Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

No Sleep!

jimo1120
November 7th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Let me start by telling you my cats name is Juneau. He's approx 3 yrs, 4 mos old. He's mixed, with simese color.
When I first got him, he was 6 weeks old. Within about 1-2 months, the inside of his ears, around his eyes, and his whole chin started getting raw. He was scatching all the time. About 6 months, 3 different vets, an animal dermetoligist, and $2000.00 later, I found out he was allergic to chicken, which now is the least of my problems.
Anyway, my problem is my cat won't let me sleep. He's an inside, outside cat. The patio door to my apartment is in my bedroom. At night, while I'm trying to sleep, he wakes me up to come in and out of the apartment, every hour. No that's is getting cold outside, he wants to come in every 15 minutes, which means as soon as I fall asleep, he wakes me up, then when I fall asleep again, he wakes me up again, last night, 6 to 7 times in the first two hours. I have gone through this routine for three years, and my brain and body just can't function without proper sleep. Any advise out there would be greatly appreciated. jimo1120

Love4himies
November 7th, 2007, 11:06 AM
How about training him to stay in at night and during the process, use some soft ear plugs to tune him out? Do you have another room you can lock him up at night so he won't be jumping on your bed putting his whiskers in your face or giving your head a gentle clawing to wake you up? A roaming kitty is a kitty in danger so I would never recommend leaving him outside all night.

krdahmer
November 7th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Ditto to L4H, and I have trained 8 cats now to go from outdoor cats to strictly indoors. It is safer for them and less stress for you. It will take patience and a little time, and a good water bottle. But it can be done, and may save you lots more on vet bills in the future, as when he is outdoors you might not be able to keep him from eating things he shouldn't. (I also have one that is allergic to chicken, and corn and fleas...it is much easier to control what they get into when you can control their environment.):)

Winston
November 7th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I agree with all the others! An indoor cat is a much safer cat! and some say cats are supposed to outdoors and that it is cruel to not let them be! well I say that it is cruel to allow them outdoors to deal with weather, food, people, cars and all the other dangers they cant fight off!

Your cat will learn your routine and eventually all will be happy...I agree you may need some earplugs for a little bit! Good Luck

Cindy

white wrabbit
November 7th, 2007, 03:40 PM
your in an apartment? how does that work with the cat and going out side are you on the first floor of it?

jimo1120
November 12th, 2007, 10:03 PM
yes, I had to get a first floor apartment. Tried to keep Juneau in at night, but after an hour and a half of meowing without stopping, had to let him out.

CearaQC
November 13th, 2007, 03:12 AM
I know I don't live in the same situation as you since I'm out in the country, but my cat used to do the same thing.

When I first got him I was living in an apartment and he never went outside. After we moved here, I wanted to introduce him to the outdoors so he could have new experiences. He was terrified at first but then started to love it and has turned into our resident mouse hunter.

I "trained" him early on, that when it's time for his curfew, he has to come in, and that's that for the night no matter how much meowing. I didn't want him staying out at night and wanted him in by 9 or 10 pm. I don't give in.

During the day, he may do the in and out routine about 20 times and never goes far from the house. But at night he gets hand fed treats so he learned fast to come when called. He just loved to be hand fed.

When he would meow again I ignored him and although he doesn't understand language I told him it's too late for kitties to be outside. This took a long time to do but now he has a little routine and is always ready to come in at the right time.

Maybe your kitty is doing it still because he knows you'll get up since you've been doing it all along. If your bedroom has that door, try locking him out of your bedroom. Perhaps if he can't get to the door, he might not desire it as much.

badger
November 13th, 2007, 04:08 AM
I'm with CearaQC, you can get them used to staying in at night, if you are consistent, although if it is an ingrained habit it might take a bit longer. Better buy some earplugs. I wouldn't shut him out of your room though. Cover the windows if you can, to reduce distraction. Buy him some fabulous new toys and a laser pointer for indoor fun.
The only other option is to move the cat door to another room, but I think you should give a nighttime curfew a serious try first. Much better for the cat.