Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New family member - Sandy, an owner surrender dog

CearaQC
November 8th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Well it finally happened. We now have possession of the goldie mix I mentioned in a previous post, one of the two dogs that were living in another location and spent their time outdoors tethered. The owner finally agreed to surrender one dog, an adult female. However, her male pup from a previous litter is still living at that location.

I really don't like her name and need to figure out a new one.

Before I go any further, let me state the dog has a vet appointment this coming Monday. She needs a lot of stuff checked out.

First of all, she's pregnant and it's not my doing. I read a lot of heated statements on this forum about de-sexing animals and I'm all for that, but wanted to state she is going to be seeing a vet to avoid such comments. And she will get spayed.

Previous owner did not spay her and she got pregnant before I brought her home. And to me it appears she's more than halfway through gestation, although it's difficult to tell. When she is laying down I can see the pups move about from time to time. She's on the thin side, ribs easily felt. She shakes her head all the time and scratches. Ears don't smell bad but there's the dark gunk in her ears that look like ear mite activity. She licks her paws regularly so I'm not sure if it's allergies or not. She also has itchy spots on the outside of her mouth on the sides. She's definitely not comfortable and can only assume she's not too happy with being pregnant and having these other problems.

She was very dirty also and had steel grey staining around her neck area where the chain was. On Wednesday afternoon when the sun was warming through the windows, I gave her a bath. She perked up after the bath and it seemed to make her feel better.

She's not had a problem going potty outside, and we go every couple of hours. I have taken her for a few short strolls but unsure just how much exercise to give her due to all her problems.

She's very friendly, calm and quiet. Only time she barks is when my cat hisses at her. He's not too happy about the new member, but will come around. He's lived with dogs before, but none as large as this one.

There's a lot of unknowns about this dog, such as the food she ate prior to coming here or whether she had vaccinations or what kind of prior treatment she had for her ears, if any. I plan on implementing raw food diet after further research on it and seeing if I can get the local grocery stores to assist me since there's no regular butcher shop in the area.

She definitely has Golden Retriever in her and probably some lab. But I really don't know for sure. She's a true velcro dog and seems to only follow me around and only listen to me, but is curious about other family members who live here with us and greets them with a thumping tail.

I haven't gotten much sleep since she came here. lol I slept on the couch the first night with her beside me and I was nervous she might not know housetraining and so didn't sleep much. Last night, she climbed the stairs with me very carefully, one step at a time with me beside her and slept beside the bed for a couple of hours. Got up bright and early to let her out and go for a nice stroll. I hope we can get on a more normal schedule soon so I can sleepl. :pray:

Here are a couple of pics

What's that noise?
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/Ceara_QC/DSCF0003-3.jpg

Like she's saying, I feel like sh**.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/Ceara_QC/DSCF0001-6.jpg

Ford Girl
November 8th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Ohmy, she is beautiful! She looks golden to me, altho not coming from a breeder you will never know, and she's probably mixed but she looks like a golden to me. :lovestruck: They do come in all shapes and sizes and colors and fur length. :cloud9:

Thank you for saving her, she sounds like she will be much better off and much healthier now that she's with you. Keep us posted and keep the pictures coming!!

clm
November 8th, 2007, 03:23 PM
She is beautiful, and kudos to you for getting her out of that horrible sitiuation and into your loving home.

I want to see more pics too. Her colouring is beautiful and what pretty eyes.

She's had a hard start in life, but she'll be on cloud nine from now on.

Cindy

white wrabbit
November 8th, 2007, 03:24 PM
she is beautiful!!:lovestruck:

ancientgirl
November 8th, 2007, 04:08 PM
She's beautiful. Too bad you couldn't get the other pup too.

CearaQC
November 8th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Wish I had the funds to take care of both dogs. But the vet bill with this girl will be enough for now. lol

We went for a nice half hour stroll behind our house and just got back a few minutes ago. We have 100 acres, so eventually there will be lots for her to explore. She's very good on the leash.

The saddest part of all, she has zero interest in toys/playing and doesn't seem to want to pick up stuff like a regular retriever type dog. I really don't know what to do about that.

chico2
November 8th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Ceara,I walk a Cocker Spaniel every day and she has NO interest in toys,nobody ever played with her or taught her how much fun toys can be.
I think you can probably teach Sandy the fun with toys,I've tried with Bailey,but I only see her about an hour a day.
Sandy is a beautiful girl,too bad for her she's pregnant,but I am sure everything will work out fine,now that she has a loving home:thumbs up

shredy
November 8th, 2007, 05:35 PM
She is gorgeous!! What a lucky dog to have found you and I hope the vet visit doesn't reveal anything serious. Good for you to rescue this beautiful girl! :highfive:

Bearsmom
November 8th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Congratulations, she is absolutely beautiful!

Our dog Bear has no interest in retrieving, nor does he like water (he's got some lab in him), he is also convinced with squeaky toys that he's hurting them when they squeak, don't worry about it, some dogs just aren't big toy dogs.

kashtin's kin
November 8th, 2007, 07:02 PM
CearaQC, what a sweet dog-it almost seems that you can 'read' the hard life she's had thus far in her demeanour (weary, with health issues etc.). But she also looks as if she somehow knows she's just won a lottery of sorts :dog:. Assuming her physical problems can be resolved without too much difficulty-although no doubt denting your wallet-I'm sure she will turn out to be a great companion.

It sounds like she's really bonding with you; with time, her insecurites should disappear, and when she has her health back :fingerscr, she may well turn out to be a lot more playful. Lack of proper socialization/food/care can really 'dim the light' in man and beast, but it's often heartening to see how quickly critters rebound with a little nourishment (both physical and mental).

Perhaps someone else in your area will be able to help out with the other dog? I know it's hard to have to pluck one suffering animal out of a rotten existence, but every life we can save and/or improve dramatically is a big deal, so do keep that in mind. (Sounds like a complicated sort of situation; if you are able to talk to the idiot that kept both dogs so badly, maybe you can eventually improve the lot of the left-behind dog.)

Kudos to you, again, for being a critter :angel: , and I join others on the BB in wishing you and your new best friend ALL the best :goodvibes:! P.S. keep us posted!

mummummum
November 8th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Yup, she DEFINITELY is one lucky dog !

CearaQC
November 8th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks for all the nice things you all are saying. :goodvibes:

Earlier she met a family member's dog for the first time. I kept her away from the other dog due to the ear mite situation and they had a staring contest but nothing happened, not a peep from either one.

It was a cloudy, yucky day today, terrible for taking pictures. On a nicer day we will try a few more.

She looks like she's passing out for a nap now.

Lots of shedding. I think maybe because she was outdoors all that time and now indoors with heat. Could that cause the shedding?

I haven't had a dog in almost 10 years and will definitely need advice from the more seasoned dog people out there.

As for the pup, well the team of ladies that helped me with this dog is working on the other one. I keep in contact with my helpers as they like knowing how she's doing now.

Through gossip though, I learned the previous owner had the nerve to ask for one of the puppies. :eek:

Frenchy
November 8th, 2007, 08:12 PM
The saddest part of all, she has zero interest in toys/playing and doesn't seem to want to pick up stuff like a regular retriever type dog. I really don't know what to do about that.

Lots of shedding. I think maybe because she was outdoors all that time and now indoors with heat. Could that cause the shedding?

Through gossip though, I learned the previous owner had the nerve to ask for one of the puppies. :eek:

I am soooo glad you got her out of there ! :thumbs up woohoo ! Don't worry about the playing part , this could take some time. My Bailey was a rescue and it took him a year to act goofy and play.

The shedding : stress or bad food she was on. Everytime I get a new foster , they shed like crazy for the first weeks . After a few weeks of good food and settling in , it will get better.

For the puppies , if she does have them , tell the lady they all died ! :shrug:

Congratulation on your new member ! Can't wait to hear how it goes with her and we expect lots of pictures ! She's a sweetie , defenetly some golden in her. :lovestruck:

Thank you so much for saving her !

CearaQC
November 8th, 2007, 08:38 PM
For the puppies , if she does have them , tell the lady they all died ! :shrug:

Actually she thinks I'm doing the abortion thing and there will be no puppies, because that's the story we agreed she would be told. lol

I'm not too keen on doing the whole puppy thing, but will do everything I can to make it all work out if I have to, and have the same helpers to find homes for them all.

Heaven only knows what sort of dog got her pregnant. 'Tis a mystery. I asked and no one knew. The answer was, "Some other dog down the street." I thought, "Yeah... can you be more vague please?" lol

Will see what the vet says about it all on Monday.

This evening, I thought she was going to nap, but she keeps going to different places, trying different positions and just can't seem to get comfy at all and lets out big a big *sigh*. Maybe I need to start getting a whelping box set up.

Frenchy
November 8th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I hope everything goes well with the delivery :fingerscr

coppperbelle
November 8th, 2007, 08:52 PM
She certainly looks like a golden to me. I think we have corresponded via e-mails and if I am right I am thrilled to know that you were able to get her out of that horrid situation. Hopefully her pup will be as lucky.
The shedding is normal and will improve. It will take time but once she is less stressed and more secure in your home she will start playing with toys.
One thing I have learned when bringing home a new dog and there have been many is to give them their space. They are confused and sometimes mourning their previous home no matter how bad it is. It takes some dogs a little longer than others. I have had some fosters adjust quickly and others that took a few weeks so every dog is different. One thing about goldens is that they are very adaptable.

I agree with Frenchy. If her previous owner wants a pup tell her they all died. She doesn't need another dog.

joeysmama
November 8th, 2007, 09:00 PM
This is so dishonest but if it were me I would hint that she might get a puppy if she gave up the dog she still has. Then when the dog is safely away from her you can tell her that you're sooo sorry there are no puppies. I know, it's dishonest but if dangling a puppy in front of her will save the other doggie.....:shrug:

hazelrunpack
November 8th, 2007, 09:22 PM
She's gorgeous, CearaCQ. :cloud9: Sounds like you've become her :angel: when she needed one most!

While you're at the vet, make sure you get some education on delivery and puppy care--if you can see the puppies moving and she's restless, it sounds like she's very close to whelping. And put that vet on speed-dial! :thumbs up :D

She's such a lucky dog! I sure hope someone is able to get the other pup! :fingerscr

Shaykeija
November 8th, 2007, 10:35 PM
What a beauty......:cloud9: I think she looks like a Jewell....a topaz the November birthstone.

t.pettet
November 8th, 2007, 11:46 PM
So happy you rescued this poor dog, congrats to you and wishing you both many happy years together.:)

CearaQC
November 9th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Yep, Topaz for November! hehe Funny thing too, I got her 2 days before my bday, so that made me feel good.

You all will be happy to hear the latest news!!

Got an email from one of the ladies that helped get Sandy out of her situation and she told me she had some money set aside that someone else gave her to start a shelter here, and she said I could have the money if I wanted. I'm touched by the gesture. :lovestruck:

It seems this dog has many :angel: watching out for her.

Shaykeija
November 11th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Drum roll pleaaase.................amd her new name is???????????:cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
November 11th, 2007, 02:49 AM
very cute :cloud9:

:thumbs up for rescuing a dog in desparate straits

:fingerscr the other ladies can get the pup out too :goodvibes:

CearaQC
November 11th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Haven't figured out a name yet. I just know I don't like the name Sandy and she doesn't respond to it anyway.

Ideas?

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/Ceara_QC/DSCF0004-1.jpg

Winston
November 11th, 2007, 09:32 AM
She is gorgeous! I mean gorgeous!

She looks like a Ginger or even Lily..you have such beautiful lillies!

How is she doing?

Cindy

CearaQC
November 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM
She is doing well as far as I can tell. While we wait for the vet appointment, I clean her ears every day because there's lots of wax gunk coming out. She's eating lots and gets two slow strolls in the back field a day. She climbs the stairs like a champ, but prefers assistance going down stairs and won't do it unless the light is on. If I wasn't by her side, she wouldn't mess with the stairs at all. She's a velcro dog, always wanting to be near me or at least keep me within sight.

I am not getting much sleep and take advantage of some ZZZzzZZZzz when I can, day or night. lol Mostly this is due to her ear problem, scratching, shaking head. In general, just making lots of noise. I'm hoping she'll settle down more once we get the ears healed and sleep throughout the night. But then again I won't have normal sleep until puppies are weaned and gone. No pups yet, no sign of nesting behavior. Mostly eat and rest. She's had a few doggie nightmares.

She wakes up for potty breaks twice a night. Last night we went at 3 am and again at 630 am. Now that I'm up for a while, what does she decide to do? Sleep. I'm becoming skilled at cramming my granny style flannel nightgown into a pair of sweat pants and loading up the winter coat and gear to go outside in the middle of the night. lol

What's funny is I used to be almost terrified going outside in the dark at night. In the boonies it gets really dark. But since I got her, I have no problem heading out at night. Being awake at those hours makes it prime to catch a deer munching on the ash tree berries.

It's beginning to snow heavily here.

No wonder people begin to treat pets as children. I feel like I just got a newborn with all the feeding, pooping, noise making, attention demanding and sleepless nights. lol Makes it difficult to hang out with the spouse. ;)

Frenchy
November 11th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I'm not too good with finding good names. Omg , I love that last picture of her , she must be sooo relieved to finally live inside a house ! And to get to lay on a couch ! :cloud9: And get all this affection from you ! She is a lucky pup :thumbs up

otter
November 11th, 2007, 02:38 PM
My mistake, I thought her name was "Topaz"

Yep, Topaz for November! hehe Funny thing too, I got her 2 days before my bday, so that made me feel good.

Hogansma
November 11th, 2007, 06:20 PM
She is beautiful and looks like my friend's golden that was named "Chili Pepper", just Chili for short. Here are some of my favourite names: Becca, Sophie, Emma, Jewel, Ruby ...... but I also like Topaz, too. Naming them is so much fun! Any puppies yet?

Luba
November 11th, 2007, 07:05 PM
After what she's been through she deserves a distinguished ladies name... hmm lets see.... What about Mary Magdalene (Maggy for short)

The reason for her hair loss, could very well be from the pregnancy and hormonal changes added to stress, and dry heat indoors. I use a portable humidifier in my house and put pans of water by the registers or I get nose bleeds and my dog Sadie scratches terribly. It's also the season for dogs to blow their coats!

She looks so sad this angel girl you've saved. Thank you for giving her love, care and compassion.

growler~GateKeeper
November 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I like the name Topaz too, nice sparkley shine jewel name for a purrty grrl :cloud9:

happycats
November 11th, 2007, 08:10 PM
She is sooooo beautiful:lovestruck:and your an :angel:for giving her a great home!!

As for names, she lokks just like a Tana (pronounced like Tanya without the y) :)