Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lions for Lambs movie

Hogansma
November 13th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Have any of you seen this one yet? I just saw it tonight and actually really enjoyed it except for a few things.

Does the US know that the Canada is actually at war in Afganistan????? Strange question but in this movie it sounds like the US is the only country fighting there. Okay, it's an American made film but lets at least get the facts straight. Our young Canadian men are coming home in coffins and not even a mention of us in this film. I'm soooo mad!!!!

If you haven't seen the movie, don't read this paragraph cause it may give a bit away. Is there is a sequencing problem or is it just me? Okay, the Redford character makes a statement about the picture on the wall and the fate of the men in it. Then later (hours or days?) the young college kid is watching the news and sees something has happened in Afganistan. So, how did the Redford character know about it??? Am I missing something here?

Actually enjoyed the film and thought it should get a higher rating than the 2.5 stars the local paper gave it.

CearaQC
November 13th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Wanted to comment...

Sounds like a great movie, but what you said doesn't surprise me.

Since 'tis the season of Remembrance Day and Veterans' Day, on Turner Classic Movie channel they have been showing war movie after war movie after war movie. I love that channel. No commercials during movies, and lots of old movies. Our favorite actor is Gary Cooper. He was sooo handsome!

And every single one of them show US forces being the "good guys" and winning the big battle for justice and peace. *yawn*

Hubby is a big war movie fan and I've been watching many of them over the past few years. His grandpa was in the Black Watch, so he likes seeing movies about that too.

It's all propaganda to make the masses feel their country is doing the right thing and everyone else doesn't deserve attention.

The fiction films do a better job at telling the truth. You can watch a few of them on Google free streaming video.

There's "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" with James Stewart - shows government corruption
Sergeant York with Gary Cooper - about a man with a conscience who doesn't want to kill
Meet John Doe with Gary Cooper - ordinary Joe who was used by the media for their own gain
Orwell's 1984
Most of Frank Capra's (director) movies
The Fountainhead with Gary Cooper - an Ayn Rand story, Cooper plays an architect who has to deal with mass media, plus arguments of Individualism vs. Collectivism

Sorry.. lol Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Hogansma
November 13th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I'll take a look at those movies. Thanks. I was just really worked up last night cause the movie didn't even acknowledge that there are any other countries involved in the war in Afganistan. I'm feeling better now that I vented. You'd think they would at least give Canada a one-liner so we would feel recognized for our efforts there (whether we believe in the war or not.) Oh well, I'll go have a chocolate bar and see what is on the telly. Chocolate is the answer to all my problems. :laughing: