Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice for me and Lisa

Dorothea
November 6th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I have a delightful 4 year old Silver St Poodle. We are both saying Hello for the first time to you all.
She is friendly, playfull,healthy and very routine loving.
I take her out to a beautiful park for an hour long run every morning. She seems to know which dogs anr not too fond of playing with her and respects them.
Ever since July 1st (fircrackers) have frightened her while playing with her in the backyard, she refuses to go out to relieve herself before kennel time.She will happily come out on a leash through the front door for a walk regardless of new bangs and strange noises. Now with winter on the way and salt on the road, I don't know how I can help her to feel safe in our backyard.
There have been several times when she has not voided all day without any negative results during the night, I wonder if this can cause problems in the future if this continues as she ages.
Dorothea and Lisa

pitgrrl
November 6th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I had a similar problem with one of my dogs a couple of summers ago after getting stuck in a thunderstorm. He decided going north from my house was absolutely terrifying. South was fine, but north wasn't happening.:rolleyes:

What worked for him was a combo of things. He's pretty intense about his squeek toys, so I'd get him all riled up in the house until he was so focused on the toy that he wasn't paying attention to much else, and then we'd quickly, getting him to follow the toy, run out of the house and around the corner in the direction he didn't want to go, then let him have a good tug and return home. The next day we'd go a bit further north (like literally 5 feet more), then further and further, always keeping him focused on the toy and never forcing him to go further than was comfortable. We also did the same with really high value food, but since he's really a toy driven dog that's what worked best.

I also used Bach Flower Remedies (specifically Rock Rose and Millimus I believe, but you can certainly find plenty of info if you google....) and would use different routes to get to the area he was scared of. A different approach seemed to change his perspective enough to get him used to those areas again without a total panic attack.

If/when he would start to freak out once we were in the "scary area", I would work on basic commands to keep him occupied and/or get him to run, which seemed to really help.

(in case anyone is wondering, yes, I did look like a crazy lady throwing squeek toys down the street, sprinting up and down the block and playing really intense games of tug in the middle of a busy commercial area, but hey, if you won't look like a freak for your dog..........:laughing:)

Above all though, don't baby the dog, just act like everything is great and normal. I think it's a bit of a game of patience, baby steps seem to work far better in these types of situations than trying to force it and creating more stress.

ancientgirl
November 6th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I've got no advice for you, but I just wanted to tell you what an absolute beauty you have there. She's precious.

chico2
November 6th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I agree,she's a beautiful girl:lovestruck:

Janie123
November 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM
She is so beautiful. I have never had a poodle as a pet,always Yorkies. But what a pretty girl she is! Is her name Lisa?

Lilybug
November 9th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I don't have any advice either...sorry! I also wanted to comment on how beautiful she is! She is a gorgeous silver! I too have a standard poodle (spoo) - she is a two year old black, named Lily! I am currently trying to talk my husband into getting a second spoo - and I would love to get a silver!

Dorothea
November 10th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I think Lisa knows too much but I am still hoping that she will get over some of her idiosyncrasies! She is so delightful and fun loving