Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do you eat before your dog(s)???

JanM
November 8th, 2007, 01:05 PM
This is a question I've been pondering - sometimes I do and sometimes I don't and I've been told that, when I eat after them, I'm letting them think they are the bosses because they eat first.

I'm having a little trouble, well, ok - more than a little trouble - accepting that.

I'd sure like to hear what others do and think about this...

breeze
November 8th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Bree eats before I do.. In the morning the only thing I can do is drink my tea, the site of food turn my tummy.. and for supper it is just easier for me to feed her then start preparing supper. (this way she is not drooling all over my floor ) :laughing:

IMO I don't think it matters I have never had a problem showing Bree who's boss of the house lol lol lol lol she listens very well in the house when given a comand... unless my hubby or kids want her to do something :laughing:

BusterBoo
November 8th, 2007, 01:44 PM
We eat at the same time actually. Buster gets to sample during the cooking process (veggies usually) and will then sit while I am eating dinner. As soon as I put my fork down, indicating I am finished, he whines and at that point, he will be given any appropriate leftovers (crust of bread, small piece of meat). Once he is convinced I am REALLY finished, he goes to his own food and eats. :D

ancientgirl
November 8th, 2007, 02:23 PM
This might just be a dog question, but I'll answer for the kitties. My cats eat before I do.

They eat earlier, around 6:15-30am, I get ready for work and leave. I eat breakfast on my way in. When I come home around 5:30-6:00, I feed them first. Then I shower and make myself something to eat, of course I have to share that too sometimes.:D

Ford Girl
November 8th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I think it all depends on the way you show leadership with your critters or if it's even an issue, and if they have had issues accepting their place in your pack (same with going thru doors ahead of them, and allowing them on your bed) I practice this mainly because when we first got Dazy every reference and research tool told us to, from our vet to the Golden for Dummies book, my trainer, the old guy on the Good Dog tv show, the breeder. And it just so happenes that our little puppy was very dominent, so it made sense to us. We eat first, then we get both Dazy and Pubert's food ready, Pubert gets his first, then Dazy.

BUT...we are not anal about it, if we are going out or not eating for hours, or Dazy has class or a play date, we feed the critters when they need to be fed. We now do it cuz it's become routine, and the critter expect it this way. Neither of us eats breakfast at home during the week, so Pubert gets fed, then Dazy, it's basicially at the same time, since they are only feet apart.

What I do do before I place the bowls down and what I think is more important then the order of feeding, is both critters need to be in their spot behaving appropriatly, Pubert up on his table waiting quietly - as opposed to meowing on the kitchen counter pawing the can openier or trying to eat Dazy's kibble while I prepare the dishes...and Dazy needs to sit on her "x" spot and wait patiently until I set it down and say "take it". Otherwise they both stand behind me and I nearly trip over them, or they make noises and push each other out of the way and when I head to the place to drop the dishes, both critters run to get there first...so I make them both sit and wait for it using manners, both need to be calm at feeding time.

Seriously, Pubert thinks he should be first, and Dazy thinks she should be first, even tho they are a cat and a dog, they compete with each other, so we always fed Pubert first since Dazy out weighs him by 60lbs, so she wait the seconds it takes for us to put Puberts food down, then she gets hers.

I don't think eating before them is a huge issue and must be inforced, as long as feeding time is controlled and your critters can be approached, touched and inturrupted at any given time if needed. My critter both thrive on routine, and it works for me. Dazy is really bossy tho, so I think it helps keep her in line.

white wrabbit
November 8th, 2007, 02:48 PM
in my house since i am getting kids ready for school they eat first. then the dog and i have mine after the bus stop.. but half the time she dosent eat her food till after the morning rush either..

but as Ford Girl mentioned i have heard for dog that want to be the dominate one to eat before them even if it is just a little piece of some thing like a corner off a piece of cheese or what ever... but dosent have to be a full meal...

i know i can't stomach food first thing when i get up...
Coffee is a different story..:laughing:

JanM
November 8th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Interesting - seems to be a mix here. Bobby and Amber both wait outside the kitchen while I prepare their food then they come and tuck in when I put their bowls down. I don't believe dominance is an issue with mine and they are well behaved when being fed so, I think I can now put this question to rest and just keep on as I've been doing.

I eat when I'm hungry - could be at 4 pm or 6 pm but I like to feed the dogs at pretty much the same time every day. I was secretly hoping I wouldn't have to structure my eating habits :D

Thanks for your insights!

Bentley'sMom
November 8th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I feed my dogs before I eat dinner. They must wait patiently and sit before I serve them. Then, I expect them to "settle" while y husband and I eat and to not disturb us. So, I think that shows leadership in a way.

want4rain
November 8th, 2007, 04:30 PM
we feed Mister after everyone else. we feed the kids, ourselves then the cats then the dog.

i would think it would be completely up to the dog really. if yo ufeed your dog, s/he is having position issues then i would make a drastic change to make a stand saying you are the boss.

part of the reason we feed this way in out hosue is because as a older pup Mister wouldnt eat breakfast. NOW we ahve him on a raw home made diet so he eats our left overs too. he was having dominance issues with our cats so we have been making it a point to feed them before him (just so happens AFTER us) and then let him clean up what they leave. THEN we feed him either OUR leftovers or his raw meaty bones. depends on whats on the menu. :)

he always lets us through the doors first, sits and waits for an ok before eating and so on.

-ash

Lissa
November 8th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I think that eating before my dog in order to prove something is nonesense...
First of all, Dodger already knows that I control the food - I buy it, bring it home, store it and dispense it at my discretion (part of being the one with opposable thumbs and a debit card). Secondly, Dodger would know that whatever I nibbled on was NOT what he was getting (which would cause him great upset in the form of drool and puppy dog eyes).
Having your dog EARN his dinner is 100x more effective than plopping down a food bowl after you've finished playing mind games with yourself (because IMO that's all you are doing).:p

chico2
November 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I feed my cats in the morning before I even go to the bathroom,because they make such a racket:laughing:
Then I'll sit down,have my coffee and read the paper.

sugarcatmom
November 8th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I feed my cats in the morning before I even go to the bathroom,because they make such a racket:laughing:
Then I'll sit down,have my coffee and read the paper.

Me too! Aren't we well trained.

mummummum
November 8th, 2007, 07:28 PM
The dogs have to stay outside of the kitchen while I'm getting their food together ~ which is a mighty challenge for them on "bacon n' eggs" Sundays :D and they have to sit before I place thei bowls down. Bridie is a food thief if I turn my back on her so she must eat apart from the others and sit/stay until I release her when the others have finished. That's about our only mealtime routine now.

kashtin's kin
November 8th, 2007, 07:54 PM
With multiple cats, dogs and ponies, the ponies tend to get fed breakfast first, at least; they are impatient, and capable of making their stalls REALLY hard to clean! Given this factor, I don't even bother worrying about who's got the power (we all know Les Ponies do!! :rolleyes:). I just don't want to spend WAY more time on stall patrol :yuck: , hence my Olympic-calibre 100 metre sprint once my feet hit the floor in the morning.

In the case of the cats and dogs, it depends how hungry I am :D.

p.s. in terms of establishing 'alpha status', I do make sure I go through the door to outside before the dogs...same with the ponies. And when I'm tacking up La Ponita for a ride, she KNOWS my limits; I shamelessly :o give her treats, but she has excellent 'ground manners' i.e. lifting her feet to be cleaned, accepting the bit etc. Also, if our little barn wasn't so darn close to the house-as in, ponies can hear every little sound once I get up!-I would be a bit more leisurely in the a.m.!

Frenchy
November 8th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I eat breakfast at work so yes , they eat before me. And I don't eat supper on week days so .... and since it's their routine , they do eat before me on week ends. But I don't have a problem with dominance , other than with the cats :laughing:

luckypenny
November 8th, 2007, 11:17 PM
It all depends on when our dinner is ready. If we're eating late, then I'll feed the dogs first. Otherwise they wait nicely until we're done. They all love to lay by my feet while I'm preparing their meals. Penny between me and the counter so half the time I'm bent over her trying to work :rolleyes:, Ava behind me, and Lucky right next to me. I swear they're trying to get me to trip over them so I drop it all at once onto the floor :D . When I'm all done, they immediately sit at their places without my having to tell them so. All I do is pick up their bowls and that's their cue. The bowls are all put down, and with an "ok," they dive in at the same time. When they're finished, they all take turns licking each other's empty bowls :rolleyes: :D.

hazelrunpack
November 9th, 2007, 12:04 AM
We're on the same schedule as luckypenny, but because there are so many munchkins in the house, they have to eat in shifts. We usually eat first, but if we're running late for some reason, we feed them at their normal time and eat afterward. That way, they aren't all sitting politely around the table, drooling heavily, while they watch us eat. :D

Shaykeija
November 9th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I feed HRH Missie the Poo and Princess Tyra before us. If not I have 2 little open mouths under the table waiting for a food drop...:laughing::laughing:I have to get a picture of this, all you can see is Tyra's nose waiting.....