Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How long is can food good?

Tigergenesis
November 14th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Once you open a can of dog food, how long is it good for - in other words, when must it be used by (assuming it is not stored in the can, but transferred to another container)?

I've not been able to find any 'official' recommendations.

Thank you!

Bluedrake
November 14th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Well, once you open a can, it's really won't last for more than two or three days. After that, you'd be pushing your luck and risking your pet's health.

It's a different story altogether if you freeze it, but remember to warm it to room temperature before feeding it then.

Tigergenesis
November 14th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Thanks! My problem is that I only feed a small amount of canned and brands I like to give my dog only come in the larger cans. Based on how much I feed her a day there's no way I can finish the whole can in only 2-3 days.

If I freeze the food to make it last longer, is there any nutrient loss? If so, do I need to add anything to the thawed food to replace that loss?

sugarcatmom
November 14th, 2007, 07:18 AM
If I freeze the food to make it last longer, is there any nutrient loss? If so, do I need to add anything to the thawed food to replace that loss?

I would think any nutrient loss would be pretty minimal. Not enough to worry about, especially if you're only feeding a small amount.

mika140
November 14th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Wow....thanks for posting this question. I had no idea.....I've probably been going a week or so with a can. :eek: I don't transfer the contents, but just put a cover/lid on the can. I guess I've wondered at times, but thought it would last that long. Good to know.....guess I have some planning to do now.

Tigergenesis
November 14th, 2007, 08:03 AM
I think I'll go the freezing route - just need to find some good containers to use now.

Thanks!

growler~GateKeeper
November 14th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I emailed Wellness several weeks ago re freezing cat food cuz the 12.5oz cans are cheaper than the same volume of 6oz cans - they said it's fine too freeze

I use Ziplock single serving freezable containers ;)