Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can feral cats be tamed?

Janie123
November 7th, 2007, 07:43 AM
I've always wondered about this. I have only had one encounter with a feral cat and it was not pleasant. He was a big cat with a big head and kept spraying around our house. There was just something about him that made me wary. he didn't look right. My husband went to take him to the SPCA and he bit him. Before Animal Control would come get him,WE had to contain him or my husband had to start rabie shots. Wow,it was like catching a wild bull. Unfortunately,he had to be put down but he did not have rabies. They think he was part bob cat. He would let me pet him but then he would growl. I'm a cat lover but this one had me backing off.:confused:

sugarcatmom
November 7th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Some can, some can't, but there tends to be a rather low success rate for "taming" true feral cats. Through extraordinary patience and understanding, it's possible for them to form a bond with one primary caretaker, but they will likely remain very leery of everybody else. That's why Trap/Neuter/Return (TNR) is generally considered preferable these days to Trap/Neuter/Adopt. Here's some great feral cat info from Alley Cat Allies:
http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/TNRnotTNA.pdf

Janie123
November 7th, 2007, 08:42 AM
There is a colony of feral cats in an area near us. A woman pays to have them neutered after they are caught. When released,she shows up everyday to feed them. A new restaurant owner saw her near his place of business and had her arrested for trespassing. :headslap::mad:His new restaurant isn't doing very well since it was written about in the newspaper. :):grouphug:
She now feeds them in a different place where restaurant owners actually give her left over tidbits to feed her cats.

happycats
November 7th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Yes it is possible, everything sugarcatmom stated, is in my experience to be true.

We have tamed some, and some were only tame with us, not anyone else.
We have also tamed them where they became big sucks and were fine with everyone.
We have also tamed (or at leat he appeared to be coming around), and did try to attack. We never saw him again after that, so I don't know how he would have turned out, had we kept working with him.

I find young ones much easier to tame with a much better success rate.

Chardonnay
November 7th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Some can, some can't, but there tends to be a rather low success rate for "taming" true feral cats. Through extraordinary patience and understanding, it's possible for them to form a bond with one primary caretaker, but they will likely remain very leery of everybody else. That's why Trap/Neuter/Return (TNR) is generally considered preferable these days to Trap/Neuter/Adopt. Here's some great feral cat info from Alley Cat Allies:
http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/TNRnotTNA.pdf

Very true. The younger they are "caught" the better.

I have a formerly feral cat, which I'm having elimination issues with (not due to the fact that he was feral) as I've posted on other threads.

Ripley is my first feral boy. I've had him for about 5 years. I am his "primary caretaker", but he does show affection toward my mom ... if she's cautious. He trusts me for the most part, but he's a new experience without a doubt. Love him. Wouldn't give him up for the world.