Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what would be the going rate??

breeze
November 8th, 2007, 09:22 AM
As some of you know I have 2 boys, who both work full time. On their days off they do thier laundry and earns.. But when it comes to cleaning thier rooms they suddenly have no understanding of the word, yet they complain that their rooms are dusty and need to be cleaned.

One of my sons want Bree to sleep in his room, but with all the little things on the floor that could be eaten or chewed or make her sick, my reply to this is, "not in my world unless your room is clean". I offered to clean their rooms from top to bottom for a small fee. One son sat there and pondered this for a while before asking "how much"?? I responed by looking at him straight in the eye and saying "I have no idea I will get back to you".. lol lol lol
They both pay room and board, and help with the cooking (one better than the other) and other things around the house.

So my question is what is the going rate for cleaning 1 or 2 bedrooms?? I also could use the barter system, but first I need to know how much to charge..

It is up to them to say yes or no, but once I present my rate, they must make a choice weither it is worth it to them or not..

JanM
November 8th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I would suggest $15.00 an hour. That way no-one gets "cheated" - if it takes a long time to clean up their messes - so be it - if it takes only half an hour - they should still pay the full hour rate - each..

Love4himies
November 8th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Yup that sounds about right if they wanted to get a maid service in. Minimum rate would probably be about $30 for their time to and from the house.

Frenchy
November 8th, 2007, 11:06 AM
:thumbs up Breeze , that's a super good idea.

Oh and I second JanM idea for the rate.

breeze
November 8th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks Frenchy and JanM
This way I get to throughly clean their rooms and teach them priorities

and when (notice I said when not if) they move out they will know that nothing in life is free

marko
November 8th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I think that rate is fair, but I might suggest slightly lower maybe 12-13/hr.

BTW - I think MANY people could learn from your system Breeze. Many kids these days have zero respect for their parents OR their chores. By charging them and making them realize the value of work, the concept of rent, and the concept of barter or exchange - you are instilling GREAT PRACTICAL lessons, as well as respect.

Seriously, I know some parents that should be slapped upside the head for the way they let their kids disrespect them.

:thumbs up Breeze!

marko

Frenchy
November 8th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Marko is right , I have met both of Breeze's sons and they are very nice young adults and have a very cool relationship with their parents. :thumbs up

breeze
November 8th, 2007, 11:25 AM
May I ask why lower Marko?? Is it cause they live at home??

It is hard these days to teach repect but I have been doing this all their lives.. when they where small I would teach them that it is not only the adults that have to clean the bathrooms, vacum, windows, or laundry.. I even got rid of the dishwasher because the were taking advantage of it. Now they have to wash dry and put dishes away by hand....the only thing they have a problem with is the ironing lol lol lol I kinda like my cloths not burnt !! (they end up by buying thing that don't need ironing lol lol).

Writing4Fun
November 8th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Our local Molly Maids charges $60/hour ... but that's for two of them, and they can clean both of my bathrooms and my kitchen top to bottom, plus all of my floors in that one hour. That's waaaayyyy more than I could do in the same hour, so I wouldn't feel right charging the same rate. ;)

I think $15/hour is good.

I also agree that what you're doing is wonderful parenting. :thumbs up

happycats
November 8th, 2007, 11:43 AM
I thought the average house cleaner charged $20.00 per hour, so $15.00 is more then fair. My neighbour charges her brother $20.00 per hour (her brother is older and has his own apartment, she is only 16, and enjoys the extra income).

I like the idea, but why not just close the bedroom door, and let them live like that if they chose? :shrug: That's what my mom did, and although I was a little piggie while still living with my parents, I became a clean freak as soon as I had a place of my own.

I don't think the way a child keeps his room at home, will anyway reflect how he keeps his own place when he has one. I believe it's what they see (if they grow up in a clean home) they become. :)

breeze
November 8th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Happycats.... there coms a time when you have to say enough is enough.. they also learn that they have to repect what is not theirs "my home"

and there is a problem with the house and air curulating so closing the doors is not an option..

happycats
November 8th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Happycats.... there coms a time when you have to say enough is enough.. they also learn that they have to repect what is not theirs "my home"

and there is a problem with the house and air curulating so closing the doors is not an option..

Okay, so $15.00 an hour sounds good!! :D
It's not that I don't agree, it's just that I wouldn't want my son to think I am the "paid" help.:o

marko
November 8th, 2007, 11:57 AM
May I ask why lower Marko?? Is it cause they live at home??

yeah it's because they live at home...but maybe I'm just being too soft and surely 15 bucks an hour is NOT unfair.

I like the idea, but why not just close the bedroom door, and let them live like that if they chose? That's what my mom did, and although I was a little piggie while still living with my parents, I became a clean freak as soon as I had a place of my own.

I would respectfully disagree with that suggestion - by no means am I a clean freak but I think it's fair to say that almost everyone prefers a clean room or house to a dirty one. Dust travels throughout the house from dirty rooms to the clean areas. This is BREEZE's house and if Breeze wants her kids' rooms to be clean, IMO, it should not be up for debate.

You go girl! :highfive: :D

breeze
November 8th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Okay, so $15.00 an hour sounds good!! :D
It's not that I don't agree, it's just that I wouldn't want my son to think I am the "paid" help.:o

no no they don't think that.. they did not come to me I suggested it to them.. I am giving them the option of doing it themselves or I will help out for a small fee cause they work very hard and the time they have off is only one day for one son and the other has 2 jobs,and go to night school.. so their time is limited.... one son is 18 and the other one is 21

breeze
November 8th, 2007, 12:04 PM
yeah it's because they live at home...

Thats why I did not answer them right away.... sometimes it is hard being a parent :sad:

want4rain
November 8th, 2007, 03:36 PM
if learning to clean it up themselves isnt an issue (looks like you have addressed that already) $15-20 hourly is just fine but expect them to have the place cleaned up first. you dont put their undies away do you??? you can dust and mop and vacuum to your hearts content.

a good exercise might be to have them research what the going rate is and decide what they pay?? :D

-ash

chico2
November 8th, 2007, 03:51 PM
We were kind of hard on our sons(3)as soon as they started working and still lived at home,they paid rent.
I remember my oldest son saying"this is my home,why should I pay rent":laughing:
He soon was out on his own,realizing it's a very expensive world out there and would have been more than willing to pay room and board at home.
I don't think there is anything wrong with charging your kids,especially now,since kids live at home and get everything done for them even at 35yrs old..
So you go girl,charge them for cleaning,then maybe they'll learn to clean their own rooms:cat:

breeze
November 8th, 2007, 04:05 PM
if learning to clean it up themselves isnt an issue (looks like you have addressed that already) $15-20 hourly is just fine but expect them to have the place cleaned up first. you dont put their undies away do you??? you can dust and mop and vacuum to your hearts content.

a good exercise might be to have them research what the going rate is and decide what they pay?? :D

-ash

I am not putting it in their ball court to say what I should charge.. It is an option I am giving them cause of the lack of time they have on their days off.. They do their own laundry unless it is an emergincy and need their uniform for the next day. They also cook for them selfs when the are home and we are not.. they take care of Bree when we are not home and they pay their own way, (school, drivers licence, clothes, ) my son bought his own car without any help from us....
I normally don't go into their rooms.. they make their own beds put away their clothes everything.. just their rooms are a mess.. they don't have the time or the paitents to clean it up the way I would like to see or that the dust bunnies don't turn into tumble weeds or worst. so it is my way of helping them out and getting them to relize that my work is not free by all means.. now if that means they want me to change their beds and put clothes away they will have to pay more for it.. I would like to see which child or I should say young adult would opt to go for conveiance over keeping their money in their pockets..
It is a hard life out their and I am detrermind to get them prepared the best way I know how..

breeze
November 8th, 2007, 04:15 PM
We were kind of hard on our sons(3)as soon as they started working and still lived at home,they paid rent.
I remember my oldest son saying"this is my home,why should I pay rent":laughing:
He soon was out on his own,realizing it's a very expensive world out there and would have been more than willing to pay room and board at home.
I don't think there is anything wrong with charging your kids,especially now,since kids live at home and get everything done for them even at 35yrs old..
So you go girl,charge them for cleaning,then maybe they'll learn to clean their own rooms:cat:

Chico2 when the kids were small then had to learn at a young age mom need help.. my arthrise was out of controll and I was not able to get out of bed sometimes.. they helped out in sooo many way I can't even count.. my oldest would help my youngest when his astma was bad he learnt how to give him his medicine. my younger one learnt how to tak care of my oldest when we were out and about how to kept an eye on him so he would not get hurt or lost..they are great kids, and I am always finding new ways to teach and get them ready for the real world..even tought they are older and they think wiser all of 21 and 18

JanM
November 8th, 2007, 05:12 PM
"It is a hard life out their and I am detrermind to get them prepared the best way I know how.."

Seems to me you are doing a very fine job! It isn't easy out there - I am so fortunate to be retired and away from the workforce now - I don't envy anyone having to build a career these days! Too bad more kids didn't have the caring background you're building for yours!

breeze
November 8th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Thank you for the compliment.

Alot of people say I am very hard on my kids but what I see out there scares the hibyjebies out of me, and I just want my kids to be the best that they can be, take nothing for granted, respect other, help when you can, and work hard..
the kids these days don't do this..the violence,disrespect,the not caring..I wonder where their morels are??

want4rain
November 8th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Chris and i have talked about that some, the rent thing?? we decided if we can afford to, we want to set aside the rent they pay is for their 'future' or their first kid (baby equipment is expensive!!!)

i think you are doing a wonderful job as a parent. rheumatoid arthritis??

-ashley

wdawson
November 8th, 2007, 06:07 PM
$15hr.....keep track of who pays what.....give it back when they really need it....ie: first months rent,ect.
thats what we do for the room and board for our son in the off school working time.

jiorji
November 8th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I think that rate is fair, but I might suggest slightly lower maybe 12-13/hr.

BTW - I think MANY people could learn from your system Breeze. Many kids these days have zero respect for their parents OR their chores. By charging them and making them realize the value of work, the concept of rent, and the concept of barter or exchange - you are instilling GREAT PRACTICAL lessons, as well as respect.

Seriously, I know some parents that should be slapped upside the head for the way they let their kids disrespect them.

:thumbs up Breeze!

marko

sorry guys......but paying your mom to clean your room shows respect?!?uhhh WHAT??
it's like having your own hotel maid. That's not cool. Moms shouldn't have to clean up after you if you're past a certain age. If i ever suggested my mom clean my room i got shots:shrug:

breeze
November 8th, 2007, 08:18 PM
i think you are doing a wonderful job as a parent. rheumatoid arthritis??

-ashley

yes rheumatiod arthritis

luckypenny
November 8th, 2007, 11:23 PM
You and hubby are doing a great job :thumbs up .

We do things just a bit differently here. Both boys were taught at a very young age the value of money. However, in the home, I don't pay them to fold my laundry, pick up my dogs' poop (I'm the one who really wanted them :D), sometimes cook meals for us, and often order out and pay for it too, etc.. So I don't expect them to pay me when I have the urge to clean their rooms. It's a give and take here, our home is just that...our home. So we all do our share when we can. It's kind of more fun that way to see who's going to do what for who. It's always a pleasant surprise to come home to see that one of the boys did the dishes without being asked, and another passed the vacuum and rented a movie for family night. All families are different. I guess it's just what works best for those individual families, as long as values are taught and shared.

chico2
November 9th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I'd say kudos to all of you who never had any trouble with your adult "kids", kids who listen and heed advice from their parents :thumbs up
Unfortunately that is not always the case,no matter how good of a parent you are.
I know of several retirees,who are still catering to every whim of their very adult(35yr olds)"kids",at a time when their lives should be simpler and free to enjoy for themselves.
I never suffered the empty-nest syndrome,I cherish the time hubby and I have for ourselves(+kitties)finally,we were only 18/19 when our oldest was born.
Now,I really enjoy visits for Sunday dinner or maybe helping dad with renovation projects,bad I also enjoy when they leave..:laughing:BAD MOMMY:laughing:
Did I say I love my "kids"(37,41 and 45 yrs old)I certainly do,but it was never problem,frustration-free bringing up 3 boys(2 of whom are disable to a point):cat:

kiara
November 11th, 2007, 04:13 PM
It is very hard for strangers to advise you as what to do in your own house! Every family is different, has a different way of parenting! Has different morals and values. As for me, my room was always a mess as a teenager ( and being a girl it is really a bad thing!) and my poor mother tired to change that, it never worked! What goes around comes around. I forever chased my 3 kids to do chores around the house and clean their rooms. It was not one of my successes. We spent a lot of time arguing, the chores would have taken less time than that! I guess I should have let it go for the sake of peace! I don't agree with you about charging your own kids rent! We never asked ours for any! That's why they were able to put a down payment for a house! Now they have to clean up their own messes!!!!!