Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Energy? Just a little....

Ford Girl
November 7th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Hi, who out there wishes that your dog came with a remote control? So you could pause them at any given time? LOL!!!

I say this cuz Dazy has so much energy that we often joke about letting her become over weight to slow her down or we should skip feedings to lower her energy, or we say that we've fed and exercised her too well and she's become this super lean energizer bunny that NEVER quits! And I mean NEVER! She has such a high endurance for exercise, it seems only a full day at day care - 8 hours, or hours at the huge offleash park completely burn her surplus energy. Of course, we only joke about it, we would never endanger her health.

Example: Yesterday, she was off leah for 30 mins beofre I left for work, chasing a ball in the field, then DH leash walked her for 40 mins after work, then I took her to drop in doggie play for an hour of wrestling and running with many other dogs non-stop. We get home and she lays down for about 30 mins then pops back up, ball AND stuffie in mouth, ready to play some more, tail wagging, running thru the house, growling roo roos, fraps, trying to play with the cat. :crazy:

Thats when I'd like to hit the pause button...cuz you know what? I am tired, I'm done, it's been a long day at work and I also walked when she walked, and I took her to play, I am done. Why isn't she? LOL! :shrug: Go to sleep little doggie....go to sleep. :sleepy: Mom's tired.

Lissa
November 7th, 2007, 02:50 PM
I can relate!:rolleyes: Dodger needs at least 4 hours of off-leash hiking everday to keep him fit and happy (+ mental stimulation and sport training)... Any less and he goes into a doggy depression and becomes a velcro dog (never destructive or hyper though).

IMO most people have no idea just how much mental and physical activity their dog(s) truly needs to thrive (I certainly didn't until Dodger)... We can't forget that we are stimulated mentally and physically ALL day, while most dogs are left at home with 1-2hrs of physical and mental stimulation each day (if not less). It's not surprising that so many dogs have "issues" when you think about it like that!

Aside from hiking, shaping exercises and interactive toys are my biggest tools to combat the energy. At least I can give Dodger as many kong's as I want since he'll always burn it off:crazy:

white wrabbit
November 7th, 2007, 03:11 PM
oh oh oh!!!!!!! can i have one for my kids!!!! forget one for the dog she is laid back:laughing:

Ford Girl
November 7th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Right, and I only mentioned the physical activity, we also go do an hour of agility once a week, and clicker train every day or at least every second day - for both obedience and fun tricks. Plus we play a search game almost nightly with her ball, that helps tire her out. I too can give her bones and treats and kongs to pass the time sice she burns every calorie she intakes.

Crazy how much energy they have. :crazy:

Ford Girl
November 7th, 2007, 03:19 PM
oh oh oh!!!!!!! can i have one for my kids!!!! forget one for the dog she is laid back:laughing:

WW, if you can find one, you better buy a case or 2, they will sell in seconds. I'd certainly take one, and make mine a universal remote - works on dogs, cats and husbands! :laughing:

Jim Hall
November 7th, 2007, 04:38 PM
:):)

we once decided to see just how much my lab stoner and his frien the standard poodle mitzi would take before they pooped out
4 hrs later after chasing sticks rabbits birds squrrils and an ccasional hedge hog they were still ready to go . [I] think the only time saw my lab stoner relly tored was when we took him camping and hiked for 6 hrs

white wrabbit
November 7th, 2007, 04:44 PM
WW, if you can find one, you better buy a case or 2, they will sell in seconds. I'd certainly take one, and make mine a universal remote - works on dogs, cats and husbands! :laughing:

life time supply please!! i still wish they cold bottle some of that energy so we could have some at times.. it could come in handy to keep up with them...

Coffee only does so much:laughing:

TeriM
November 8th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Riley is exactly the same way .... endless energy :rolleyes:. He is usually not so bad in the mornings so I try to push his walk back further in the day as that usually makes the evening a little calmer. Days that I go for a run with him in the morning mean that by dinner time he is in full-on playing and driving us nuts mode.

JanM
November 8th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Amber is right up there in the high energy bracket too - she's been really tired a couple of times - once when we took a 5 1/2 hr hike and she covered about 3 x the ground we did and once when she went out with a pack of dogs and ran her legs off - but a couple of hours after napping and boom - "I'm ready to rock and roll now Mom"...

I'd like to harness some of her energy for me!