Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat tearing around while defecating

mikeshannon
November 10th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I have a two month old kitten who has been perfect untill tonight. She ran uncontrollably around the house while defecating. She has never eaten anything except iams kitten food and water. After I cleaned her and the house she started to scratch on the floor. I picked her up and took her to her litter box but she ran out and all around the house doing the same thing again. Has anybody else had a similar situation?

badger
November 10th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Sounds pretty funny if you didn't have to clean up after her :). My first thought - particularly since it happened twice - is that it's something physical. You need to take her to the vet. And when you do, put a piece of her stool in a clean container and take it with you so they can check for parasites, which are not unusual in kittens (sometimes they are infected by the mother). Has she ever been wormed? Vaccinated? if she hasn't seen the vet yet, this is the perfect time.
Keep returning her to the litter box, without scolding her. I guarantee she can't help it.

cwbtg
November 11th, 2007, 08:56 AM
You should definately get her checked out by the vet, but in the meantime close her in a room with a tile or linoleum floor (bathroom?) for easier cleanup.

sugarcatmom
November 11th, 2007, 11:32 AM
What is her poop like when she does this, is it diarrhea?

Sometimes my cat will get a cling-on (I call it "sausage-link" poo, where one link is connected with another that didn't come out yet by either grass or hair) that he tries to escape from by running around the house, but there's never much of a mess to clean up, which is why I'm asking about diarrhea. If it is diarrhea, definite vet visit is in order.

badger
November 11th, 2007, 12:33 PM
sugarcat mom, I think you're onto something (if it is not diarrhea). the fact that the OP hasn't come back makes me thing it was a one-off.

Element~5
November 12th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I would say for sure take your kitten to the vet if this continues. I'm wondering if you have changed her brand of cat litter at all? Sometimes kittens/cats will refuse to use their litter box if you have changed their brand of litter (picky little ones huh :P) Maybe the owner of her previously used a different brand then you are using and she doesn't like it, or is not use to it. Either way, I would check with your family vet just to be sure :D

Love4himies
November 13th, 2007, 09:05 AM
My himalayan sometimes gets "sticky poos" on her behind (her fur is so long) and she used to tear around the house hoping it will come off. Now she just comes up to us meows, and shows us her bum to clean:yuck:.

CyberKitten
November 13th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I too recommend taking her to the vet just to rule out anything medical and then working on and other issues.