Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I know I am going to catch it for this one

WOODY
May 30th, 2004, 05:20 AM
:D
First of all I am not condeming anyone for what they do or when they do it. Secondly I am not Canadian.
Lastly I am an animal lover and I like them, for the most part, - fur kids - better than human kids.....
Having said that I now feel like Lincoln sitting in Ford's theatre...
I am amazed at the number of people who write in about scary and horrific situations with their animals and who take the time to ask what to do while the animal is having seizures - trying to walk and falling over - vomiting their insides out - etc- you get the picture?
To me it seems akin to writing into an information board asking what to do about a gunshot wound.
How about throwing the victim in the car and getting them emergency treatment-then telling us about it?
I realize there are situations that are not life threatning and inquiries can supply information that is both helpful and educational.
I also realize some of us may have time, resources and are unfettered by family commitments which allow us to drop everything and take the ailing fur kid to the doctors when it sniffles, but I wonder how many of the people who write in would if it was their human kid?
Just curious. And I've had my coffee and will be able to defend myself , comments and dodge bullets.LOL
WOODY. :D

Karin
May 30th, 2004, 06:10 AM
I have often wondered the same thing Woody.

chico2
May 30th, 2004, 08:58 AM
I agree Woody,if any of my furry kids would be seriously ill,I certainly would not calmly sit and print out a question on my PC.
My Rocky did have a couple of seizures a few months ago,but I also knew they were a side-effect of stress-meds he was on,no need for the vet,just a call telling her what had happened and the meds were off.
My first post here,was because of Rocky(my Tabby)having attacked me and I ended up in emergency and on medication for a few weeks.
Putting him down was out of the question,I needed a solution other than that.His attack was triggered by a strange cat outside,totally out of the norm for Rocky.Lucky kindly suggested meds and the vet agreed,although they did not work out.
Mostly posts here originate from inexperience and sadly lack of funds,money should not be an issue,but unfortunately it often is the deciding factor whether an animal lives or dies.

Lucky Rescue
May 30th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Sadly enough, some people who CAN afford the vet don't want to "shell out", and we have people here saying basically, "I'll take him to the vet as a last resort."(or not at all.)

Caught a show the other day. This guy's Lab stepped on a broken bottle in a pond. Although the dog was crying and bleeding profusely, the owner didn't take her to the vet but merely bandaged the paw "as best I could". So infection set in, and when he finally did take her to the vet, the leg had to be amputated. This dog suffered the agony of the infection AND losing a leg merely because the owner was too cheap to have it treated. But he ended up spending a whole lot more for the amputation. AND made himself sound like a hero for paying for the surgery, although he did consider having her killed.

When my dog got a stick down her throat, I sure didn't come here and wait for advice while she was gagging and bleeding, but went straight from the scene of the accident to the vet, just as would if I, or another person, had an accident or were gravely ill. :rolleyes:

deerclan
May 30th, 2004, 11:04 AM
I would certainly take my pet to the vet if they were not feeling well.I also would not waste my time asking whats wrong with my pet on a message board.
The persons who ask these questions online i can only offer one piece of advice,If it is that serious then just take your pet to the vet and come back and tell us what happen so we can learn from what has happen to you and your pet

For the persons who can't afford to take your pet to the vet then borrow or beg for the money please don't let your pet suffer.I for one don't judge anyone here that can't afford good medical care for their pet im not in your situation but there are always options.

I hope i didn't hert anyones feelings.

DeerClan

Chany
May 30th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Don't worry about dodging Woody :) . I think you've all said it best.
But Woody I'm also going to assume you've never had children? Correct me if I'm wrong ;)

deerclan
May 30th, 2004, 12:59 PM
I'm not dodging Woody :D I have 7 kids 1 dog 1 cat and 1 bird,the fact that woody likes his animals rather than human kids is fine by me. :D
Everyone is entitled to his or her own oppinions,I personally come here to get more info on being a better pet owner and not pass any judgment but thats just me,If i don't like what someone has to say because they are being silly or ignorant i choose not to post. :D

We here at our home treat our animals with the same respect and love as humans. :D

DeerClan

Luba
May 30th, 2004, 01:04 PM
I like how you worded that Deerclan!

We are all subject to our own views values and opinions.

Sometimes when we express them others jump down our throats because of it. Yet they're the first ones to ask for help and advise. Then when we give it, they don't like it. Doesn't that just figure.

Usually with those ones I tend to post information not for 'them' as much as for another person who may be reading the post, a new member, a guest or someone with a similar problem.

There are so many things we don't know that it's good to keep an open mind (keep the air fresh upstairs ;) )

vedwards
May 30th, 2004, 01:41 PM
In response to the lack of owners taking their pets to the vet. I am not sure if this is available in Canada, but here in the U.S. we have the priveledge of getting insurance for them. I currently have policies for both of my dogs. It is quite inexpensive in the long run. For the upgraded policy, which provides double coverage for accidents and illness and the routine care which provides for yearly vaccinations, teath cleening etc, and for an additional policy providing 20,000 in additional cancer coverage above what is provided in the original policy, I pay just 35.00 per month for one dog and 30.00 per month for the other. Age determines the cost of course, but if you start when they are pups, coverage is quite inexpensive. More people should take advantage of this, it has paid for itself already. As pet owners we never know when accidents or illness can strike. I know that I feel alot better knowing that money will never be an issue again when it comes to my dog's healthcare. If anyone is interested, they can call 1-800-USA-PETS. check, coverage may be available to you in Canada as well.

deerclan
May 30th, 2004, 02:24 PM
vedwards...Yes we have pet insurance here in Canada,I myself have purchased some for our cat and new dog :D

DeerClan

cmt489
May 30th, 2004, 02:27 PM
My only response to this post is well put everyone!! :) I call the vet as soon as ANYTHING appears to be even a little bit off and, if anything at all happens, said pet is immediately packed in the car and off to the vet!! :eek:

Michelle

p.s. And oh yeah, I have pet insurance for both fur babies as well!

Bill & Bob
May 30th, 2004, 03:11 PM
The thing I don't understand, although I haven't looked at where it is on this site...There's a warning somewhere that even states that if your pet is in a dire situation or requires immediate medical attention to not post here. Rather take the pet to the vet. I guess if you were worried, you might not even hesitate at the warning though.
If you're that worried though, I wouldn't even consider looking at my computer, but rather deal with the pet itself. I think we've become somewhat accustomed to finding answers to lots of our questions on the internet though. Want the weather, a phone number, a movie schedule, the news, music, TV schedule, etc. etc. etc. etc. it's so easy to find now by just double clicking on your browser.

Karin
May 30th, 2004, 03:22 PM
In the summer of '02 I was getting ready to leave one morning, carrying my purse to my truck as I was taking Ciara for a potty break, she bumped her shoulder on the rear bumper of the truck and screamed in pain. I dropped everything right there, picked up her wailing 85 lb. body and loaded her. ( I was 2 months out of surgery myself and not suppose to use my right arm)
I was at our new vet's in 5 minutes and rushed right in. Exam, Rad's & something to ease the pain..total of $ 159.00 later for a simple bruise. Ciara is such a wimp. I'd do it all over again any time. Left my purse in the driveway with my cash & check book, I never thought about it until it was time to pay. My purse was still there when I came home and I sent a check to Dr.Stapler.
Last thing on my mind was to log on the internet., or anything else for that matter.

Luba
May 30th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Interesting story Karin. I think many of us have done the same sort of thing ;)

I remember the first time I cut a dogs nails and hit the quick....I thought that was the end of the world. Loaded the dog in the car and rushed to the vets, carrying him in through the door screaming 'help help'

They were very sympathetic, stopped the bleeding and didn't even charge me. Not to mention, I got a little lesson on nail cutting.

Karin
May 30th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Lmao Luba!

I can do anything, ANYTHING to Ciara...except a simple nail trim.....*amputates the toe's & paw's if you listen to her side!*

Geesh! Such grief! I would rather dig my left eyeball out with a spoon than trim Ciara's nail's...Omg, I am in panic mode myself just thinking about it! My vet hates it too...
I can trim ANY dogs nails....I trim hooves on goats too. No problem at all.
I can draw blood samples single handed, * blindfolded* and all I get is grief for a Peticure..no typo.

Tomorrow is bath day and the dreaded nail trim, ear cleaning, anal gland expression and basic inspection ...wish me luck....nail trim only.

Geesh....

WOODY
May 30th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Chany asked "But Woody I'm also going to assume you've never had children? AH ha the "assume game" again....Actually I have two children. Both in their late 30's.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open.....LOL

Chany stated "Correct me if I'm wrong." Woody responds " Consider yourself corrected...LOL "
:D

Bill & Bob
May 30th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Yeah, kids are great. The little buggers that the guy upstairs is babysitting must have heard the water running when I got into the shower this morning. Within short order I'm cringing at the back of the shower as my feet get boiled and I'm trying to reach to shut the water off as they flush the toilet at least five times while I was in there. I'm sure they knew what they were doing. Evil children.
Brought back memories of my two older brothers and the nasty games we used to play on each other when we were younger.

I used to run down the stairs before them at breakfast time. When my Mom would make us porrige, I'd make sure to put salt all over theres to make it look like it was sugar. Of course Mom wouldn't believe them and made them eat the whole bowl anyway. "We don't waste food in this house!" Very funny.

Karin
May 30th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Woody, love your parachute anology....

I skydive.

Only two things fall from the sky..bird sh$t and fools...I love that one.

If at first you fail, so much for skydiving...

The last 1/2 inch hurts the worse when the 'chute fails.

Cut a way if there is no shade....(pull reserve now)

Chany
May 30th, 2004, 05:21 PM
O.K O.K but now I'm going to assume you don't have grandchildren? And believe me I don't bet the farm on assumptions!! :D :D

WOODY
May 30th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Charny states "O.K O.K but now I'm going to assume you don't have grandchildren?" Woody responds "Wrong again, I have two grand daughters. "

Charny is getting smarter when she says "And believe me I don't bet the farm on assumptions!!" "Woody responds Atta Girl"
I have children and grandchildren however:
#1 I have been in animal rescue longer than I have had children.
#2 My fur kids have never wrecked a car.
#3 it isn't that I don't love my children, it is just that I have never been a cuddly, child oriented, gibberish spewing - father. A trait many have gone to some lengths to point out. My first wife (their mother) said I was a typical male and would enjoy children when the could interact with me and I could relate to them...I must have slept through that period.LOL
I have not understood children from the get go and never had any urge to create in my own image. (Both my children are adopted).

Children are fine for those who have them and want them and mine are excellent examples of self sufficiency. As they near 40 they have established lives. My fur kids continue to need me and my wife and we continue to care for all that come our way.
Woody :D

Chany
May 30th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Woody you don't have to worry I will never go nor have I ever had the urge to go to Vegas or to even gamble around here. Those people that spend countless hours feeding machines at those odds IMO don't work hard enough for their money! ;)
As far as your first wife's comment about you being a typical male thankfully are wrong. I have yet to meet a gibberish spewing father :confused: . I wouldn't know what one looked like :D Times they are a changing and more and more fathers are involved with their children because more and more of us mothers are working outside the home. :o I work so my husband doesn't have to hold 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet so that my kids will have time with their father, they need that. I, myself was extremely close to my father and believe me there is no better feeling in the world than being daddy's girl. :) Enough babbling!!Sorry! :rolleyes: :D
I'm glad your there for your fur babies and as far as assuming anything with YOU I have learned my lesson :rolleyes: :D

Catt31
May 30th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Tim is a gibberish spewing father...to Brick!! OMG,he is sooo cute - any chance he gets he could blab for hours about Brick and the things he can do and does!!! Does that count?? Seeing as we aren't going to have kids, Brick is as close as it gets!!! :D

mona_b
May 31st, 2004, 09:43 AM
I always wonder the same thing.They come on here and their fur babies are very sick and some dying.They are asking for advise and what to do.Whould they go on a site for parents and do the same?

Chany,I too am daddys girl.Alway was and always will be.Yes there are other siblings.But it was always me and dad going to the cottage,fishing,or my aunts farm.And this is "without" my mom.And to get that hug from him,and hearing him always say he loves me means the world to me.And he thinks the world of my daughter.Yes both parents worked.They are VERY European.They were born in Europe.When my parents split up,I was dragged awayfrom my dad.But after 2 months,I was back with daddy.Why?Cause that is where I belonged.And I was 12 at the time.

As for my daughter,she was raised without a father.And was born with a club foot...She has become a beautiful 17 year old.And I have been told many times I did very well with her upbringing.And Kyra and I are VERY close.Heck people thing we are sisters....(she hates that..lol)...So when I hear that children are better off in a two parent home,I beg to differ.I know a few people who have raised their kids on their own,and they have turned out just fine....... :)

I love my animals.And if there was something seriously wrong,they would be going straight to the vets....I would not spend a minute on here asking what to do.

Karin
May 31st, 2004, 07:44 PM
Well Melanie., I just cancelled out a long post in answer to yours.

I have strong feelings about this, and I find it is better left unsaid right now.

I do not have the time right now, someone else will have to take it...

melanie
May 31st, 2004, 08:01 PM
each to their own, my opinions are mine and should be treated as such. please dont be angry with me for my opinions and beliefs, as that is all they are :D

melanie
May 31st, 2004, 11:38 PM
hi all i have deleted my previous post as i doubt some will understand or be able to wrap their brain around it and i dont want to deal with the anger, basically it said what i have said before, that not everyone treats their animals the way we do or share our beliefs about animal care, this is fine with me and i totally understand it as a factor of cultural differences, lifestyle, financial reasons etc. tolerance for all types even if they dont do what we do or believe in what we do.

Luba
June 1st, 2004, 12:37 AM
I missed that one but maybe it's best I did...I yap too much on here sometimes LMAOOO

DO NOT hold me to that ANYONE!!!

chico2
June 1st, 2004, 09:32 AM
Mona,I too was raised without a father,like your daughter,he left when I was 4,my mom and I were dirt-poor,but she instilled in me,respect for all living things and myself..
Yes,I missed a dad on many occasions,but mom and I and our cat was my family,never was I lacking in love and care.

melanie
June 1st, 2004, 05:36 PM
my sister is a single mother of two and many of my girlfriends are to (i have one male friend who is a single father, he is disabled and has a wooden leg, which fascinates the kids, i tell the kids he forgot to get a leg :p ). and they do a wonderful job. they od a great job and work so hard, it doesnt matter how many people raise you or who they were, as long as you are loved and cared for not much else matters. go single parent power, you single parents should be bloody proud of yourselves.