Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! My kitties suddenly hate each other!

rjesak
November 9th, 2007, 02:02 PM
So my six cats generally live in harmony and even love each other, but today a fight sprung out. I broke it up (with only minor damage to myself) and sequestered the three who are most upset (yowling, hissing, growling, and clawing at anything that comes within two feet) but I'm not sure what to do now. I have one in each bathroom and they still hiss and yowl whenever another cat gets by the door.

I've checked each of them over for damage and I'm not finding anything so I don't think anyone was seriously hurt, but now what? :confused:

Do I leave them in there? Do I let them out and let them work it out among themselves? :shrug:

By the way, OUCH!!!! I'm scratched up both arms and it hurst lots!!!

ancientgirl
November 9th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure what to tell you. Did you do anything differently to them? Perhaps bathe one or two with a different shampoo? Did you take one to the vet today?

I know last time I left my two at the vets office because I needed to be boarded overnight, when I brought them back home there was a lot of hissing. Their smells changed so it took a while to get them to recognize each other again.

rjesak
November 9th, 2007, 02:36 PM
That's a good point, ancientgirl. I'm used to this happening when I take them to the vet. This time, it was out of the blue though. We've just been sitting here all day and then, boom!

I went in to each bathroom and petted the kitty in there until they purred and stopped growling but as soon as I let these three out, it starts up again. I guess maybe I should just keep them seperate. I'm really worried about letting them out because they shredded me when I got in between them. I'm afraid they'll hurt one another!

ancientgirl
November 9th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Boy, that really is weird. Were you in the room when it happened? Did you notice anything out of the ordinary or them acting odder than normal before the fight started? Did someone take something that maybe didn't belong to them? I'd keep them apart for a bit until things cool down though. Like you said, no need you or them getting ripped to shreds.

rjesak
November 9th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately I wasn't in the room. I heard the yowling and went running. All six were in there glaring at each other. Three of them just seemed to be interested - the other three are VERY pissed off. I've no idea what might've happened!

Right now, they're each in their own little bathroom. I need to turn the faucets on so there's water but I don't have enough seperated litter boxes for each...

ancientgirl
November 9th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Maybe after a couple of hours you can start to let them out slowly. Hopefully they'll forget what the heck they were fighting about. Maybe they started off just playing and it just got rough.

I know sometimes Vlad will start to play with Oksana, or they'll be grooming each other, and he'll suddenly get rough and she'll start to yelp and hiss. I don't know why it happens. LOL, I equate it with a vampire pic I was watching once, when the vampire was kissing the girl then got carried away and she had to push him away before he bit her.

rjesak
November 9th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Eep! So cats = vampires... Ok, I can run with that!!! :-)

It must be something like that. I keep going in to each bathroom and petting the kitty in there. Eventually they start to purr - until the other kitties show up on the other side of the door. The three that were just watching are just really interested in all the drama!! :laughing:

Hopefully they'll calm down. In the meantime, I'm foraging for bottles of disinfectant and pain reliever - cat scratches hurt!!!

It is really odd. We're a big happy family and have been for years. I guess cats can have bad days too!

ancientgirl
November 9th, 2007, 03:08 PM
LOL, that's probably the most action those other three have seen in a while.

I have to have a tube of Aveeno around at all times. When I get even a small scratch it starts to itch like mad! I'm allergic to cats, but I take pills. But when I get a scratch it just itches, the Aveeno helps.

Maybe you can entice them or something. Have some special treats and give it to them together.

Heck, keeping more than 2 cats from each other is HARD!

rjesak
November 9th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I keep Neosporin in every room. I am fortunately not allergic (or so mildly so as to be negligible).

I think this is the first time I've ever been afraid of my cats. I went in to pet Zander and he started purring but another cat got near the door and he started hissing and blowing... Then he attacked me. I wasn't even petting him at the time because he was being so obviously aggressive but I think he's lost his calm completely!

Oscar is out of his bathroom. He seems to be fine now. I almost feel like he got hurt but there's nothing I can find. There's no blood, nothing seems to hurt him... I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

ancientgirl
November 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Sounds like Zander might be holding a grudge. All you can do I think is wait and just see how it goes. Hopefully things will be better this evening, or by tomorrow.

If he's hissing even at you, maybe he just needs to have some alone time. I wouldn't push it. Who knows what happened in their little kitty world. They'll have to sort it out.

rjesak
November 9th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Yup. I'm staying out of Zander's room! Oscar and Anya have both calmed down and are perfectly happy now. Zander's just going to have to cool his little kitty heels!!!

Thanks so much, Ancientgirl. I really appreciate the advice and the counsel. I worry about them like they're children!

ancientgirl
November 9th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I don't have much experience, but I can only give you what I've learned from my own kitties.

I think of them as my kids too, so I understand how you feel. :D

chico2
November 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM
With my cats,if they ever see a strange cat outside,they'll start howling and often end up in a fight.
It's never a wise idea to break up a catfight with your hands,have a water spraybottle near instead.
You say you've never been afraid of your cats,I have,my Rocky has attacked me 3 times over the years,not just scratches,I had severe cat-bites that got infected,needing lenghty care.
Rocky(otherwise a wonderful cat)gets so exited when a cat/dog is on his deck,I know the signs so I close the door where he is..but 3 times I did not make it:yell:
I would say a crazed cat is as dangerous as an angry dog.
Rocky started this when he was about 5yrs old,I have learned to try to stay calm and go outside and shooo any strange cat away,so far so good,but it is certainly scary and painful..
I was told by my doctor and others to have him put down,but that's not going to happen,I love him and he stays here.
He's 11 yrs old and other than these three incidents,he is the best cat.

ancientgirl
November 9th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Vlad will get very bitey sometimes. He'll stretch out for you to pet his tummy, but then with no warning he'll have enough and bite. When he does that I grab his head and hold his mouth closed and look at him and say no. I'll let go of him slowly then just walk away. This calms him down and he knows that when I say no biting he cools his paws. I'm still careful though. Them's sharp teeth!

rjesak
November 9th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Well, it looks like everyone's happy now. I still don't know what happened, but they're all out of confinement and not a growl or a hiss to be heard. :shrug:

It's a funny thing because my cats are normally very skittish so when I found them fighting, I threw a bottle of pills on the floor and it made a hell of a noise, but the kitties were so caught up, they hardly even took note.

But anyway, I let Zander out when he'd calmed down and he hid under the bed until he had calmed even more. Zander's a funny thing - he's very skittish but also can be very aggressive. Usually he's extremely sweet but when he feels threatened, he gets really evil. The time he caught a wasp that got into the house, I thought he'd gone demented! He's kind of a bear of very little brain so his reactions are pretty unqualified.

Thanks so much for the comfort though. I was really at a loss and worried about my babies! :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
November 9th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Oh I'm glad everything worked out and everyone is friends again.:D

krdahmer
November 9th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Wha? 6 cats and they have gotten along until now??? :eek: I'm impressed! I have fights and hissing and growling almost daily here with my 6.

It may have been a scent from outdoors or an animal near the house that set it off, or one could have got spooked and alarmed the others... those are the two most frequent causes here. I have found a few things that work, as sequestering them here does not. (actually makes them panick more because they can't see what is going on.)

Keep water bottles throughout the house, when they are getting too upset and hissing/growling/yowling as if to fight, spray all the involved parties (usually just one or two quick squirts and they will take off and cool down somewhere).... never ever bend over and give them access to your face/eyes when they are panicked and in alarm mode like that, it is very dangerous... (as you learned with your arms, very lucky!).

I really am flabbergasted that this is the first problem you have had!! I am constantly reaching for the water bottle here, as one or another is always irritating another.... and there are a couple outdoor roamers that spark some pretty good pseudo fights through the window... I learned the dont bend down leason that way, Palomine put both canines through my right hand, and once Buddy and him were wrestling and I took Buddy to clip claws, he was on edge and got mad and put both canines up my nose, and man did I bleed!

Mostly I wait a few minutes to see if it's a serious confrontation first, as most of them are just a little bit of hissing and a few right hooks to say 'get outta my face' or 'hey I was here first back off'. I only intervene if someone is getting too intense or if poor Smoke is getting really scared (the boys pick on her the most cause she puts on a real entertaining hissy growly show for them.:rolleyes:)

Oh and when it is Smoke (my smallest by a long shot) getting picked on and if she looks really upset, I will pick her up carry her away from the boys and snuggle and rock her until she starts to purr and feel better... :)

Don't worry, a few scraps are bound to happen in a multiple cat house... ;)

Dracko
November 9th, 2007, 09:06 PM
krdahmer, I have 5 cats and never had a fight with them. The only time there was anything at all was when I introduced a new one they would do the usual hissing if they got too close too soon. Otherwise, not an aggressive one in the bunch.

rjesak
November 10th, 2007, 07:50 AM
The same with me Dracko. The only problems we've ever had are when new cats were introduced. They've gotten spooked at something outside and hissed and growled but I've never seen them fight with each other. Sometimes they'll be playing and something will get out of hand but usually there's one hiss and one backs off. I think that's why it frightened me so much. I've had two of the cats for six years and all four for five years and I've never seen them like that.

The only exception is the time Zander caught a wasp in my great room. It got in through the fireplace and I was just wondering where all the cats were when I heard the scream. I ran in and found Zander attacking, well, everything. The couch, any cat interested (and brave) enough to get near him... But he was pretty pleased to take off and growl under the bed for a few minutes. Once he calmed down, I checked out the sting (inside his mouth, poor thing) and decided I'd've been pretty unhappy if it were me too!!

I think you're right. I imagine something came up on the deck (they love the great room because they can all line up at the big glass door and I put a bird feeder out there for their entertainment). Talk about spooked - I got spooked!!

Now, it's like nothing ever happened. They're one big happy family again! I think, krdahmer, that I WILL be keeping a water bottle around in future though! Seeing them attacking each other really scared me!

chico2
November 10th, 2007, 08:01 AM
rjesak,with Rocky it takes all of about 3 min for him to become his regular sweet self again:confused:
I've learned if my reaction is one of panic,he'll pick up on it..
I am glad things calmed down in the rjesak household:cat:

rjesak
November 10th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Yeah, Zander took significantly longer to cool down (a few hours), but he's all lovey-dovey again. He's in his happy place up on top of the tv stand! When he jumps down, he shakes the whole house!! :laughing: