Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help with outside dog!

copiecarrots
November 11th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I found a dog when I was riding my bike one day. He was almost starving but still SO SWEET!, so I had to bring him home. Apparently he's still a puppy (a BIG one!) and he chews on everything! He chewed plastic license plates off my cousins car and my Gramma's. He has ripped countless newspapers to shreds (he gets them OUT of the paper box!) He finds old sheets and blankets we have had in our garage for years and pulls them out to chew on them. If we put them up, he drags them out again. I have no idea what to do to get him to stop chewing. I have read other posts for inside dogs, but what to do about outside dogs? I bought him this HUGE beef bone from Wal Mart in hopes that he would chew on that instead of everything else, but I think he got tired of it after the night I brought it home.
Can someone give me advice on what to do to curb his appetite? Nothing is safe from his chewy appetite!
Mary C.

white wrabbit
November 11th, 2007, 09:02 PM
by the sounds of it he is bored.. he is not beaning stimulated enough.. but it also sounds like where he living is not puppy proofed either... beaning able to get in to so much stuff.. how much exercise is he getting? do you have lots of dog toys for him to play with?

Kong with peanut butter in it or some thing that tastes good to him might help will keep his mouth busy trying to get that out.. and should tire out the mouth...

Writing4Fun
November 12th, 2007, 07:32 AM
I agree. He sounds bored. Obedience classes are a must. They will show you how to teach him things like "leave it" as well as the usual "heel", "come", "sit", "stay". Once he has the basic obedience down, you can try doggie games like agility or flyball or even dancing. He sounds like he needs something to do, a job, not just a bone to chew on. These types of activities will stimulate him mentally as well as physically.

If I may ask, why is he an outside dog? Is it because of all the chewing? If you work on that, maybe you can start bringing him inside. You'd be surprised how unsafe being strictly outside can be for a dog, no matter how secure your yard is. ;)

joeysmama
November 12th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Puppies are babies. They're baby dogs. :stork-baby: They shouldn't live outside and shouldn't be outside unattended either. Is there a reason why he can't live indoors with you?

I love that you brought him home. You probably saved his life if he was starving. If he can't live with you in the house maybe you can contact someone who can help you find a family that can keep him indoors. It would be so hard for you to give him up I know. But maybe it would be better for him to be inside? He would be safer and happier.

copiecarrots
November 12th, 2007, 04:59 PM
He's not an inside dog because he's huge. We think he's a golden retriever/boxer mix (we really have no idea). He's a big dog, we have 3 tiny dogs that are inside dogs and we have a medium sized house. As it is the little dogs can't go outside when he's in the back yard because he hurts them when he tries to play with them. I have been thinking about putting ads in the paper to see if someone else can take him. Well, technically I've only been thinking about that since last night. Anyway, we live out in the country and I was hoping that having a big yard would satisfy him. Apparently that's not the case. I don't know how long he "lived on the streets" before I found him but he seems to like being outside (although occasionally he does try to come inside). I guess I'll just put an ad to see if anyone wants him. I'd love to keep him but there's no way. I am a full time student, I work, I have guard drill... I don't have the time to spend with him that he needs and when I put my mini dachshund outside to play with him, they usually end up hanging out on opposite sides of the yard. My little dog is the only one young enough and semi tough enough to play with the big dog.
Anyway, well, thanks for your suggestions and I guess I'll let ya know when I find a home for him.
Mary C.

rainbow
November 12th, 2007, 05:56 PM
It sounds like you are just going to give him away to the first person that answers your ad. Do you have a rescue nearby that will take him or a NO KILL shelter? They will know how to rehome him with an appropriate family. :pawprint:

Writing4Fun
November 13th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I agree with rainbow. Please contact local no-kill shelters. Putting an ad in the paper is very dangerous. Especially if he hasn't been neutered yet. That's where the people who sell dogs to laboratories or run puppy mills shop for their next victims. Not to mention the fact that he has no training to speak of right now, doesn't appear to be well socialized, and isn't used to living in a home. You have no way of knowing how the next person will deal with his issues. You could very well be handing him into an abusive situation. Breed-specific rescues would be good too. Do a google search in your area, or check out petfinder.com ... you'd be surprised how many you'll find.

jaclmickles
November 14th, 2007, 11:49 PM
He's not an inside dog because he's huge. We think he's a golden retriever/boxer mix .

Not to sound as if I'm critizing your choice, but we have two Great Danes in our house, which is too small with or without the dogs. There are times when it feels like we can't move around in here, but we manage.
I understand why you might want to find the dog another home, but I have to agree with the others about finding somewhere that will adopt it out to people who have been screened and with some guidelines for ownership. There are other threads on this forum that goes into the reasons why this is a better choice for finding a home. Atleast charge an adoption fee, have an application, and have the new owner sign an adoption agreement. There are web-sites that have these forms to download and use. I have enclosed a couple of examples you can use, changing whatever you need to change, if you'd like.
Good luck.