Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hoping to adopt a Wheaten Terrier

barbara001
November 15th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Hi, I am new at this and am hoping to find a Wheaten Terrier for adoption. I have applied with Wheaten Rescue. Where should I put my posting?
Thanks!

white wrabbit
November 15th, 2007, 07:36 PM
probably not possible.. but i found my self here and they have one but kinda far from where you are.. and it is a mix...
http://www.edmontonhumanesociety.com/pet_search.html

also have you tried looking of petfinder or 1800saveapet?

Winston
November 15th, 2007, 07:45 PM
You can also do a search by breed on www.petfinders.org

Cindy

the gang
November 15th, 2007, 08:57 PM
sashas den rescue has a 5 yr old male named finnigan, good luck brenda and the pins.

barbara001
November 15th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks for your input, I will try these sites!

diandpat
November 15th, 2007, 11:13 PM
There is a lady on Yahoo who operates a rescue site from Kansas but often has dogs in New York. Either way it is an invaluable site that is worth checking into as there is a ton on information regarding health and behavioral issues of this breed. I came upon it when we "adopted" our stray wheaten mix.

Good luck.

sarahcat
November 16th, 2007, 11:38 AM
My in-laws have a nearly eight year old wheaten called Jack who is absolutelu gorgeous. He's very friendly and well behaved, has never damaged anything, loves people, doesn't mind other dogs in the sense he's not aggressive - he just ignores them. They're a really nice breed. Good luck with your hunt for one.

melly1919
November 16th, 2007, 12:18 PM
how do i post a ad on this site?

rehomeotis
May 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I have a 4 year old neutered male wheaten, great dog, house trained, good in car and boat, obedience trained, microchipped, shots current (to 2009), never goes on the furniture, ok alone while I work. Likes to run like a fool, but doesn't go far. Ok with other dogs and my cat. But, very territorial and aggressive with everyone except me - over protective to the extreme. He is fine when boarded, or if out with anyone else. Not good with children, or the elderly. Seems to confuse the wheaten lick greating with a wheaten nip greating. Never has made contact though. Likes his crate - an insecure dog. I need to re-home him with someone where there are no children in the area, or, someone who is very patient although a trainer told me he could never be trusted fully - I honestly don't know if he would actually bite, but he acts like he might. Very loveable and loyal to me, - very very sensitive dog needs an experienced, gentle "alpha" owner.

Toonces
May 25th, 2008, 08:00 PM
OP whas from Nov 2007 I am assuming they have found a dog already since they never replied to this thread.

angeldogs
May 25th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I have a 4 year old neutered male wheaten, great dog, house trained, good in car and boat, obedience trained, microchipped, shots current (to 2009), never goes on the furniture, ok alone while I work. Likes to run like a fool, but doesn't go far. Ok with other dogs and my cat. But, very territorial and aggressive with everyone except me - over protective to the extreme. He is fine when boarded, or if out with anyone else. Not good with children, or the elderly. Seems to confuse the wheaten lick greating with a wheaten nip greating. Never has made contact though. Likes his crate - an insecure dog. I need to re-home him with someone where there are no children in the area, or, someone who is very patient although a trainer told me he could never be trusted fully - I honestly don't know if he would actually bite, but he acts like he might. Very loveable and loyal to me, - very very sensitive dog needs an experienced, gentle "alpha" owner.
Have you tried a Wheaton rescue?.

LavenderRott
May 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM

Please have your dog evaluated by a professional behaviourist and if you must rehome - go through a rescue group. From the sounds of your post, you have a dog that is a bite statistic waiting to happen - not good with old people or children, can't have children in the area.

rehomeotis
May 26th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I had contacted a wheaten rescue, and was told that if he shows signs of aggression (which he does), he is not suitable for them. He doesn't seem to have any problems if he is with someone else, somewhere other than what he thinks is "his". He isn't the smartest dog on the block, but very loving. I am starting to wonder if he might be brain injured in some way (I got him at 4 months and he was very shy, but friendly). He is unpredictable, and doesn't show any signs before launching- even if he has been buddies for 2 days of running around the cottage he has suddenly and without warning grumbled and tried to nip. He seems to be getting worse, but of course he probably senses my anxiety every time I am out with him. (muzzled). But again, he is well behaved when boarded, or if someone takes him out away from me. I am fairly experienced with dogs, but he has me baffled. I took him to a trainer who told me the dog was "too attached" to me, and that he could never be trusted, but "might" respond to intensive (expensive) training. Any rescue leads are welcome.
thanks

LavenderRott
May 26th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Doesn't sound like a brain injury - sounds like a temperment problem. Had you gotten him sooner, trained him with a trainer and socialized the heck out of him, he might not have the issues he is having. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Honestly, if you absolutely can not keep him, you might have to put him to sleep. While not something I would ever, ever recommend for a solid, stable dog - rehoming a dog that is as fear aggressive ( and that is what it sounds like from your post) and reactionary is very dangerous - usually for an unsuspecting child.

diandpat
May 26th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I have no idea where you are located but go to the link below and ask your questions there. The lady who runs the group also runs a rescue out of Kansas City and this is a very knowledgeable list for wheaten questions. They were invaluable to me when I rescued my wheaten X and was totally unprepared for the terrier mentality after rescuing a very mellow golden two years earlier.

www.wheatenterrierrescue.org

Good luck and please keep us posted.

angeldogs
May 27th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I had contacted a wheaten rescue, and was told that if he shows signs of aggression (which he does), he is not suitable for them. He doesn't seem to have any problems if he is with someone else, somewhere other than what he thinks is "his". He isn't the smartest dog on the block, but very loving. I am starting to wonder if he might be brain injured in some way (I got him at 4 months and he was very shy, but friendly). He is unpredictable, and doesn't show any signs before launching- even if he has been buddies for 2 days of running around the cottage he has suddenly and without warning grumbled and tried to nip. He seems to be getting worse, but of course he probably senses my anxiety every time I am out with him. (muzzled). But again, he is well behaved when boarded, or if someone takes him out away from me. I am fairly experienced with dogs, but he has me baffled. I took him to a trainer who told me the dog was "too attached" to me, and that he could never be trusted, but "might" respond to intensive (expensive) training. Any rescue leads are welcome.
thanks

As i have learned there a signs and they can be suttle it's knowing what to look for.if you can get help with his aggression would that make a difference.wheatons can be aggressive but with work and knowing the signs.i can get you in contact with my instructor for the aggression.thats what she specialize in.

rehomeotis
May 27th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all the wisdom offered - I contacted a different rescue today, and the results are consistent - if the dog is unpredicable and at risk of/likely to bite, they cannot be responsibly re-homed. I am west of Toronto (Ontario) so if there is a resource that might help, that isn't too terribly costly, I am happy to receive it - I don't know how to do that "safely/confidentially" on a site like this though! I am sadly resigning myself to the reality that the only truly responsible thing might be to put him down. Even with the crate, the muzzle walks etc, there is always a moment sometime where dog meets person unexpectedly. Kinda like a loaded gun in the cutlery drawer. thanks again!

LavenderRott
May 27th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Having been in your shoes, you have my sympathy and respect. I am sure that you will do the right thing.