Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Switching cats to raw-suggestions

Love4himies
November 8th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Well I purchased some raw feline food and would like to switch my cats to incorporate raw into their diet. Not going to try too hard for my senior cat (HRH Princess Puddles) but it is more for my 5 year old male (Jasper) and 3 year old female (Sweet Pea). Sweet Pea I don't think will be a problem as she was a stray and will eat real meat now, but Jasper doesn't even recognize real meat as food. He is a kibble junkie :yell:.

The raw is thawing as we speak in my fridge. It is from a company called paws-itively raw. Has anybody heard of this company?

Any suggestions/recommedations on the process of switching would be greatly appreciated.

sugarcatmom
November 8th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Well, there are a few ways you can introduce raw. One would be to just put a small amount down and see what they do with it. You could start mixing ever increasing amounts into their regular canned food if they don't take to it on it's own right away, or mix the raw with an absolutely favourite treat (like tuna or baby food). Sometimes I've resorted to sprinkling crushed up dry food on top. For sure not all cats will immediately go for a raw diet, but be patient and keep trying. It took a while, but my kitty has gone from kibble addict to raw meat lover. In fact, it's the only thing he comes running into the kitchen for these days (I have to bring his canned food to him).

I've not heard of Paws-itively Raw Foods before, but the ingredients on their website look good: http://www.paws-itivelyrawfoods.com/product.html

Good luck with it, let us know how they like it!

Love4himies
November 8th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks Sugarcatmom. I was afraid to sprinkle the kibble on top because the website said that it is not good for the digestion because it digests at two different rates. I have an e-mail to them asking about switching so I'll let you know what it says.

All my life I have always thought human food was better for my cats than canned, but there was always that message that canned is nutritionally complete, blah, blah. I fed my Snowball (RIP 1991-2005) human meat almost every supper time (canned cat food in morning) and he was never sick or had any digestion problems his whole life until he got cancer. Besides his annual check up, he only had one teeth cleaning, and one visit for an infected cat bite!

Love4himies
November 8th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Sugarcatmom: I heard back from the manufacturer of this food and they had the same suggestion as you:

Hi Deb. With cats you have to be a little more inventive. I think a digestive enzyme is a good idea. You can buy them at a health food store. I would add just a little raw to the kibble to entice your cat. Gradually cut out the kibble. With dogs we will fast them, but that is not a good idea with cats. Just be patient and it will happen. Keep me informed.
Janice Starr
Portuguese Water Dogs

sandrak
November 10th, 2007, 06:48 AM
All my life I have always thought human food was better for my cats than canned, but there was always that message that canned is nutritionally complete, blah, blah. I fed my Snowball (RIP 1991-2005) human meat almost every supper time (canned cat food in morning) and he was never sick or had any digestion problems his whole life until he got cancer. Besides his annual check up, he only had one teeth cleaning, and one visit for an infected cat bite!

I'm sure you already know this, but just remember that feeding raw is more than just feeding 'meat'. A raw diet contains of a blend of meat, bones, and offal (the entrails and internal organs). To balance think of a whole animal - that is balanced. A whole chicken, cow, kangaroo etc.. So obviously you don't want to feed the organ meet of a cow daily - because that would not be balanced. I usually feed liver and kidney once a week. They get some organ meat on the chicken backs plus I buy some gizzards or chicken livers etc... But I should also say, aim for balance over time, not every meal.

Starting off with pre-made its hard to go wrong though. Good luck, and congrats! You will be so glad you made the switch!

Love4himies
November 13th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Well this was the first weekend with raw and don't think I can make the switch at this time. Much too nervous about bacteria. The kittens liked the raw mixed with their cat food, but do not like it cold and am much too nervous to leave it out to warm up to room temp. They do like their cat food better with raw in it, then not. Momma cat (Sweet Pea) did not like raw at all, but likes her meat semi cooked. Can't warm it up because of the bones in it.

One of my cats just sniffed it and did not even recongnize it as food :sad: and I am not home enough for coaxing him.

I went back to feeding them semi cooked meat as one of their meals and all, except my one cat mentioned above, like it much better (warmed and bloody) but is not nutrionally complete to feed all the time. He is an absolute kibble junkie so he is going to be alot of work to switch to even semi cooked meat.

Will try again after the foster kittens have left the house so not so much work.

Love4himies
November 28th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Well I couldn't take the raw away from my foster kittens, they purr when they smell it and devour it like wild cats. No luck with my adult cats though.

W4R: I buy prepared raw that includes ground bones/meat. Am I able to semi heat this up without worrying about the bones??? I just think I can entice my adult cats easier that way. If so, how do you suggest the heating be done?

want4rain
November 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM
ive been getting split breast on the bone, chopping it up into 4 pieces (been lazy about the chopping lately cause they are eating half a breast each now) at $0.67 a pound. i put one breast per sandwich baggie and filling the sink an inch or two with HOT HOT water to let them sit until the water is cool. that gets it to room temp. that shoudl work for the prepared chicken, i wouldnt nuke it, just bag it and soak it in really hot water.

do your cats eat cooked chicken?? i think the only reason mine even got this close to raw meat was because i started out on a home cooked meal for them... it got to be a PITA so i went with raw. much simpler.

another thing you can try is just leaving it out for them. i know you are worried about bacteria but i can tell you Mister digs his up from outside after an over night stay in the dirt, no issues. we also leave the cat food in the sink for an hour before feeding... then they leave it on the floor for another hour and graze. maybe 2 hours if we have a long show on. :)

my only concern would putting it somewhere they can drag it and you dont know it. we put ours in the kitchen with a baby gate. its all hard flooring and they dont drag it far. they have tried to jump with it but always drop it and thats only when im cooking and feeding them and do something stupid like drop a pan or measuring spoon.

when you think of the bacteria from chicken... think of the cart at the grocer. people get chicken, stick it who knows where, you put your breads (which dont get washed), your produce (which get rinsed), candy bars.... all in possible places where folks wouldnt be considerate enough to NOT stick chicken. THEN you touch your keys (like who washes their keys!!) and your steering wheel and door handles (none of which get washed)... im sure you have built up a fair immunity to small exposure to those things. i make sure the floor gets washed with vinegar(its edible) after they eat and anywhere else the happen to drag it (which is never too far) but i gave up worrying about keeping the bacterial population down on food they are eating. they will let you know if its too far gone for them to eat it. :) mine always do!!

-ashley

sugarcatmom
November 28th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Well I couldn't take the raw away from my foster kittens, they purr when they smell it and devour it like wild cats. No luck with my adult cats though.

W4R: I buy prepared raw that includes ground bones/meat. Am I able to semi heat this up without worrying about the bones??? I just think I can entice my adult cats easier that way. If so, how do you suggest the heating be done?

It should be no problem to heat up the raw a touch. Is it in patty form? You could always just sear the outside of it in a frying pan for a few secs. Don't give up! It took me a long time to get my old guy interested in raw for meals (although he's always liked the occasional piece of raw turkey or chicken for treats) and now he prefers it to even Fancy Feast!

Love4himies
November 29th, 2007, 01:24 PM
It should be no problem to heat up the raw a touch. Is it in patty form? You could always just sear the outside of it in a frying pan for a few secs. Don't give up! It took me a long time to get my old guy interested in raw for meals (although he's always liked the occasional piece of raw turkey or chicken for treats) and now he prefers it to even Fancy Feast!

It is in a plastic container similar to a small margerine container. I have been feeding it to them right out of the fridge. It is in fairly small chunks. I don't see any large bones so they must be ground up.

The kittens prefer it to any cat food, wild goose being their absolute favourite. I haven't given them Fancy Feast though, don't want them to start on that stuff. The only problem is, they won't stay off the counter when I am cooking anything with meat :p.

My senior female will now eat cooked meat (chicken and beef) since she has been eating Wellness canned, which she would not do when she was on cheap kibble. She won't touch the raw though.

I will not give up, my goal is to get my three cats on raw. I got Puddles on Wellness from Fancy Feast and kibble, so I think I can progress to raw.

Love4himies
November 29th, 2007, 01:40 PM
i put one breast per sandwich baggie and filling the sink an inch or two with HOT HOT water to let them sit until the water is cool. that gets it to room temp. that shoudl work for the prepared chicken, i wouldnt nuke it, just bag it and soak it in really hot water.

do your cats eat cooked chicken?? i think the only reason mine even got this close to raw meat was because i started out on a home cooked meal for them... it got to be a PITA so i went with raw. much simpler.

-ashley
I think I will try the soaking in hot water. I don't buy full pieces of meat, but the prepared stuff (Paws-itively Raw)

Puddles and Sweet Pea will eat cooked meat, Jasper doesn't even recognize it as food:sad:. Guess that would be similar to a child only being feed french fries and hotdogs his whole life, then given a salad to eat and expecting that child to gobble it up. We adopted Jasper a year ago and have no idea what he was being fed in his old home (he was a stray)

Love4himies
December 20th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Well finally the place where I buy my raw finally got in more feline raw. I soaked the container in warm water to thaw it quickly. The result was when I served it to the kitties last night, they had warm meat. THEY WENT CRAZY over it :crazy:. Tried putting some in Jasper's mouth, but he just spit it out:sad:.