Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poor Goldie

sammiec
May 31st, 2004, 11:07 AM
Allright. This story really upsets me, but I need some help. I'll explain.

I live in an apartment building in the city. There is a lady in my building that had a dog - gr & gs mix (I'm almost sure). Anyway, this dog was socialized and wonderful as a puppy. The lady and the dog walked constantly and this were great. As the dog matured it developed agression towards many other dogs in the building this went on for about a year, with many complaints for building residents.

I had an encounter with the lady and her dog about 2 months ago. I was taking my 7 month puppy out to the washroom and this lady and her dog came out. She cannot control the thing on leash no matter what!! Goldie (the dog) spotted my dog and came tearing across the field. I was terrified, 130lbs this dog was massive!!! My submissive little pitbull puppy lied down while this visious dog came closer and closer. I yelled at the lady to control her dog!! She smiled and pulled him away, then insisted that she had something to show me... she released the friggin dog!!! I yelled at her to put the leash back on and tried to walk away. Goldie began growling and trying to attack my puppy! She hit Goldie numerous times with the leash and tehn put him back on. I never talked to her since this day....
3 days ago, I was out once again with my puppy and a friends gr. I was walkignth 2 of them when here comes the lady... another 5 month old gr was with me and a 2 yr. old lab ( I wasn't walking all the dogs!!) but she came over and thought that it would be fun for them all the play... needless to say her dog attacked the 5 month old puppy.
I found out last night that the lady had gone to seek advice for her dog... she went to the shelter and they hold her that her options were a) train the dog in private session where no ther dogs are around (with a professional trainer) or put the dog down.... the shelter could not adopt becasue of the obvious aggression.
The lady put the dog down!!! :( I feel SOOO bad for the poor dog. I hated it, but I still feel bad!!!
So after all this balbbering what I really want to know.. whould there have even been a chance for this dog to be rehabilitated???...*sigh, this is soo sad.....

Lucky Rescue
May 31st, 2004, 11:43 AM
Killing a dog for being aggressive towards other dogs is insane!! Many breeds and dogs are aggressive to other dogs, but they are not the problem.

The problem occurs when they are owned by clueless idiots, like this woman. This dog did not need to be "rehabilitated". It needed to be trained. You cannot make a dog like other dogs, but you CAN teach them to behave around other dogs. This is completely doable, unless the dog has a neurological problem.

I am very disturbed by the trend that says all dogs must be harmless animated teddy bears, showing no aggression to anything under any circumstances. What's next? Killing dogs who chase cats, or cats who are "bird-aggressive"?

This woman is an idiot, but unfortunately there are many like her. She not only got this dog killed, but her idiocy could do damage to other people's dogs. A puppy who is attacked is liable to develop fear or aggression towards other dogs, where it may not have. :mad:

sammiec
May 31st, 2004, 11:53 AM
I completely agree with you! I've never been scared of a dog in my life! This dog scared me.. actually I think it was the thought of this dog being around when Briggs, my dog, got older; the thought of her finishing the fight with Goldie scared me...
This lady was a complete idiot. I mean, this dog had gotten so bad that if it spotted another dog it wanted to attack, nothing to provoke it, except the sight of it!!
I am SOO frustrated!! People should be put through the ringer - like they are when buying a house - before they get an animal. The penalties for these actions must be recorded and people that cannot raise animals should NEVER be allowed another chance!!!
I found it astonishing how laid back they were when we adopted Briggs, I think it was just that they wanted to get the pitbull litter out of the shelter.. the lady even told me that they screen the people that they give these dogs to... I filled out a reglaur adoption application... excellent screening....

P.S. I also just found out that she's already looking for another dog!!!! :mad: (I with this icon had smoke coming from the ears!!)

WOODY
May 31st, 2004, 03:28 PM
....I would put down bad owners and rescue the dogs.

In fifty years of animal rescue I have never seen a dog that could not be rehabbed. Once the dog is off the territory it is familar with and away from the people whose abuse and / or stupidity have made them what they are - you have an excellent chance to save them.
Dogs will respond to love and attention.
Period.
For those who do not agree and in the interest of brevity I cannot be dissuaded from my belief that any dog can be saved-given enough time and attention.
Woody. :D

melanie
May 31st, 2004, 05:44 PM
lucky you dont own a gun, i would have put her down also. what a cow, poor puppy, there is never a bad dog just bad owners. make sure you are a real bitch to this lady, i would say something under my breath every time i saw her, and just glare at her every time you see her, i would. but then i would have bitten her too by now, stupid witch. sickens me that people get dogs and when a problem arises, well they just kill it. it is like a tv or something, it breaks or you dont like the picture, you throw it out. so many people treat animals as if they are toys. but i think that it is all related to our materialistic consumer driven disposable society. :mad: :mad:

Luba
May 31st, 2004, 05:46 PM
She should be PTS!! Her ignorance cost this dog it's life!! People are horribly ignorant and this just breaks my heart.

However, better for the dog then being with her, I'm sure she was not very nice to this dog.

Spoiled
May 31st, 2004, 06:37 PM
She can just wait until your puppy is grown up and she releases her dog to attack it. There might be a massive dog fight. :mad:

Chany
May 31st, 2004, 07:44 PM
Uh Mel weren't you just in a different post explaining tolerance? :confused: :confused: to different people with different ways and now you're saying you'd shoot someone?

melanie
May 31st, 2004, 07:58 PM
tolerance is a long way from sheer bloody stupidity....

Chany
May 31st, 2004, 08:07 PM
Yeah I agree, and not to start anything but stapling a dog's head. :confused: Thats close to #1 on my list. :) But like you said to each his own but I'm sure that guy would of had a few staples in his ass if I would have saw that!!! :D

melanie
May 31st, 2004, 08:15 PM
that was an example of their treatment, i would never do it or advise it...