Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Buying a guinie pig

jennlyn
November 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM
My daughter wants a guinie pig, but I don't know if I should get a male or female. I know when we had hampsters, the males were a lot cuddlier. Didn't know if they were similar, and also wanted to know if there is much more care involved than a hampster. Would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks so much, Jenn.

jiorji
November 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM
i've had both male and females and they get cuddly if you spend time with them. Both my female and male would take naps with me. They're more social than hamsters( no p!:p) My female greeted me with squeaks everytime i came home. And she answered to her name.

guinea pigs don't like wheels. They can break their backs. Don't get one. Also don't get one of those round hamster ball things either. And they need those mineral and salt wheels. You also need to learn to trim their nails cos you have to do that every month.

Lise
November 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Guinea pigs are probably the best pet for kids.We've had males and females and they have all been wonderful.Make sure they receive vitamin c,most guinea pig pellets contain it,but rabbit pellets don't usually and they can develop scurvy or paralaysis.Fruits and vegetabes are also important as is a good quality hay.Pellets are too fattening and not enough fiber for them.

Lise
November 14th, 2007, 04:45 PM
They do need some pellets daily,but hay all the time timothy is one the best alfalfa tends to be too rich.Thats the nice thing about having guinea pigs and horses I've got about three hundred bales,cheaper and better than pet store stuff!

jennlyn
November 14th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the info, I went to our local pet store and looked at some. They have 5 babies they just took from momma. 1 was tan and white with blue eyes and the other 1 I liked was black with a brown patch of hair on top of his head, lol. It looked like a hair piece! I think we will decide by Friday, but most likely we are getting 1.

badger
November 14th, 2007, 06:13 PM
They really are lovely pets. With frequent gentle handling, they can become quite snuggly. Easy to care for. Talkative. If at all possible, I would get two; one might be lonely if the family is away all day. Just make sure they are the same sex. My father brought home two 'males', and you guess the rest! My male was an enormous grey, all rosettes (the 'hairpiece' effect). What a guy.

Chicklet
November 14th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Guinea pigs are oft times refered to as cavies.
there is lots of different breeds but around here there is three more prominate ones.
Smooth, as the name refers short haired and smooth
peruvians, Long haired
abyssinian, shorter type hair with rosette swirls.
Unless you want to have young, it's best to stick with one sex,
as guinea pigs come in heat every 15 days or so, and can breed as early as 4 weeks of age,
Buying Guinea pig pellets is good, But be aware that vitamin C in pellet form deteriorates rather rapidly, So the fresher the pellets the better, Adding fresh fruits and vegs to their diet is a definite plus to consider, and helps ensure vitamin C is obtained.
Feeding from a bag or container that allows sound and causes familiarity to feeding time will oft times encourage loud squealing when any sound similar is heard.
A large sized pen is easily made, Does not have to be enclosed as guinea pig won't jump over anything, approx 8 to 12 inches in height is more then sufficient, Guinea pigs do require reasonable warmth or they will die,
4 feet wide pen would be excellent but not plausible in most cases, Trimming of nails all depends on the exercise given to each animal. Teeth is also another area that has to be monitored, giving sticks safe for pigs is a good idea, keeps their teeth growth in check.
Guinea pigs are a true pleasure and a wonderful pet for children responsible enough to care for them, Hamsters can be a disapointment to kids as they are a night time creature and sleep days, If disturbed incorrectly they can and will bite. Guinea pigs if treated gentle and held alot rarely if ever bite,

Lukka'sma
November 14th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I have always wanted but just never got a guinea pig, actually I want a skinny pig...OMG they are cute.