Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poisonous?

shredy
November 9th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Hey guys, Chloe likes to eat EVRYTHING on the ground. She is never unsupervised, but I am now starting to wonder if I need to pull up the plants on my patio. I looked online and it says that Geraniums are poisonous to dogs (I have a large geranium plant in my backyard) , she has munched on a few leaves, but I always take them away before she can eat them. I will take that plant out, but am wondering about the plants I have that I don't know the names of... I have one succluent that grows tiny perfectly round balls on string-like vines, and lots of Jade, Jasmine and Rosmary. Should I worry about any of this stuff??? Thanks!

mummummum
November 9th, 2007, 06:34 PM
This is one of those all-round good resources on "all things toxic". You'll find plants in a right hand column. The only caveat I would add before you rip out your entire garden :rolleyes: is a reminder that it's sometimes all about amount ingested and the weight of the dog. .

mummummum
November 10th, 2007, 05:21 PM
OOoooops this: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_publications is one of those all-round good resources... :laughing: thanks for the pm Shredy!

Luba
November 10th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Have you taught off/leave it?

Supervise, use the command of off/leave it and if she doesn't listen a squirt of water from a water bottle and CHLOE OFF loudly.

Dogs rarely injest enough to be toxic, they more then likely puke it up first.
And sometimes they do this to cause vomiting because they feel sick. So maybe consider the dog's got an upset tummy from something nasty it's eating in the diet/snacks that doesn't agree with him/her.

IF Chloe is a puppy well it's probably just exploration but the leave it/off command is vital! Reward good behaviour remember :thumbs up

shredy
November 10th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys! I checked out the website and everything looks ok except my easter lilies which I just put out of her reach (in pots). She is a puppy still and likes to put everything in her mouth, so I am teaching her not too, but she does end up eating some stuff and I would feel terrible if I had something available that could potentially hurt her. Her training is going remarkably well though and after 1 week she is almost completely house trained. She scratches at the door to go out and I take her out about every hour or so and she squats (:D sometimes she squats but does not pee, she knows she will get a cookie :D, smart girl) I am having so much fun!