Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our dog personality has changed

Diane McCoy
November 11th, 2007, 08:47 PM
:confused:We had 2 dogs, a 13 year old Boykin Spaniel and a 6 year old Jack Russell Terrier. About 2 months ago we had to make the decision and put our 13 year old to sleep. The Jack Russell has never been the same. He is peeing and pooping all over the house and now starting biting us. We are very sad because we can't understand what to do. The 2 dogs we very close and we assumed that the Jack was mourning or lonely. We are at the end of the rope and need help. The kids were very upset to lose one dog and now we may lose the other because I will not put up with this behaviour. Any body with suggestions PLEASE HELP.

Shaykeija
November 12th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I think he may be lonely. Dogs grieve also and perhaps this is just his way of working it out. :shrug: Poor baby

growler~GateKeeper
November 12th, 2007, 03:39 AM
First off have you taken him to the vet to rule out medical issues? He should have full blood panel done as well as urinalysis & a fecal sample analysized to rule out everything from disease to parasites.

I also think your dog is still grieving, the same with people it takes varying amounts of time for everyone to come to terms with death.

You also should go back to the basic puppy housetraining to help remind your dog where it is appropriate to go. Sometimes it is as simple as reinforcing previous training.

As for the biting when is this happening? is it when you touch him in a certain spot/when you leave the house etc If medical concerns have been ruled out it is behavioural, a good start would be to go back to basic obedience or call a behaviourist to consult with you about this particular problem in relation to the death of your other dog.

Good luck with the vet visit, let us know how it goes :) Welcome to pets.ca

Diane McCoy
November 12th, 2007, 08:05 AM
The Jack Russell (Cricket) using bites us when we have found the accident. We will call me over show him the mess and tell him to go to his cage. Cricket his starts barking and going nuts. If you bend over to close the cage that is when he bites.

Writing4Fun
November 12th, 2007, 08:17 AM
My past experience is that showing a dog the mess after the deed has been done and punishing him for it afterwards does not teach the dog what he did wrong. Dogs don't remember and reason the way we do. He's not thinking, "Oh, right! I remember that! I bet that's what she's ticked off about. I'd better not do it again." More than likely, he's thinking, "Uh, oh. She's ticked off. I have no idea at what. But I'm really upset because my buddy is gone, and/or I'm not feeling well right now, and I'm not in any mood to put up with this attitude."

I agree with the others that he's probably still mourning, but you should definitely take him to the vet to rule out any physical issues. Once he's been given a clean bill of physical health, you can start working on his mental health. I also agree with growler's suggestion to start at the beginning, as if you're training a new puppy. He'll come around, but he needs patience right now. :angel:

Good luck! :fingerscr

Diane McCoy
November 12th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I spoke with a dog trainer and she advised me that she thinks that Cricket was never trained. He used to obey the pecking order of the older dog and go out to the bathroom. Reilly kept him in order. Now that Reilly :rip:is gone he does not know where he stands. My husband wanted Cricket gone!!! We have decided to start from scratch witht he bathroom duties and Cricket is signed up for dog obediences lessons starting in 2 weeks. Wish us luck:fingerscr

Isolde
November 12th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I had 2 dogs and one died:sad:. My other dog was very sad so we decided to get another spaniel. He is much better now but the new guy is driving the older dog a little crazy :evil:

Diane McCoy
November 12th, 2007, 09:16 AM
yes the Jack drove our Spaniel nuts also.:pawprint:

Winston
November 12th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Diane MCoy Welcome to pets.ca! Would love to see some pictures of Cricket! Your off tp the right start with the back to basics rule...although sometimes its hard to imagine having to do it it will work out! and for the obediance classes!! :thumbs up for me it was the best money I have ever spent.....although my boy is sometimes slow on recall he is a wonderful dog because we put so much into it!

Have fun in class ! that is important too! Will you be the handler for the class? If he respects your hubby more than you than I would suggest you do it..if not vice versa..

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
November 12th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I spoke with a dog trainer and she advised me that she thinks that Cricket was never trained. He used to obey the pecking order of the older dog and go out to the bathroom. Reilly kept him in order. Now that Reilly :rip:is gone he does not know where he stands. My husband wanted Cricket gone!!! We have decided to start from scratch witht he bathroom duties and Cricket is signed up for dog obediences lessons starting in 2 weeks. Wish us luck:fingerscr

:thumbs up glad to hear it :fingerscr good luck & keep us updated on Cricket's progress :goodvibes:

OC_Spirit
November 13th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Just wanted to point out, showing the dog his "mess" and punishing hom for it never achieves anything but disaster (in this case, him biting you!). Dogs just dont understand it and dont connect that you are correcting them for having an accident in the house. What they understand is you correcting them for coming over to you when you called them. Please stop confusing your dog! People make this mistake a lot and then start wondering why the dog stops coming when they call them...

Diane McCoy
November 13th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Can I make myself clear. Cricket bites us when we tell him to go to his cage. Then we go to close the cage and this is when it happens. I am not hitting him or yelling at him. I do not believe that discipline.

hdme
November 13th, 2007, 01:10 PM

I was going to suggest calling your local shelter to talk with a trainer. We've done this in the past and they have been so helpful and offered their advice free of charge. I hope Cricket heals and finds comfort from obedience classes.