Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing a 2nd pup

purple01
November 14th, 2007, 02:15 PM
We have a 7mnth old golden and are wanting to get another one, can anyone advise what is a good age gap please, want to get it right as we`ve always wanted 2 together, our last lovely boy was one on his own and we said next time 2 of them. Looking forward to double trouble!

clm
November 14th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Is there a good age gap? If there is, I haven't got it :laughing: Mine are 2 months apart (8months & 6 months old) and as different as night and day in personality and size. We too decided it was time to try 2 together and we're loving it.

Cindy

jennlyn
November 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I was wondering too, except my Golden, Brady Boy, is 5 years old. I want a girl really bad, especially now since I have been seeing everyone's pics!!

Ford Girl
November 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM
You guys are insane!!! LOL! Isn't one enough trouble? hahah! Altho they are not all as mischievious as my golden is. :evil: hahah! I do think 2 would be fun. :cloud9:

Let's see soem pics of your goldens!!! :thumbs up

Bentley'sMom
November 14th, 2007, 06:48 PM
One time we had a 9 month old dog and then brought in an 8 week old puppy. It eventually worked out OK, but it's wiser IMO to have the 1st dog be at least 18 months. Before that age you're still doing so much training and reinforcement of it. Having a new puppy can make the training process take longer with the first dog as well as the puppy. It's a challenge, but can be done. This time we have a 6 yr. old golden retriever, Bentley, and now also have a 15 week old lab. There are some jealousy issues with the older dog so we're trying to make sure he has his own special time with us each day. So, I guess I would say an ideal age separation would be somewhere inbetween.

Klurik
November 23rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
We have a 7 year old pitXbulldog and will be getting our new puppy around christmas. mastiffXrottieXgreat dane. Can't wait! lots of fun instore

mummummum
November 24th, 2007, 01:06 AM
No matter what... you are going to run into issues. I'm not sure there IS a right age to get another dog. Other than when a dog is elderly, that is.

The main thing is ~ are YOU prepared to deal with whatever sleeplessness and jealousy and neediness and craziness that may and WILL come along (as is the nature of puppies and most certainly a two-dog household). :D

I'm rattling your cage a little... but, just remember I was foolish enough to rescue two sisters :eek: and to adopt a third boy knowing that I had a hyper-dominant grrrl.

I just want to make sure you know what you are getting into and are making the best decision for your dog and yourselves.