Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog getting ticklish in older age?

dmc123
November 6th, 2007, 10:47 PM
My boy Rudy, shepherd mix almost 13 yrs old, gets more ticklish as the months go by. I can hardly touch his back - mid section - without a tickly shudder. No way to brush him without this happening. It doesn't appear to be painful, just like I was gooching him.

Have any of you seen such a thing?

Diane

Janie123
November 7th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Hmmmm,you might ask a vet. Could be neurological at his age.

growler~GateKeeper
November 7th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Does he give you the full body wiggle? Not a big "shake the water off" but quick little wiggles?

Cally used to do the wiggles but only if he was tickled a certain way & lightly, down the middle of his back - with Cally it was just one tickly/itchy spot but I don't know if he did that as a puppy or a young dog cuz I got him as a 6yr old adult :lovestruck:

I miss the wiggles :cloud9:

dmc123
November 7th, 2007, 06:08 PM
growler,

Usually he gives the little wiggles, or starts scratching his belly with his back foot. He saw the vet in April, but I might call and just see if they want to see him. It gets worse - the ticklishness - as months and years go by.

Diane

Winston
November 7th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I can do that to Winston all the time! If I get the right spot he automatically relex's with back leg scratching his tummy! Its actually funny sometimes

Cindy

dmc123
November 7th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks Winston/Cindy,

I was asking mainly because he is getting more ticklish as he gets older. I can pet/stroke his back and it sends him into the willies :) It doesn't appear to be painful, but I was just curious if any one else had seen this.

Diane

Frenchy
November 7th, 2007, 08:58 PM
If I get the right spot he automatically relex's with back leg scratching his tummy! Its actually funny sometimes

Cindy

Sam does the same thing :laughing:

Silver_13
November 13th, 2014, 08:24 PM
dmc123-

Did you ever find out the cause of the increased ticklishness? My black lab mix is closing in on 15yrs and in just the past 4 months he's become more and more ticklish to the point where I can only pat his head now without him wriggling or thumping. And he does the same thing you described your dog as doing... that is, he tries to scratch his belly with his hind foot.

My friend suggested he has allergies so I'm planning on washing him with medicated shampoo, but I haven't ruled out it being a neurological problem. I'd be interested to know what your vet said.

Thanks.