Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mix, Switch Back And Forth?

Mia101
November 10th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I chose Canidae for the dog, and By Nature Organics for the cat.

However, Nutro has free bags right now, and it's a decent food, so I'm going to feed that until I am out of coupons,,,,,,,,,

Is it better to feed them half and half, or just feed Nutro until the promotion is over and then go to the other foods?

If the answer is the latter, what do I do with the bag of cat food I have? Mix it, or have her eat BNO until it's gone, then Nutro for the next year, then back to BNO?

:shrug:

mummummum
November 10th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Not my first choice foods. Why don't you have a look at our food forum?

Mia101
November 10th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I have, and I've never seen anything against Canidae.

I have not been in a discussion about By Nature Organics, but it looks like a pretty good food for cats.

luckypenny
November 10th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I think it's some of the ingredients in the Nutro brand that are questionable. Which product in particular do you have the coupons for?

Mia101
November 11th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Ultra for dogs and Natural Choice for cats. That is the highest for each.

I know this is not the best food. But it's not so bad not to feed free!

I just want to know if it's better to give half Nutro and half of the better brands, or just feed Nutro until it's gone and then go back.

It will be about a year on the Nutro. At least for the cat, the bags last a long time. The dog a few months at least.

Right now the cat is eating a 50/50 mix, and there is 2 months worth of mix left. Maybe more because I'm also trying to limit the dry, this might last forever.

The dog is eating one cup of Canidae, and 1/2 cup of Nutro per day.

growler~GateKeeper
November 11th, 2007, 02:56 AM
I think it would be better to mix - that way they're getting some of the better nutriential value & less chance for an upset tummy when you switch back again :shrug: just my :2cents:

rainbow
November 11th, 2007, 03:07 AM
I would just feed the Canidae (or other premium/holistic brand) and give your coupons to your local shelter/SPCA. :pawprint:

growler~GateKeeper
November 11th, 2007, 03:09 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/signs1/17.gif definately would be ideal :D

sugarcatmom
November 11th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I'm also not a fan of those gynormous bags of kibble, they have big potential to go rancid. You really shouldn't buy more than can be used in a few months at most, and even then make sure to check the expiry dates. Some of that stuff sits in warehouses and on shelves for ages under who knows what kind of conditions.

Mia101
November 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I don't purchase large bags. These are 5 pound bags, they go quickly for the dog. It takes the cat forever to get through a bag no matter how small, so I keep the food in an air-tight container.

What I have heard said against mixing or giving half and half, is that each food has a formulation of vitamins, and it messes that up.

I tend to think like one poster said - doing 2/3 good food and 1/3 lesser food is like me eating mostly good food, and a bit off a lesser meal part of the time. But I'm relating it to human food which isn't the same thing.

Y'all, please don't act like Nutro is so bad it should be thrown away. That's ridiculous. I know it's not the best food, but it's far above grocery foods, and not a bad one at all.

They would probably be just fine if I left them on it forever. You can't help people with food questions if everything but super-premium is called crap.

Mia101
November 11th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Nutro,,,,remember there are three levels. I wuldn't feed Max or Natural Choice, but the Ultra is good, rated 4 stars by the site that gives Canidae 5 and Innova 6. I think any food 4 star and up is fine, in fact I've seen some 3 star foods I think are good.

This is the Ultra I'm feeding the dog, and actually, she likes it better and has better stool on it than Canidae. I don't purchase it regularly because to me the ingredients are a little inferior to Canidae, yet it costs more.

Nutro Ultra Adult Dog Formula:

Ingredient list:
Chicken Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Ground Rice, Lamb Meal, Rice Bran, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Salmon Meal, Flaxseed, Natural Flavors, Oatmeal, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Tomato Pomace, Cranberry Powder, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Dried Egg Product, L-Lysine, Dried Kelp Meal, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Extract, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Biotin, L-Carnitine, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Niacin, Garlic, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Beta-Carotene, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid.

I highlighted the things I don't like in red. Not enough to make it a 'bad' food, though.

Canidae All Life Stages:

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Not being an expert, but armed with a bit of study, this food seems superior. However, it has had much less research behind it than Nutro. Brown Rice,,,,it doesn't say that's whole, could be a lesser grain. White Rice, I like this food but I'm not sure how it gets rated a 5 with this much rice in general, especially white, which is not a top ingredient.

Mia101
November 11th, 2007, 04:54 PM
For the cat, I tried feeding her just BNO, and she will not eat it. From the premium brands, this is the first one that she doesn't avoid completely if mixed, and doesn't get left in the bottom of the bowl.

Felidae and one other that I tried, she will simply not eat until I put something else.

At least this way, she is getting half of a premium. She will eat this if mixed with Nutro. It may be a moot point as to what to do with her given this. It's either all mid-grade, or half and half.

Some would say all mid-grade is better because her diet is consistent and the vitamin/mineral mix is consistent.

Others would say getting half premium in her is better. I'm looking for information behind those opinions to make an informed decision.

She is 15, and I'd like to see 25 :thumbs up.

We're not doing too well on wet. :mad: I'll start a different thread on that.

sugarcatmom
November 11th, 2007, 06:39 PM
What I have heard said against mixing or giving half and half, is that each food has a formulation of vitamins, and it messes that up.

Naaa, I don't buy that. I actually think having variety ensures a better balance of vitamins than sticking to the same food all the time. It was probably a pet food company that came up with that rule in an attempt to keep customers "loyal" to their product. They used to say that it would make cats finicky if you changed or mixed brands but I think cats get finicky if you don't: they can get so adapted to one particular flavour or texture that it takes more effort to convince them something new is also actually food.

mika140
November 11th, 2007, 09:50 PM
The menadione in Nutro is also concerning to some. That would concern me more than the other ingredients you highlighted.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione

Otherwise, the Nutro isn't too bad.....I would just have a hard time switching to something that I thought was lower quality, even if slightly lower.....but I do understand the cost issue too.

Mia101
November 11th, 2007, 11:33 PM
If I'm to afford vet bills, monthly heartworm, flea and tick prevention, etc, I can't pass up a 4 star food that is free.

It's not like I'm feeding something from the grocery store.

I really am only asking about mixing, not opinions on Nutro.