Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm so disappointed

Frenchy
November 12th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Nelly is crated while I'm at work and I absolutly hate it. She has destroyed so many blanckets that I can't leave anything in it. But I noticed the bottom has started to crack. Last week , I put a blanckie and she left it alone. This week end I put a doggie bed in it for Rottielover's Harley , while he was having a peanut butter Kong break :D , I decided to leave it in there (the bed , not Harley :laughing:) it looked so much more comfy. But I came home to this , there's not much lighting , but I think you guys will get the "picture" :sad:

coppperbelle
November 12th, 2007, 09:09 PM
My old girl Belle did that when she was young. She would have a bed for months and then all of a sudden she would destroy it. I read that cedar chips would deter them from chewing up their beds and tried it. She never chewed up another bed again. It smells good too.

wdawson
November 12th, 2007, 09:11 PM
ah frenchy.....can you make a wood insert and cover it with cheap carpet

Rottielover
November 12th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I am so sorry Frenchy. At least it was not my boy, I don't feel as bad. But some dogs have separation anxiety that will never go away completely. Some dogs will chew all their lives....

JanM
November 12th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I'm sorry "little" Nelly is so destructive - it's a hard one to handle - you feel so bad for what the dog is going through, yet the damage gets to be pretty darn expensive too.

I have no suggestions but I do feel for both of you!

Frenchy
November 12th, 2007, 09:15 PM
. I read that cedar chips would deter them from chewing up their beds and tried it. She never chewed up another bed again. It smells good too.

It had some , believe me , I had to vacuum ! :o

ah frenchy.....can you make a wood insert and cover it with cheap carpet

hummm , that's a good idea .....

Some dogs will chew all their lives....

nooooooooooo :cry:

wdawson
November 12th, 2007, 09:22 PM
even ask a flooring store for scrap carpet

Winston
November 12th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Frenchy! when I used to crate Winston I would feel bad and put blankets in and carpet and beds, but he always chewed them up! Now that he is older he doesnt do that anymore! It took until he was about 4 years old to stop...You just cant leave anything in there until Nelly mellows out! Its frustrating cause you think they would get how much more comfy it would be!! Silly dogs!

Cindy

hazelrunpack
November 13th, 2007, 12:30 AM
You'll even have to be very careful with the carpet over wood--if she gets an end loose and eats the carpet, it can be very dangerous. :eek: I've known people whose dogs have gotten some nasty bowel obstructions from ingesting carpet! :sad:

clm
November 13th, 2007, 07:26 AM
I've known people whose dogs have gotten some nasty bowel obstructions from ingesting carpet! :sad:

Me too....lady I used to work with, her dobie ate a rather expensive small persian rug.....very ill dog had to have an expensive operation to remove it. She got through the operation fine and wasn't given the opportunity to eat anymore rugs.

Cindy

Frenchy
November 13th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I am very lucky with Nelly , she never ever ate anything that she destroyed (and believe me , that's a LOT of destruction) :cry:

Ford Girl
November 13th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Voo Doo does this too, but Dazy's doesn't. It's hard wheny ou want them to be comnfortable but they destroy everything you put in the crate with them. It is anxiety or she's just a destroyer?

Dracko
November 13th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I remember when Dracko was younger he went through about 3 or 4 beds and then finally stopped destroying them.

Frenchy
November 13th, 2007, 03:12 PM
It is anxiety or she's just a destroyer?

Anxiety , when I'm home , that's Nelly = :angel: :angel2:

When I'm at work , this is Nelly = :evil: :mwaha: and then I come home from work and she's all = :whistle:

:laughing: I love her ! :lovestruck:

CyberKitten
November 13th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I have never crated- partly my age, lol - but never had problems either even when my dogs were puppies. I wish I could tell you there is some great secret but I cannot think of any. Good training which I am sure you do. But just keeping them busy all day - we always had a sitter I think even if it was grandma, lol (I know I did as an adult or I took my dog to work, to the office!!)

So sorry your dog is so destructive - some dogs are just like that. Like labs left in an SUV with a kleenex box, lol (THAT was fun, NOT)

Good luck - wish I had constructive tips for you but I know little about crating. Am not opposed to it- just not really knowledgeable about it. My brother's lab loved his crate - he's sometimes sleep there even when people were home tho mostly, he - i(I sometimes think labs are the meezers of the dog world, they have to be on top of you - if there is a small space , they have to share it with you, lol, Or if you are sleeping in a single bed for some reason, they share that too, lol)

Good luck!!!!

jaclmickles
November 15th, 2007, 01:06 AM
When we bought our kennel we were told that it helps to put a piece of wood under the tray to keep it from cracking. Athos has destroyed some things, from a cedar filled bed, to various blankets, to a toddler mattress. It only happens when we're gone for extremely long periods of time, such as when we have someone else watching him here while we're out of town. He doesn't like to be alone. We did have a piece of carpet in there recently, until our new dog peed on it. I'm looking for a new matress to retry that. Athos really liked how comfortable that was.
I think a piece of wood under the tray, between the tray and wire would help prevent cracking. The cracking is caused by the weight in the tray pushing against the wires.

Good luck.