Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog getting ticklish in older age?

dmc123
November 6th, 2007, 09:47 PM
My boy Rudy, shepherd mix almost 13 yrs old, gets more ticklish as the months go by. I can hardly touch his back - mid section - without a tickly shudder. No way to brush him without this happening. It doesn't appear to be painful, just like I was gooching him.

Have any of you seen such a thing?

Diane

Janie123
November 6th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Hmmmm,you might ask a vet. Could be neurological at his age.

growler~GateKeeper
November 7th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Does he give you the full body wiggle? Not a big "shake the water off" but quick little wiggles?

Cally used to do the wiggles but only if he was tickled a certain way & lightly, down the middle of his back - with Cally it was just one tickly/itchy spot but I don't know if he did that as a puppy or a young dog cuz I got him as a 6yr old adult :lovestruck:

I miss the wiggles :cloud9:

dmc123
November 7th, 2007, 05:08 PM
growler,

Usually he gives the little wiggles, or starts scratching his belly with his back foot. He saw the vet in April, but I might call and just see if they want to see him. It gets worse - the ticklishness - as months and years go by.

Diane

Winston
November 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I can do that to Winston all the time! If I get the right spot he automatically relex's with back leg scratching his tummy! Its actually funny sometimes

Cindy

dmc123
November 7th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks Winston/Cindy,

I was asking mainly because he is getting more ticklish as he gets older. I can pet/stroke his back and it sends him into the willies :) It doesn't appear to be painful, but I was just curious if any one else had seen this.

Diane

Frenchy
November 7th, 2007, 07:58 PM
If I get the right spot he automatically relex's with back leg scratching his tummy! Its actually funny sometimes

Cindy

Sam does the same thing :laughing: