Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Todays vet appointment

ancientgirl
November 17th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I took Kiska and Maks for their vaccinations today. I took the opportunity to ask the vet about Kiska's hind legs. Since I've had her, I've noticed they are a little curved inward. When she goes up the stairs, she hops on them, like a bunny. She walks and runs with no problems so she's not in pain.

The vet told me that the muscles in her hind legs are a little underdeveloped. She doesn't have the flexibility that she should. The vet said that as long as she was eating and doing everything else well, that she doesn't see it to be an issue, and that if I started doing some physio-therapy with her daily them the muscle should develop well. Her problem could either have been something she was born with, or something that developed due to her not using her legs. She said that Calico's tend to have issues like this. Can anybody confirm this?

This makes me very sad. I wonder if her and Maks were kept in that cage I found them in from the time they were very small kittens. I don't even want to think they were never allowed to run around.

But, my little Kiska seems fine and when she's laying on my lap in the evening I can start flexing her legs.

Maks gained a pound too! He's up to 4 pounds!:eek:

I think he and Vlad will be my two big boys LOL. Kiska might be like Oksana, petite. She's quite delicate, just like Oksana.

All in all, a good appointment.

chico2
November 17th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Ancientgirl,that's good news,especially that little Maks gained 2 lb's.
I am sure Kiskas legs will be ok soon,with lots of activities,love and care.
I was hoping for more pics,but I guess I can wait;)

ancientgirl
November 17th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Chico, pictures will be coming tonight. :D

chico2
November 17th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Ok,good stuff!!
I am going off now,but will check fiirst thing tomorrow morning,after I fed my guys:laughing:

krdahmer
November 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
That's good. Maks is gonna be a bruiser like Vlad. That way they have someone their own size to wrestle! And I'm sure Kiska just needs a little extra time, and she'll be as strong as the rest. :)

CearaQC
November 18th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Does the cat like to lay on its back during play and kick stuff? Maybe that might help a bit with the muscles. Or move some yarn or string or something along the floor so she can chase it.

I used to sit on the floor with all the kitties I've had over the years, and put yarn under my legs and pull it through. Kitties would see that yarn is disappearing and they want to attack it. Once the yarn is all the way out they tend to dive in and look for it. Then I would move my legs so they could see underneath and they would peer under and look for the yarn. It's a riot.

ancientgirl
November 18th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Yes, I'm glad Vlad and Maks will likely be close in size. Vlad keeps wanting to play with Oksana, but winds up playing too rough sometimes.

CearaCQ, she actually plays very well. She has no problem running and keeping up with the others. The good thing is I have stairs, so it's another good place for them to exercise, running up and down. I'm hoping she grows out of it.

I have to say, I didn't get their usual vet this time. She was off, and I got another vet that I've never seen there. I didn't like her too much. She suggested I declaw them, and she even told me I had to get them spayed & neutered in the next 3 weeks, while they are still young. I told her I was planning on doing it around December or January. The she started to tell me she may or may not be working during those days.

Um, I don't think so. I've first got to get the money set aside, and I'm having them operated by the same vet that operated on Vlad and Oksana, who is my favorite vet there, and the one who usually sees them all.

I just didn't like the suggestion of declawing or her assuming I wanted her to operate them not to mention putting pressure on me to do it so soon. They will still be young in January, they're only about 3 months old now I'd guess, so they'll be around the same age as Vlad and Oksana when they were operated once I can get the money together.

CearaQC
November 18th, 2007, 02:14 PM
huh? Suggesting declawing? Ugh...

Sounds like to me that person is only interesting in making money and hoping to pray on people's fears. I wouldn't like that person either.

You know what needs to be done. Don't listen to someone like that. In your shoes I might have said, "Good, thanks for telling me your schedule. Then I'll bring my pets in where you're not here!"

ancientgirl
November 18th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Believe me, I had to hold my tongue. I didn't want to say anything just in case I someday had no choice but to get her again. I really wanted their usual vet, but like I said, she wasn't working yesterday, and I didn't want them to wait an extra week for their vaccinations. Next time though, I'll wait a few extra days and make sure I don't get someone I don't like.

chico2
November 18th, 2007, 03:52 PM
On no declawing the babies,not on your life:yell:
I have a feeling my vet suggests the same to people who have no idea what the procedure is all about.My old vet was 100% against it..
It seems quiet common,spay/neuter/declaw all at one time,it's sickening:yell:

ancientgirl
November 18th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Yeah, she said it so matter of factly, "If you are going to declaw just get it done at the same time." I told her that I couldn't do that to them, and that if my other two weren't declawed, then these two weren't going to be either.