Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog boots for a Pitbull

JuliaGoolia
November 10th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I am trying to purchase dog boots for my pit-bull. I purchased a pair of Casual Canine boots last year and they worked ok, but they did last long and they would get really wet. I ordered her a pair of the Neo Paw neoprene dog boot this month and they are horrible. They really bother her dew Claw. Does anyone have any recommendation I would really appreciate it.

Thank You

I am not sure if i posted this in the correct area

Luba
November 11th, 2007, 12:25 AM
http://www.muttluks.com/

Know lots of people who've used them for years and they've been around a long time.

Lissa
November 11th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Neo-paws are/were my favorite - I have 2 sets of winter boots and 1 set of the performance/lighter weather boots. They're the only boots that keep Dodger's feet dry and salt free in the winter... You may want to try wrapping your dog's paw with vet wrap and then putting the booties on if the dew claw is your only issue (because no other boot is as waterproof).

I had a pair of winter and all-weather Muttluks for Dodger but neither were water or salt proof. The cuffs fill with snow, lose their elasticity and fly off (so you can only use them when walking on packed snow or sidewalks - but they still get soaked and salty)... The winter one's lasted half a season, the wear and tear was obvious after the first use! If neo-paws bother your dog's dew claw, so will Muttluks as the stitching from the boot to the cuff is right around that area.

If you don't mind the cost, I'd go with ruff wear booties - you won't have dew claw issues and they will never fly off your dog's paws. But they aren't waterproof (although I don't have the liners so they may actually be waterproof with them)... http://www.ruffwear.com/grip_trex_dog_boots?sc=2&category=11

If you want to try something less expensive, go to dog sledding sites... They use polar fleece booties that are a fraction of the cost and stand up quite well to the elements. They are not waterproof but when I put 2 on at a time they were:D!

pitgrrl
November 11th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I really like Muttluks, they lasted about 2 and a half years before I had to replace them.

I did have a problem with dewclaws aswell. The solution I found was to get one set in a size up and one in the regular size and use the bigger one's on the front paws and the smaller on the back. This only works, ofcourse, because I have 2 dogs and needed to buy 2 sets anyways :laughing:

JuliaGoolia
November 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I really like Muttluks, they lasted about 2 and a half years before I had to replace them.

I did have a problem with dewclaws aswell. The solution I found was to get one set in a size up and one in the regular size and use the bigger one's on the front paws and the smaller on the back. This only works, ofcourse, because I have 2 dogs and needed to buy 2 sets anyways :laughing:

Do you have a pitbull? What size did you buy in the mutluks?

Thank for the reply

JuliaGoolia
November 11th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Neo-paws are/were my favorite - I have 2 sets of winter boots and 1 set of the performance/lighter weather boots. They're the only boots that keep Dodger's feet dry and salt free in the winter... You may want to try wrapping your dog's paw with vet wrap and then putting the booties on if the dew claw is your only issue (because no other boot is as waterproof).

I had a pair of winter and all-weather Muttluks for Dodger but neither were water or salt proof. The cuffs fill with snow, lose their elasticity and fly off (so you can only use them when walking on packed snow or sidewalks - but they still get soaked and salty)... The winter one's lasted half a season, the wear and tear was obvious after the first use! If neo-paws bother your dog's dew claw, so will Muttluks as the stitching from the boot to the cuff is right around that area.

If you don't mind the cost, I'd go with ruff wear booties - you won't have dew claw issues and they will never fly off your dog's paws. But they aren't waterproof (although I don't have the liners so they may actually be waterproof with them)... http://www.ruffwear.com/grip_trex_dog_boots?sc=2&category=11

If you want to try something less expensive, go to dog sledding sites... They use polar fleece booties that are a fraction of the cost and stand up quite well to the elements. They are not waterproof but when I put 2 on at a time they were:D!

I did try the ruffwaer boots on a couple of days ago and they are so low that they wrap around her dew claw.

I am not sure if the problem with the neo paw boots is maybe there are to small?? I will try them one more time.

Thanks for the reply