Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Barking Issues

AllPawsIn
November 14th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I have 2 pugs, Gabby is 4 yrs old and Lucy is 6 months. My problem is that Gabby A) barks at the TV if there are animals on (or the tv tropolis commercial for some reason) and B) She barks and runs in crazy circles in the yard when people or dogs walk by.

There seems to be nothing we can do to distract her. We've tried spraying her with water, rewarding her if she does breifly stop, holding her, distracting her. I'm now very concerned because Lucy is starting to display the same behavior, any suggestions??

Dingo
November 14th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I would suggest trying clicker training. There are plenty of articles available online, and a few books as well. Some advocate training the dog to bark on command, and then you can train another command to "be quiet." Check out Karen Pryor's website.

sugarcatmom
November 15th, 2007, 07:18 AM
You might also want to check out some of the great info on Dr. Ian Dunbar's site: http://www.dogstardaily.com/article/excessive-barking

thnord
November 18th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Clicker training is great. It also teaches humans how to reward in a manner dogs understand.

But, to your problem
I don't thimk your dog understands what you mean.

When I walk past a front yard with a dog in it and it barks at me and the owner opens the window and yells "Shut up you mut! Be quiet!!" This IMO is the pinnacle of stupidity. Ain't no dog born that will belive the owner is yelling at him! Dog thinks he's yelling at me and is trying to chase me too and that owner is happy that the dog is barking so loud. But dog sometimes also thinks owner has some wierd ways of showing appreciation.

My excuses in advance if this does not apply to you.

Tom