Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Broken Leg!!!!!!!

mackscot
November 14th, 2007, 03:52 PM
My dog had a broken leg, and was with a cast for 6 weeks, (he had a pin and wires in it) the pin was removed at 8 weeks, everyone thought that was why he still would not walk on his leg, it is 10 weeks now, he only walks on it when he "forgets" and is playing with our other dog or outside on uneven ground and has to use it, we tell him "paw down" and he puts it down but will not walk on it, the muscle tone is non existent now, how do we make him use it?
Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks, Heather

Winston
November 14th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Welcome to pets.ca~! I really dont know much about a broken leg on a dog but I was thinking that maybe swimming? Probably sounds crazy but it would get the muscles and leg moving? I am sure someone will be along with more info!

We do require pictures of your dog here! :laughing:

Cindy

Element~5
November 14th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure how expensive it is, but there are clinics that offer physiotherapy for animals. There are trained professionals who would know how to help your dog walk on all four's again :)

Here is a link to a ER clinic in Toronto that offers this service, I'm not sure where abouts you're located, but if you are not close to Toronto, try a google search for a place closer to you, or maybe check with your local vet.

http://www.vectoronto.com/rehab_center.php

BMDLuver
November 14th, 2007, 09:09 PM
This kind of an injury is a slow process to heal. As your dog had major surgery, the vet should be explaining what the next steps are.. ie. 20 minute walk on a short leash in order to assist with using that leg.. only do exercise on the recommendation of the vet. My guy had major surgery like that and we did nothing until over the 12 week mark and then it was a 4 week process to get him to the point of going for a normal walk. It takes time to recover and overdoing it can also do a heck of a lot of harm. Talk to your vet first.. they should be guiding you through the next phase.

CyberKitten
November 14th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I concur ith BMD - a process should be developed for your dog so that he can get over this surgery cautiously and carefully and slowly!! Just like we humans when we have major surgery, he cannot be expected to be back to normal immediately post op. He may need phsyio and other aids to help him as he adjusts to the repaired fracture. Talk to your vet and ask for a schedule , as what you can do to help make your dog more comfortable - maybe some small steps or buying aids like ramps that will help till he is ready to fully walk normally. There are many aids on the market now and I would think your vet can recommend some.

Good luck!!! I hope your dog is feeling better soon and back to his walking self asap!!

growler~GateKeeper
November 14th, 2007, 11:11 PM
If the brake has healed properly he should have no trouble walking in small increments on that leg - he has just gotten used to not being able to use it.

Physiotherapy is a great suggestion Element~5 :thumbs up I used a vet certified dog physiotherapist for my :rip: Cally when he was dealing w/arthritis the sessions were btwn $60-80 depending on what & how much was done that time, so for your guy it is a good starting ballpark - definately look into it. They will show you muscle strengthening excercises you can continue @ home along with massages to help the muscle tone.

good luck :goodvibes: let us know how it goes