Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thoughts on "Tast of The Wild" food?

Tigergenesis
November 14th, 2007, 09:29 AM
My local petstore raised the prices on TO Ocean Blue again. I will happily pay whatever it takes to provide the best for my dog. While at the store and after accepting the price increase, I noticed a new food on the shelf called "Taste of The Wild". I am particularly interested in the Pacific Stream grain free formula. I got a sample bag and have been giving it to my dog as treats and she loves it just as much as TO Ocean Blue.

Any thoughts on this food? I'm thinking of maybe alternating between it and Ocean Blue, but want to make sure it is as good as or better than the TO. http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/dogs/pacific_stream_canine_formula/

Bentley'sMom
November 14th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Taste of the Wild is probably a decent food to have in your rotation, but overall the TO Ocean Blue looks like it's superior. Both have similar protein and fat percentages. The 2nd ingredient in Taste of the Wild is "ocean fish meal" which leaves you wondering what types they are; the salmon oil in TO may be superior to the canola oil in Taste of the Wild; also the "natural flavor" in Taste of the Wild" is a pretty vague term. My comments may be somewhat picky and Taste of the Wild certainly looks superior to a lot of other formulas I've seen. I'm also curious if anyone else has tried it. My 6 yr. old golden retriever was on TO for several months and did well on it. Now, he and my 15 week old lab are both on Orijen (grain free). It works well for us.

Goldens4Ever
November 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM
That food is manufactured by Diamond & they sent me some literature on it. I've corresponded with them several times about this new line because I wanted to find out why they beleive it necessary to include Tomato Pomace in their formulas. That is a stool hardener & we kept going back & forth about why they use it.

Anyway, it looks really decent, but I am disappointed that the High Prairie & Wetlands formulas both contain chicken meal, so for those whose dogs cannot eat chicken, those would not work. For those two formulas, it would've been better if they just left that out. If they did, I would consider my two trying it.

The ingredients in the Pacific Stream formula look good, BUT it's pretty low in fat. This would be a decent formula for a senior dog, as long as he/she received some additional sources of protein. This would also be a great weight loss formula.

Goldens4Ever
November 14th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Taste of the Wild is probably a decent food to have in your rotation, but overall the TO Ocean Blue looks like it's superior. Both have similar protein and fat percentages. The 2nd ingredient in Taste of the Wild is "ocean fish meal" which leaves you wondering what types they are; the salmon oil in TO may be superior to the canola oil in Taste of the Wild; also the "natural flavor" in Taste of the Wild" is a pretty vague term.....

Yep. :dog:

JanM
November 14th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I understand that "natural flavour" is another term for MSG... I wouldn't touch that with a 10' pole if it is MSG..

Goldens4Ever
November 14th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I understand that "natural flavour" is another term for MSG...

No, I do not believe that is correct. If MSG was in there, it would have to be listed as such. Plus, MSG is not a flavoring agent - it's a preservative. Preservatives are not used a flavoring agents in dog food.

Tigergenesis
December 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Taste of the Wild is probably a decent food to have in your rotation, but overall the TO Ocean Blue looks like it's superior. Both have similar protein and fat percentages. The 2nd ingredient in Taste of the Wild is "ocean fish meal" which leaves you wondering what types they are; the salmon oil in TO may be superior to the canola oil in Taste of the Wild; also the "natural flavor" in Taste of the Wild" is a pretty vague term. My comments may be somewhat picky and Taste of the Wild certainly looks superior to a lot of other formulas I've seen. I'm also curious if anyone else has tried it. My 6 yr. old golden retriever was on TO for several months and did well on it. Now, he and my 15 week old lab are both on Orijen (grain free). It works well for us.

That food is manufactured by Diamond & they sent me some literature on it. I've corresponded with them several times about this new line because I wanted to find out why they beleive it necessary to include Tomato Pomace in their formulas. That is a stool hardener & we kept going back & forth about why they use it.

Anyway, it looks really decent, but I am disappointed that the High Prairie & Wetlands formulas both contain chicken meal, so for those whose dogs cannot eat chicken, those would not work. For those two formulas, it would've been better if they just left that out. If they did, I would consider my two trying it.

The ingredients in the Pacific Stream formula look good, BUT it's pretty low in fat. This would be a decent formula for a senior dog, as long as he/she received some additional sources of protein. This would also be a great weight loss formula.

In light of the new information posted in this thread (regarding the ingredient change to TO), I'm wondering if your thoughts on TO being better than Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream formula are the same?

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=47284

When I noticed the price jump I never thought to look at my bag and see if the ingredients were the same. I have noticed that my dog isn't as excited about the food as she used to be. She used to love to just eat the kibble as treats, but turns her nose up to it now. I guess I'm in the market for a new grain free (no chicken, beef or turkey) kibble.