Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neutering Age

cutelittlemako
May 30th, 2004, 10:28 PM
I was wondering what is the earliest age a dog can be neutered at? I got my Great Dane neutered when he was about 5 months old. I asked the first vet I consulted with my puppy Mako and they said they would not neuter an animal under 6 months (they did my cat and he was under 6 months). I read alot of articles concerning this and some more recent ones were stating that some research has proven that neutering after 4 months is fine. I was thinking more like 5 months with Mako, but i'm not sure what to think any more. I'm going to the vet on tuesday and I plan to ask him, but I wanted to know other opinions before going in.
Thanks

Luba
May 30th, 2004, 10:53 PM
I've been going through the same delemna as you.
Sadie is just turning 6mons old. I was debating before/after six months but decided to wait to six months for that reason and for the fact she may need dental surgery as well (two birds, one stone...one recovery time).

Here is some interesting information you may want to look over:

http://www.ivis.org/advances/Concannon/olson/chapter_frm.asp?LA=1

cutelittlemako
May 30th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks for that article Luba, I skimmed trough it and it seemed pretty good - but they were talking about neutering as young as 7 weeks... Still there is alot of good and diverse info on what aspects of the dog can be affected!

Boy, i've been keeping you busy lately haven't I? Thanks for all the info though! You've been Very helpful!

Now can you tell me what to do about Mako eating all the june bugs that hang around in my back yard :D !

cutelittlemako
May 30th, 2004, 11:13 PM
O.K. so I've read the article...very interesting by the way! The only thing that I got out of it that relates to my situation is that the younger you get a dog neutered, the easier it is for them to recover. Makes sense! The rest was also good, but most studies debated the to neuter or not to neuter question... And I will get him neutered for sure.

It's a great article though. And I think that kittens and puppies should get neutered when they are at the shelter, instead of there being a clause in the contract. If it doesn't negatively affect the pet, then I'm all for it! So what if some people don't adopt pets if they're altered, they shouldn't get them anyways if the shelter is going to have to place 10 more kittens in the long run!

Lucky Rescue
May 31st, 2004, 09:41 AM
they shouldn't get them anyways if the shelter is going to have to place 10 more kittens in the long run!

Exactly! The Laval SPCA bragged to me about adopting out 700 cats and kittens last year. They do not spay and neuter, so if even 200 of those cats go on to have a litter, you can see they are NOT helping the situation, but actually making it worse. :mad:

For a responsible owner like you, I see no rush to have a male dog neutered.

cutelittlemako
May 31st, 2004, 09:50 AM
I will ask my vet tomorow, I'm thinking maybe i'll do it when he's 5 months old, I would like him to keep squating to pee - I wouldn't want him lifting his leg!

Yeah, it would be great if all animal shelters could have the pets altered before adopting them out! When I got my cat at the Humane society, he was only a few months old and I paid 130$ for him, which included the neutering, but they did not follow up to see if I did it or not. At least they microchip every pet that walks out of there! I guess when you work in rescue, it's good to be sure that if the dog comes back, you can I.D. him!

Lucky Rescue
May 31st, 2004, 10:33 AM
I'm thinking maybe i'll do it when he's 5 months old, I would like him to keep squating to pee - I wouldn't want him lifting his leg!

Neutering won't stop him from lifting his leg, if he is going to. Some dominant females lift their legs! :D

cutelittlemako
May 31st, 2004, 11:13 AM
Oh, I didn't know that! My neighbour's dog was neutured at 4 months and he doesn't lift his leg, so I figured that it might be the reason. Oh well that's good to know. I can just take my time and do it when it best fits Mako then. Maybe when I start to see that he's getting more mature. I feel as though he's still only a baby now, so I don't want to do it too soon either. Thanks for your help!

Luba
May 31st, 2004, 03:16 PM
Some women even stand to pee

LMAO but not ME!!! :D

Chany
May 31st, 2004, 06:48 PM
hey Luba maybe check with your vet about doing dental with a spaying. Our vet in town refused to do a dental at the same time because of the chance of infection. :confused: Unless maybe Sadie is getting teeth pulled or something? My friend wanted a cleaning at the same time and it was no go.
Just in case :o