Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Salary Workers

want4rain
November 6th, 2007, 05:52 PM
What sort of hours do you work?

And if you dont mind, what do you do?
Do you feel pressured to work more or do you CHOOSE to work those kinds of hours (whatever they may be)?

Thanks!!

-Ashley

Frenchy
November 6th, 2007, 08:42 PM
40 hours for me. It's not that I would cut my hours , but I would love to work from home. Even if I would tell what I do , it's not like people knows what it is ! :laughing: I work for a car dealer , same car company for 19 years now. I could work from home but there some obstacles , but I will one day ! :thumbs up I just hate to be gone for 10 hours a day. :sad:

hazelrunpack
November 6th, 2007, 08:49 PM
The Pack is a full-time job... I work 24/7 for a $25/week allowance :D

hazel works cheap.

Stacer
November 6th, 2007, 09:01 PM
40 hours per week, sometimes more if there's weekend work (hardly ever). I work for the City of Toronto doing ecological restoration in the city's largest park. Fun.

Rottielover
November 6th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I work 35 hours a week, sometimes even that is too much, LOL

Frenchy
November 6th, 2007, 09:14 PM
The Pack is a full-time job... I work 24/7 for a $25/week allowance :D

hazel works cheap.

note to self , if Hazel ever needs an assistant , DON'T APPLY ! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
November 6th, 2007, 09:18 PM
note to self , if Hazel ever needs an assistant , DON'T APPLY ! :laughing:

I can pay room, board, $5/wk and all the setter slobber you'd ever want! :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
November 7th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I work 40 hr/week except in Dec then its 48-54 hr/wk
I work in retail & we are super busy in Dec

In Dec yeah I feel pressured to work extra hours, not much I can do about it though :shrug:

Dogastrophe
November 7th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I work around 60+ if I include the work I do at home (usually not 'required' work, but thinking up process changes). Around 50 to 55 hours is my normal work week. I am the Business/Plant Manager for a wood products company.

clm
November 7th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Under 40 hours a week for me. 4 day week, with flex hours and vacation I take every Friday off. Been with the same company for over 27 years. There are times when it's crazy and more hours are needed. I work as a Planning & Sourcing Analyst for a major Pharmaceutical company.....yes me who can't remember the last time I was at a doctor or had a prescription filled. :laughing:

Cindy

want4rain
November 7th, 2007, 08:54 AM
i work 164 hours a week as a mom, dog walker, cat feeder, house keeper and chef.

i also work 4 hours a week in a nursery. :)

obviously i want the reason i started this poll.

my husband on the other hand is a software engineer and has spent the first stretch of his career working for a company who was slowly filing their employees for layoffs so that part was a bit more reasonable in asking for crazy hours. he worked 40 hour weeks with the occasional 12 hour day.

NOW, the last two companies he has worked for demand at the very least 60 hour work weeks. they even implemented a really nice "Work From Home" program where all of their desktops magically turned into laptops so they can work all the time without their wives b*tching at them!!

the project he has been working the last year on (to be released around Christmas... so get out there and buy SMART PHONES FOLKS!! my hubby worked his fingers off on them!!!) demands at least one day a week being an 18 hour day (either at home or at work... depends on the work that needs to be done), 2 more days where he works 3 time zones to the left and one more where he works on the weekend.

a good week is where he makes it home before dinner 2 days and DOESNT log in before bed.... or it WOULD be good if i could reach back and pull a day like that out of my memory.

one thing i have learned is the perfect husband, the perfect marriage along with the perfect kids comes at the price of a crummy house and a crummy work schedule. :laughing:

id SO rather the perfect husband with a crummy job than a crummy husband with the perfect job!! but it sure would be nice to see him every so often!

-ash

white wrabbit
November 7th, 2007, 10:25 AM
i am a oh what is the term domestic engineer????:laughing::laughing: on the job 24/7 and take calls in the middle of the night.. in charge of all the "dirty jobs" in the house...

want4rain
November 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM
yep WR thats me!!! my "job" is my hobby. :)

ok ok ok, i work for the membership!!

-ash

clm
November 7th, 2007, 11:11 AM
W4R, obviously different jobs and different people will affect the number of hours per week. My previous job with this same company, it was not at all unusual for me to have to work at least 2 weekends per month, 3 or 4 evenings per month, usually had to work a lot of stat holidays and numerous days over the christmas break, then on call for any time I wasn't in. Hubby is in IT and he's never worked a 40 hour week, always 60 to 80. I loved my previous job too and it never bothered me pulling the odd all nighter or working weekends and over christmas and holidays when everyone else was off. Went with the territory, hubby the same thing with his.

Cindy

Love4himies
November 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I work about 35 hours per week as a Financial Analyst in a University. Pay is low, but I have a great boss and very flexible hours so I can't complain. Get time off for vet visits and nursing sick kittens so what can be better:D.

Ford Girl
November 7th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I work 35 hours a week for a financial company as a facilities manager. I have to ask if I need to work OT, it needs to be approved. I use to for for oil and gas companies and was working 45+ per week plus OT was expected of me....it all got too much, I;m too young to be working that much. So, I left the industry and here I am, happy as can be. I love my job.

Of course I'd like to stay at home if I could. :shrug:

Jim Hall
November 7th, 2007, 11:26 AM
i put in abnout 50 hrs as a business to business telemarketer
We work with contractors a lot so i usually start call around 7 am
i work form home so its a pretty sweet deal

mummummum
November 7th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Once upon a nightmare I routinely worked 60-80 hours per week. Then my mind, body & spirit decided that was enough of that and shut me down. Now, I work between 35 and 40 hours per week. It means my career is likely dead-ended but....on the upside ~ I'm alive!

Winston
November 7th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Wow ! What a variety of people on this site!

I work for CRA (government) as an Information Technology Analyst. I have been there 16 years now. I work 40 hrs a week...Flex hours if I need to! and the best thing is that our contract has many benefits which give us alot of time off if needed.

The sad part is I am one of those people that sets other people up to work from home! :yell: and I have to go into the office!!! Maybe one of these days I will be able to work from home!!! not likely though...:yell:

For the first 10 years of this job I also worked for my hubby who was self employed...we owned a pizzeria...that was 110 hours a week! and I would never ever do it again! you really have no life at that point!

Cindy

chico2
November 7th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Well,we are happily retired,I already did at 50 and happily so,,but between the cats,Bailey,home-renos and the odd request from my sons,we are kept really active,but the good thing is,if we do not want to do anything one day,we don't:thumbs upexcept for the cats and Bailey,of course:cat::dog:

krdahmer
November 7th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I work about 3 hours a week... Hubby is a real slave driver!!!:rolleyes::laughing:

I do his books and run our home office but I'm pretty organized so it's easy work. I tried doing some data entry but it was too much tedious work for so little money. I consider the cats and house my real full time job. (And some days it IS a full time job... ;) )

shredy
November 7th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I am in nursing school and as part of our curriculum I work in the hospital about 25 hours a week, and have class 12 hours a week, study 50+ hours a week!! :wall::wall: BUT.... I am almost done and this semester is winding down so i hardly have any work anymore. I get to play with Chloe and study to take my boards after graduation in December. After that I will be working 3 12 hour shifts in the emergency department at a great hospital!! that means 4 days off a week to do whatever I want! :D:D

Bearsmom
November 8th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I work 10 hour days 0700-1700 hrs and 14 hour nights from 1700-0700 hrs, so my hours of work vary greatly with lots of time off.

PS I'm a fire extinguisher:laughing: