Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do you know???

Belinda & Patty
November 7th, 2007, 07:22 AM
I brought my dad's dog back home with me in March when my dad passed away he is around 8 or 9 yrs old Australian cattle dog i was reading some of the post this morning and wanted to know how do you know if they have arthritis what are some of the signs???? He seems to be doing well but he is about the same age as some of the dogs who have begun to have arthritis on the post so was just wondering when and if what i would look for. Ty Belinda:dog:

mummummum
November 8th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Hmmmm... let's see....if it's in the limbs: a stiffer perhaps stilted gait, a slower walk, less likely to run or runs for shorter periods then seems stiff and muscle sore later on or the next day, a harder time (either having to push or pull themselves up) getting up off the floor, less of a sense of ease on slippery surfaces like tile and wood floors, less likely to and less able to jump and climb, symptoms seem worse in damp, cold weather, swelling around the joints if it's rheumatoid arthritis, periodic slight lameness. Arthritis in the spine is a little more difficult to diagnose.

When Declan was 8 my Vet suggested starting him on Gluco-Chondroitin+MSM even though he was not yet showing signs of "slowing down" simply because of his age and his size.