Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fighting brother cats

3Dogs&Cats
November 15th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Hello everyone - have any of you dealt with this situation? One cat (both indoor, neutered, declawed, age 4) sees another cat outside, turns around and beats up his brother. Now they've gotten to staring down each other - the slow-motion posturing, growling, fur flying. Any suggestions would be GREAT! thanks!

krdahmer
November 15th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I get that a lot here with a new outside visitor, I just wait a minute to make sure it is going to be more than just posturing then spray them if it gets too rough. My two big tuxedo boys love to wrestle, and usually I just let them, unless it is a little too intense like when they are riled up because of the outside guy. I just use the dollar store water bottle and I have them all over the house as they are a great training tool. I can just make the noise of the water bottle now in most situations and they walk away or stop what they are doing.

happycats
November 15th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Yup I have the exact same problem!! Except mine are not declawed and I had 6 (4 now) and he will attack not only his brother, but anyone he sees, a couple od times it was a human!!

It's almost like he thinks that strange cat he saw outside, is now inside so just goes crazy, screaming and everything!

He's 11 years old now, so I have had 11 years experience dealing with this. What I do is calmly keep calling his name, and arm myself with pillows, so I can get a pillow between him and whoever he tries to attack, and keep diverting him with the pillow and talking calmly to him until he calms down. then I just pet him until he turns back into his sweet self.

The pillow (I like the regular sleeping size one) ensures he doesn't attack, and if he does he can't hurt himself if you have a pillow between them

Good luck and I hope it works for you.

Love4himies
November 15th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I have not run into this particular problem, but a co worker has a cat that does the same thing.

clm
November 15th, 2007, 12:22 PM
My first cat Toby was like that. He'd get so worked up seeing another cat, he'd turn around and attack little Maxie. Just to keep him out of the space he was protecting, he didn't continue the assault once Max left the forbidden zone. :laughing:
Did that the entire 18 years I had him.

Cindy

3Dogs&Cats
November 15th, 2007, 12:24 PM
for the information!!!

Element~5
November 15th, 2007, 09:03 PM
My friends cat went through the same thing. Except he would beat up his brother when a new human came into the house. He is a fairly shy cat, but whenever a new person would come into the house, he would turn on his brother. I think that it's just a reaction, due to stress, nerves, etc.