Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I could have written this article...

Ford Girl
November 6th, 2007, 04:56 PM
http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

I read this and thought to myself...wow, this golden is exactly like Dazy. I have been told this by my trainer and have observed this in her interaction with other dogs, I can tell from first glance if she will like or dislike a dog.

Thought it was neat to come across an article that sounded like what we are going thru.

TMac
November 6th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I have seen this article before. Very well said!!!!

luckypenny
November 9th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Ford Girl, thank you so much for posting that link. It's been a while since I've visited Suzanne Clothier's website. Too bad I hadn't seen it earlier; I would have loved to attend her seminar that was held in Toronto this past September :sad:.

I've been looking everywhere for more info to give me a little 'extra' help with Penny's behavior and how to deal with it. It's rather reassuring to read that her reactions to rude behavior is pretty normal. I've printed out the tips Suzanne provides in reference to the "fool factor" as well as her "DOs and DON'Ts" to remind me daily of what else it is I should be doing.

Thanks again :) .

Longblades
November 9th, 2007, 10:26 AM
That's a geat article. I think I will print it out and put in the mailbox of all the parents with kids who run wild in the park behind my house, give to to the parents of kids on the ice when I skate, give to the police when I loose my cool and slap a couple of the little monsters.

Yeah, well, as the song says, I can dream, can't I?

Seriously, I would really like someone to deal with the young hooligans who make my 89 year old mother afraid to take the bus because they might push/shove her down the steps, this way.

Ford Girl
November 9th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Ford Girl, thank you so much for posting that link. It's been a while since I've visited Suzanne Clothier's website. Too bad I hadn't seen it earlier; I would have loved to attend her seminar that was held in Toronto this past September :sad:.

I've been looking everywhere for more info to give me a little 'extra' help with Penny's behavior and how to deal with it. It's rather reassuring to read that her reactions to rude behavior is pretty normal. I've printed out the tips Suzanne provides in reference to the "fool factor" as well as her "DOs and DON'Ts" to remind me daily of what else it is I should be doing.

Thanks again :) .

You are welcome, when I read this I was happy to know that what I had been told and been working on was also stated in this article, even tho I know not to believe everything I read I still believe in this theory and that this is the root of our problem with puppies and rude dogs.

I wonder about the part about dogs who have a low tolerance for rudeness have they themselves been told off rather harshly as pups...Dazy was told off several times, but 2 times in particular scared the crap out of her and were both just a bit across the line between telling off and attacking.

When we are out and about her body language says it all, and the approaching dogs does too...last night we met several dogs, one was a large doby who bounced it's way over, pouncing and boucing and in her face, butt in the air, arms wrapped around her, she turned away from it, it continued, she submitted to it by laying down and it jumped on her to play, she showed her teeth and it continued, they next step was to lundge snapping and growling at it...it then back away, and the owner said to me, "wow, she's sure doesn't like my dog, he;'s trying to play" - the look on her face was nothing but disgust in Dazy's "attack" on her very large rambuncious doby. I just smiled and tried to walk away. It out weight Dazy but alot, yet she had the "balls" to get to the snapping point, from what I saw, she gave 3 warnings, which is more then plenty. I did my part to move along on our off leash walk, the doby blocked her way so I was unable to assit her in manageing the situation. The doby was friendly, and appeared to be greating her with enthusiasm, however it was very rude in the doggie world.

The second dog was an even bigger rottie, and he walked up to her, turned side ways, he sniffed, she sniffed, both standing, then she layed down to let him investigate her, then they played, no snapping, no agression or defensivness from Dazy at all. Simple. There was a huge difference in the meet and greet.

Then further down the field, I saw the doby do the same thing to the rottie, and the rottie couldn't get away fast enough. They didn't play.

This thinking has really helped me manage the puppy situations, and the off leash park issues we have had. There are signs and indicators right from the very second 2 dogs see each other. I love it! Makes me feel much less nervous and more in control, which in return allows Dazy to do her thing without being so stressed out about it!

Love4himies
November 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Great article to post, Fordgirl. I think the same can apply to cats as well. Kittens that just won't leave an adult alone until the adult takes a swipe.

TMac
November 10th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Exaaaaaactly!!!

When we are out and about her body language says it all, and the approaching dogs does too...last night we met several dogs, one was a large doby who bounced it's way over, pouncing and boucing and in her face, butt in the air, arms wrapped around her, she turned away from it, it continued, she submitted to it by laying down and it jumped on her to play, she showed her teeth and it continued, they next step was to lundge snapping and growling at it...it then back away, and the owner said to me, "wow, she's sure doesn't like my dog, he;'s trying to play" - the look on her face was nothing but disgust in Dazy's "attack" on her very large rambuncious doby. I just smiled and tried to walk away.

FordGirl, you are getting to be a total pro at reading doggie body language!! Well done!

It out weight Dazy but alot, yet she had the "balls" to get to the snapping point, from what I saw, she gave 3 warnings, which is more then plenty.

Yep - who cares what the other owner says. Dazy gave fair warning to the dog and told him/her to BACK OFF.

I did my part to move along on our off leash walk, the doby blocked her way so I was unable to assit her in manageing the situation.

One thing my trainer showed me once, that you could try next time if the dog blocks Dazy's way,is step right into the middle and use your body to split them up and/or move the other dog away from Dazy. No arms or hands or anything (you don't want to risk a bite), but just sort of "Hip Check" your way through there.

You go, girls! :thumbs up