogs

wdawson
November 17th, 2007, 05:38 PM
What age should children be before they can take the family dog on walks alone....i say 12-14 yrs of age.

The reason i ask is today,while finishing the xmas deco's a dog on leash ran up the side of my house followed by a girl of about 7-8 yrs old , when she went to get her she bolted....off goes the girl screaming at the dog....i look down the street after her and the a little girl about 4 goes running past calling the dog......the dog is headed for a busy intersection with two screaming kids chasing her......i get in my van and drive past the dog and proceed to call her.....she runs right to the girls. this could have been tragic for the dog...the dog is a 1 1/2 year lab/shepherd....no way these kids could control this dog.

joeysmama
November 17th, 2007, 06:00 PM
It could have been tragic for the kids as well. That's just irresponsible, in my opinion. I think that every circumstance is different and maybe someone with a well trained dog and a responsible child might be able to let them walk in the neighborhood at an earlier age.

But for the most part I think it's safer for everyone if the child is a little older. Our neighbors had a boxer who was very energetic, big, but still in the boundless energy puppy stage. The kids would open the door and he would bolt, galloping through the neighborhood--scaring the daylights out of my dog--while the kids would run after him waving the leash and running. We would have to scoop our small dog up right away or risk him getting trampled. It was very irritating.

Luba
November 17th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I was walking our dog and for others by the time I was 9yrs old.
It depends on the maturity of the kid and the personality of the dog. Every situation is unique.

A situation like what you observed today happens with adults too.

wdawson
November 17th, 2007, 08:32 PM

i have never had that happen.....it might happen with adults:rolleyes:. but i still think it happens more with kids:shrug:

Frenchy
November 17th, 2007, 08:44 PM
IMO the kid should outweight the dog , to be able to control the dog. Even so, I wouldn't let a young kid walk a dog alone anyway, lots of things can happen. :shrug:

jiorji
November 17th, 2007, 08:57 PM
i dunno Wayne...i'm 24 and i'm still not allowed to walk Bailey unsupervised:yell:

Frenchy
November 17th, 2007, 09:04 PM
i dunno Wayne...i'm 24 and i'm still not allowed to walk Bailey unsupervised:yell:

:laughing: :laughing: gotta watch out so that Jiorji doesn't dognap him :shrug:

JanM
November 17th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I've seen young kids in my neighbourhood walking dogs too - and I don't think they should be. Once a dog got away and the kids were chasing it - they obviously had never been taught the proper was to approach and work with dogs. No dangerous situation in that case but the dog did go into neighbours' yards. These kids had no idea of the "drama" they were participating in - or of what the dog was learning from all this!

I would worry too about children walking dogs - how would they handle an attack from another dog? There are some very unsocial dogs in my neighbourhood that have got out - luckily so far there have been no
serious accidents but I would sure worry about a child walking a dog with one of those dogs out!

I have to say though, I did see an adult chasing their dog and yelling at it to come back - doing everything wrong so if her kids learned from her - what chance to they have of doing it right????

pamha
November 17th, 2007, 11:16 PM
There`s almost 2 issues here. How old should a child be to be out alone, unsupervised in the first place, never mind adding a dog into it. That too can vary depending on the child and your neighborhood. Then, if the child can be trusted to, say, walk around the block alone, you have to know if they can handle the dog in question. Having the kid outweigh the dog sounds like a good rule of thumb, for starters. My daughter was allowed to walk our dog as far as I could watch her, on the sidewalk in front of our house when she was nine. The next year I started letting her go around the block, but only after we did lots of drills of "what do you do if...?"

I know we`ve established multiple time examples of horrible parenting here, and I think parents who don`t concern themselves much with the safety of their children aren`t going to be much more concerned when you add the dog in.:shrug:

jiorji
November 17th, 2007, 11:37 PM
LOL and having a man in a van drive after you and follow you doesn't look good either:laughing:

Wayne we know you mean well:D

mummummum
November 18th, 2007, 02:29 AM
I was walking our dog and for others by the time I was 9yrs old.
It depends on the maturity of the kid and the personality of the dog. Every situation is unique.

Respectfully, I must disagree.

No child can have enough maturity to decide a life or death situation.
No child has the physical strength or the will to overpower a fully grown dog.

This should not have happened, but it did.