Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

*sigh* Good news and bad news

ancientgirl
November 10th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Well, the bad news is I took the Fantastic Four to the vet and they all had worms. Bah! They all wound up having to get a shot.

The good news however, is Maks doesn't have any outward signs of Scabies so the chances are very good that the others won't get anything from him, and I can bathe him tomorrow and get that smell off of him.

The mini-dynamic duo have gained 2 pound since I first got them two weeks ago, so they are a little over 3 pounds each. Oksana has also gained a pound since last week and Vlad is nearing 11 pounds.

I have to say, I'm relieved with Oksana. She's so picky, I'll put something out for her and she'll take a few bites then walk away. I know she picks at her food during the day and evening, but I always worry she's just not eating enough.

Well, I'd say she's doing well if she's gained a pound in a week!

They all did well, Vlad of course is building up quite a little reputation for himself at the''''' vet's office. The vet and the tech said he was quite a handful today.

I'm happy that they have all at least had a shot and will be free from the worms, and now I just have to only deal with the vaccinations for Kiska and Maks, and their S&N in a couple of months and we'll all be good to go.

Everybody is asleep except Kiska, but she's going to konk out any second.

Boy, its not easy taking four kitties to the vets office.

Hopefully I can get a picture of all four of them in the same shot this weekend. They all wound up in my bed last night, so I know that both Kiska and Maks are more comfortable here, and that Vlad and Oksana have accepted them. I think I need to really think about getting a bigger bed next year. LOL, Vlad and Oksana are nearly fully grown, and in a few months so will Kiska and Maks. My Full bed, is going to really be FULL.

rjesak
November 10th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I miss having tiny little kittens but they never seem to stay that way!!

It's terrible (not surprising after the big hiest) that they all had worms but at least worms are fixable! And, they all got along - or, well, they apparently all got along!! :laughing:

I love the spelling of Maks, BTW. I'd only ever seen it spelled with an X and I like your way better!!! :)

Winston
November 10th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Hey Ancientgirl! I would say that is more good news than bad! and nice to hear they are all getting along really good.....When I first got my 2 kitties 11 years ago they had a tapeworm and that was a needle and thats it...but I am wondering how did all 4 get worms? you have had Vlad and Oksana for awhile now right? I dont know much about them though?? Oh I bet you cant wait to give Maks a bath to get the smell off! Glad to hear everyone is happy! :thumbs up

Cindy

ancientgirl
November 10th, 2007, 10:41 AM
I miss having tiny little kittens but they never seem to stay that way!!

It's terrible (not surprising after the big hiest) that they all had worms but at least worms are fixable! And, they all got along - or, well, they apparently all got along!! :laughing:

I love the spelling of Maks, BTW. I'd only ever seen it spelled with an X and I like your way better!!! :)

Yes, I hate that they had to go through being tested and get a shot, but worms is a fixable problem, and to a certain degree preventable.

Maks is the Russian form of Max(imillian) I love that its spelled that way too. I've named all of my kitties the names I've always loved and the names I'd have named kids if I ever had them.

krdahmer
November 10th, 2007, 10:41 AM
I'm glad Maks will soon be smelling better, and that although they have worms they are all beefing up and happy! (And I would say that's all good news, at least you know they have the worms and if they are all treated already....well thats a good thing right!) I hear ya about carting the whole crew to the vets at once, I've only done it once with my six, and I had to have my dad come along and we took his mini van to fit all the carriers! And after that trip, I have decided to make two seperate trips next year for the shots,etc. There was so much mournful meowing from the back of the van I just wanted to cry!

I am so happy all of them are getting along! And I can't wait to see if you can get a picture of the whole crew.... what worked for me was string on a stick and treats (the two things that can bring them all together here!). Of course I had to get hubby to snap the shot.:rolleyes:

ancientgirl
November 10th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Hey Ancientgirl! I would say that is more good news than bad! and nice to hear they are all getting along really good.....When I first got my 2 kitties 11 years ago they had a tapeworm and that was a needle and thats it...but I am wondering how did all 4 get worms? you have had Vlad and Oksana for awhile now right? I dont know much about them though?? Oh I bet you cant wait to give Maks a bath to get the smell off! Glad to hear everyone is happy! :thumbs up

Cindy

Yes true, more good news than bad actually.

Well, aparently, Kiska had worms too, but wasn't getting treated like Maks. Maks had roundworm and hookworm, so I'm now thinking it was probaby Kiska that gave Vlad and Oksana the worms. They've been using the same litter box for almost 2 weeks, and they've been running around together for at least that long.

LOL, so it looks like I might have given Maks a bad rap. It's probably Kiska that infected the other two.

The good thing is they are all good and healthy and they are all getting along very well. I thought it would take longer for them to all get used to each other but its really happened quite fast.

ancientgirl
November 10th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I'm glad Maks will soon be smelling better, and that although they have worms they are all beefing up and happy! (And I would say that's all good news, at least you know they have the worms and if they are all treated already....well thats a good thing right!) I hear ya about carting the whole crew to the vets at once, I've only done it once with my six, and I had to have my dad come along and we took his mini van to fit all the carriers! And after that trip, I have decided to make two seperate trips next year for the shots,etc. There was so much mournful meowing from the back of the van I just wanted to cry!

I am so happy all of them are getting along! And I can't wait to see if you can get a picture of the whole crew.... what worked for me was string on a stick and treats (the two things that can bring them all together here!). Of course I had to get hubby to snap the shot.:rolleyes:

OMG, I can't tell you how badly I want to give the little guy a bath. My allergies have been acting up too. I think that even though the pills are helping, my body needs to get used to 4 cats. So I'll be giving Vlad and Oksana their monthly bath too. Kiska had one last week, so she's good.

When I was taking just Vlad and Oksana, and they were both still small, I could just take them in the same carrier. Only recently did I get Vlad a separate carrier, it looks like a duffle bag, but it was still not too bad.

Now I'll do the same with Kiska and Maks, just use the same carrier until they get bigger. But for future shots, they will go two and two.

Vlad and Oksana always got theirs at the same time, so next year they are due at the same time. Kiska and Maks will be the same way.

I can't even imagine taking 6. LOL, I drive an Eclipse! There's not much more room for more cats in my car.

krdahmer
November 10th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Are they giving them shots for the roundworm and hookworm? I've never heard of that, and I've always used revolution for those. Was it a really bad case of worms?

ancientgirl
November 10th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I think she told me roundworm. It was all kind of a blur to me. When they tested their stool and all of them came back with worms I went limp, because I knew they'd all have to get shots and it would all $$.

And I also questioned her about the Revolution, because I use that to prevent them getting worms! She told me that Revolution is what she used on her cat too, but hers also had an episode where she got them too.

It may be my fault. I give Vlad and Oksana theirs monthly, and I hadn't noticed that I hadn't given them their treatment until a few days after I had Kiska home. They could have been susceptible at that time. When Oksana had parasites in her tummy, I also questioned it because of the Revolution, but the vet told me living in Florida, there is stuff that these things can't kill.

I don't know if I should just switch to something else now or keep using the Revolution.

krdahmer
November 10th, 2007, 11:18 AM
:shrug: & :eek: a little scary that there are things it can't kill down there. One of the few reasons I do enjoy our winter... it kills all the outdoor bugs and icky critters.

I've always trusted the revolution cause it tackles the fleas, worms and heartworm. I like a multi-tasker and that it saves money too.

ancientgirl
November 10th, 2007, 12:32 PM
It's scary. When they found the parasites in Oksana's tummy, the vet told me, this was a new vet at the office, that she'd just moved from Colorado. She said that she was amazed at how different things were here. She gets animals with all sorts of stuff, and she said it was probably due to the warm weather here.

All the more reason to keep them inside. Who knows what they'd get if they were outdoor cats too! As it is, when mosquito season is in full swing, I make sure I'm in and out fast, so that none of those nasties get into my apartment and get to my sweeties.

At least they're all okay, and I'll have them on the same schedule for future applications of stuff. I'm going to read a bit more about the Revolution and Advantage, and see which one does the most.

krdahmer
November 10th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I already have, and Revolution wins by a landslide, all the Advantage (well the regular advantage anyhow) takes care of is fleas and if I understood correctly the Revolution is safer for us too because it is not a pesticide like advantage. Advantage does however kill the adult fleas quicker and prevent them from biting in the first place. If you aren't concerned about flea attacks though and using it more preventatively, I like the revolution... safer and covers more worms and heartworm (which are really scary... I googled them:eek::yuck:)!:2cents:

And I like your new collage avatar... cute!

ancientgirl
November 10th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Oy, I didn't know Advantage had a pesticide in them! I'll stick with the Revolution. I do like the preventive aspect. I don't think I have to worry much about fleas with them. Since I do keep them indoors, but still I'd rather use this as precaution, for everything.

I'm going to order some online this week. That way I'll make sure I have some for next month.

luckypenny
November 10th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I'm glad they're all doing much better ancientgirl :thumbs up . I thought I'd let you know that Revolution doesn't protect against hookworm. I had been treating Lucky and Penny regularly with Revolution. They had come in to contact with puppies and soon after I suspected parasites. Brought a stool sample to the vet and was shocked to learn that they had hookworms. The vet tech pulled out a sort of graph and showed me what each preventative product worked for. Perhaps your vet could explain the differences to you as well so you can choose which you'll feel most comfortable with giving them.

ancientgirl
November 10th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Thank you for that suggestion. I have to take the Mini-Dynamic Duo to get their vaccinations next week, so I'll ask the vet what she thinks is the best to use considering the climate here as well as what prevents the most.

It just seems like none of them prevent everything. I'm guessing it's just not possible to make anything to prevent all kinds of worms and parasites. :shrug:

luckypenny
November 10th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Although I hate the idea of using any paraciticide, we do use Advantage Multi because our guys come in frequent contact with other rescued dogs. It seems to be the one that covers just about everything except tapeworm.

ancientgirl
November 10th, 2007, 05:39 PM
When I first started using Revolution, the vet told me that since I kept all of mine indoors, this was probably the best choice for me. I'm just so afraid of putting these things on them. I was putting it between the shoulder blades, like it says to do, but then the last time I saw Vlad bending his head so far back he was able to get to the section I'd put the stuff on!

He looked like Exorcist kitty. I never knew a cat could turn his head that far around. So next time I'll put it closer to the base of their head.

krdahmer
November 10th, 2007, 10:31 PM
That happened here once too, after I put it on I realized i hadn't got it just right on palomine and he was licking it. He foamed a bit at the mouth and was drooling a bit, but the vet said not to panick and it stopped after about 20 minutes.... scared the crap outta me though! Now I'm very careful to get it in just the right spot.

krdahmer
November 10th, 2007, 10:34 PM
And the revolution for cats does cover hookworm...

Q: What is Revolution® (selamectin)?

A: Revolution is the first-ever FDA-approved, topically applied medication for cats that:

Kills adult fleas (Ctenocephalides felis) and prevents flea eggs from hatching.
Prevents heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis.
Treats and controls ear mites (Otodectes cynotis).
Treats and controls roundworms (Toxocara cati) and hookworms (Ancylostoma tubaeforme).

Maybe it was just the dog version that doesn't?

ancientgirl
November 11th, 2007, 06:28 AM
That happened here once too, after I put it on I realized i hadn't got it just right on palomine and he was licking it. He foamed a bit at the mouth and was drooling a bit, but the vet said not to panick and it stopped after about 20 minutes.... scared the crap outta me though! Now I'm very careful to get it in just the right spot.

Yeah, when I noticed that he could reach the area, I read the instructions about what might happen if they injested it. It did mention they might get a little sick but that it was still safe to use.

Still, I had to watch him and make sure when he got close I stopped him from licking himself.

OMG, I'm sitting up in bed and I can hear them going nuts running around downastairs.:laughing:

chico2
November 11th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Interesting to read,I've always used Advantage,but only in the summer-months,next summer I'll use Revolution instead.
So sorry to hear they all have worms,hopefully they'll get killed off fast:pray:

ancientgirl
November 11th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Chico, the vet told me that shot would get rid of all kinds of worms, so they're nice and clean on the inside. So they are all starting with a clean slate and hopefully I won't have anymore issues with worms or parasites.

And I managed to give Maks a bath. I can still smell a lingering scent of the dip, but he smells a LOT better now. I have kitty wipes, so I think I'll just wipe him down with those for a few days to hopefully get all that dip smell off of him.