Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Canine Ecoli Symptoms

lolavan
May 31st, 2004, 01:08 PM
Our 5 year old Irish Terrier is typically very active and great eater. She has been very lethargic, not eating well, and has had diarreha the last few days. In her stools are fleshy type pink substance about 1/2" x 1-2" long. After doing some reading, I wonder if she has picked up Ecoli in the marsh we walk in every day.

What are the symptoms of Ecoli infection? And how would she have gotten it?

Thanks for any information!

Dianne

Bill & Bob
May 31st, 2004, 01:37 PM
defenitely check out the Ask the Vet section. I'll try and find the article. There are a few that are really good. Bob had the poops a few months back and the vet said it was likely ecoli or something he picked up in the park. Very similar symptoms, lethargic, totally runny stools, etc.

Not sure what the pink things are all about. Could be residual of whatever the dog picked up, but not sure.

Is the dog still drinking at all? That's the important one. Don't want them to get dehydrated. I held Bob off his food for a day at the vets direction to clear things out. When I gave him his food back a day later, he didn't want it much either. He didn't even want much water for a few days. Vet gave us some antibiotics. Eventually Bob was back to drinking, and things got back to normal after about a week.

Per a friends suggestion, I bought a frying chicken and boiled the hell out of it. Kept the broth and mixed it with his water. Deboned the chicken and gradually mixed it with his dry food. He went nuts over it. Couldn't resist.

lolavan
May 31st, 2004, 02:13 PM
Dear Bill and Bob,

Sounds very similar to your dog's symptoms. Thanks for the advice. We are going to the vet tomorrow.

Dianne

mona_b
May 31st, 2004, 02:17 PM
Also,when you bring your dog to the vets,bring in a stool sample.This way they can also check for parasites,which can also cause this.

Luba
May 31st, 2004, 04:25 PM
Ditto, sterilize a glass jar (boil it in water on the stove for 5mins)

Air dry it upside down on papertowel and collect the stool sample fresh for the vet.